Friends at 6"+ lift, how do you not have vibes? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Friends at 6"+ lift, how do you not have vibes?

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO 8.8 Swap Kit w/ TRUSS for JeepsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-15-2015, 08:41 PM   #1
mxjosh
2004 WJ 

Friends at 6"+ lift, how do you not have vibes?

I currently have an IRO 6.5" critical path kit with a double cardan front shaft and can't get rid of my vibes. I know some are from the rear, but I plan on going with an IRO A-arm to help Center my axle and set pinion angle, but I know some are from the front shaft as well. I have my caster set at 4 degrees (recommended). I've heard with a double cardan you should be able to set your caster and not have to many issues with your pinion angle with that shaft. Is this just a completely false statement? I have all new u-joins BTW. Just looking for suggestions.....

18x10 Moto Metals 33" Duratracs
mxjosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2015, 12:39 AM   #2
MoonyJohn
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxjosh View Post
I currently have an IRO 6.5" critical path kit with a double cardan front shaft and can't get rid of my vibes. I know some are from the rear, but I plan on going with an IRO A-arm to help Center my axle and set pinion angle, but I know some are from the front shaft as well. I have my caster set at 4 degrees (recommended). I've heard with a double cardan you should be able to set your caster and not have to many issues with your pinion angle with that shaft. Is this just a completely false statement? I have all new u-joins BTW. Just looking for suggestions.....
Are you just running the rear a arm spacer at the moment? A new a arm wont help center the axle. There is nothing to center, theres no track bar. The adjustability of the iro a arm would help reduce rear vibes though. As for the front im not 100% sure. I ran almost 7" of lift in the front of my old wj and never had any problems. Is your pinion set to the max for the a arm?

Kind of bad picture. But its what mine was set at

Unread 01-16-2015, 04:54 AM   #3
mxjosh
2004 WJ 

Sorry I should have specified, I meant center the rear wheels in the wheel well, not center the axle left to right. I have my caster bracket maxed out in the opposite direction in order to run 4 degree of caster. How is it that our brackets are maxed out completely opposite? What was your caster setting? Did you have any vibes or wander? I'm running over 7" lift in the front (6.5" springs + 3/4" spacers). Did you use the transfer case drop? I don't current have mine installed because I heard not to use it.
Unread 01-16-2015, 10:25 AM   #4
MoonyJohn
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Sorry I should have specified, I meant center the rear wheels in the wheel well, not center the axle left to right. I have my caster bracket maxed out in the opposite direction in order to run 4 degree of caster. How is it that our brackets are maxed out completely opposite? What was your caster setting? Did you have any vibes or wander? I'm running over 7" lift in the front (6.5" springs + 3/4" spacers). Did you use the transfer case drop? I don't current have mine installed because I heard not to use it.
Could you get a picture of yours?

I couldnt tell you the degree of caster because I dont have that jeep anymore, but I never had any problems with it set at that.

Just curious if there is a reason your running 3/4" spacers on top of 6.5"? 33's should fit perfectly without the spacer. That would help vibes out on its own if the spacer was out. I never installed the TC drop either. Whats the point of lifting your belly ground clearance and then dropping it back down another inch?
Unread 01-16-2015, 11:56 AM   #5
mxjosh
2004 WJ 

I'll snap a pic when I get home. The only reason for running the 3/4" spacer was to go for a more level look, nothing to do with tire fitment. You didn't have any wandering issues with that setup up (due to poor caster)?

As far as the TC drop, I would sacrifice the inch of clearance to improve drive-ability if I know for sure it will help vibes. But everyone seems to say it will only help the rear not the front, I can't understand how that is from trying to picture it in my head, maybe I would have to crawl under and take a look, but how would it not help both front and rear angles if the whole thing is dropped an inch?
Unread 01-16-2015, 02:41 PM   #6
MoonyJohn
2004 WJ 

Quote:
I'll snap a pic when I get home. The only reason for running the 3/4" spacer was to go for a more level look, nothing to do with tire fitment. You didn't have any wandering issues with that setup up (due to poor caster)?

As far as the TC drop, I would sacrifice the inch of clearance to improve drive-ability if I know for sure it will help vibes. But everyone seems to say it will only help the rear not the front, I can't understand how that is from trying to picture it in my head, maybe I would have to crawl under and take a look, but how would it not help both front and rear angles if the whole thing is dropped an inch?
Gotcha, I did that too actually but needed the room for 35s

It never drove poorly, only in the wind lol. Maybe try the TC drop before you spend the coin on the A arm.. might be your ticket. Im not sure what people are talking about making it only help the rear?
Unread 01-16-2015, 02:56 PM   #7
mxjosh
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonyJohn View Post
Gotcha, I did that too actually but needed the room for 35s

It never drove poorly, only in the wind lol. Maybe try the TC drop before you spend the coin on the A arm.. might be your ticket. Im not sure what people are talking about making it only help the rear?
Well I would really like the A-arm to get the rear wheels back in the middle of the wheel well so it can flex and not rub like crazy. Right now my rear wheels are a half inch from my side skirts due to pinion angle. I have lower adjustable control arms right now.
Unread 01-16-2015, 02:58 PM   #8
MoonyJohn
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Well I would really like the A-arm to get the rear wheels back in the middle of the wheel well so it can flex and not rub like crazy. Right now my rear wheels are a half inch from my side skirts due to pinion angle. I have lower adjustable control arms right now.
Ah, well the lowers will be the main adjutable part, and the uppers will fix the angle. Mine ran like that for a long time, never rubbed. Looks like its going to but it wont. Push it back too much and the rear bumper will need to be trimmed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.