Free laptop software for Grand Cherokee?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Free laptop software for Grand Cherokee??

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-27-2013, 04:02 AM   #1
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Free laptop software for Grand Cherokee??

Does anyone know of any laptop software for our cars? When I ran Alfa's (hence screen name) there was loads of good free software. Im not too worried about resetting codes etc (although that would be nice)..Im more concerned about seeing live data when I test drive her after work. I know you can get apps for phones but most dont do live data and even if they do its a bit difficult to see that tiny screen on the move!! Any ideas?

Unread 03-27-2013, 06:15 AM   #2
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

I use torque for my smartphone, it streams live data where supported and can save/email logs of what's going on when you aren't able to watch. There is a program called ScanXL that works on the laptop, but it's not freeware. That isn't to say you can't get it for free, only that you shouldn't. I find the data streaming very laggy though compared to my phone and I'm not sure if it's ScanXL or if it's just my old laptop and crappy bluetooth dongle.
"Bought, Not Built"
lazyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 06:23 AM   #3
lance-tek
2001 WJ 

Not an answer but, out of curiosity what ODBII or 3 unit (or other interface) are you guys using?

[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/built-not-bought/"]Built Not Bought # 736[/URL][/CENTER]

[color=red][B][CENTER]What WJ parts do you want from the JY? Send me a PM and I will let you know what's in stock[/CENTER][/B][/color]
lance-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 07:21 AM   #4
ZeJokee
1993 ZJ 

I use torque for android as well. I have the pro version. It actually just saved me a few thousand on the Ford I just bought. Showed several codes during the test drive. Showed it to the dealer and they dropped the price and fixed the issues with no questions. Wish I would of had torque when I bought my WJ. Would of saved a lot of headaches.
99 WJ Ltd, Blacked out, 4.7L, 242j Swap, 2'' BB, 245/75/16 Kuhmo Venture AT KL78, Flow Master Super 40, MagnaFlow high flow Cat, Akebono caliper upgrade, Addco rear swaybar, Westin brush guard, Moog Super Trail Boss, Rancho RS5000, Rola roof rack with dual kayak J hooks, PAC-AOEM-CHR, Sony Xplod 1200w amp, 2 Sony Xplod 12'' subs, 118,XXX miles (SOLD)
93 ZJ Ltd, Blacked out, 5.2L, Reman 46RH, Reman 242 Swap, 3.5'' IRO + 2" BB, 33x12.50r15 Mud Claw MTX radials, Bushwacker Flares, 216,XXX miles (Still parked in NC)
04 F-350 SD Crew Cab FX4 Lariat, 6.0 PSD SRW, Head studs, AFE Stage 2 SI Pro Guard 7 intake, Blue Spring mod, 150,XXX Miles

ZeJokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 07:30 AM   #5
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance-tek View Post
Not an answer but, out of curiosity what ODBII or 3 unit (or other interface) are you guys using?
I have always used an ELM interface (if that means anything your side of the pond!) on my Alfas and VWs so in hopIng it will work on my Jeep too.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using JeepForum
Unread 03-27-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

I use the ELM interface as well. I got a knockoff bluetooth model on ebay for about $15.
"Bought, Not Built"
Unread 03-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #7
lance-tek
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyWJ View Post
I use the ELM interface as well. I got a knockoff bluetooth model on ebay for about $15.
I have the ELM 327, it sounds like the same as you. I have noticed that if I keep in plugged in for a few days without taking it out. It causes problems until I remove it. Have you had any similar experiences? Just curious...

I thought about getting something different but, since I saw this thread I thought I would inquire

Thanks,

-lance

[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/built-not-bought/"]Built Not Bought # 736[/URL][/CENTER]

[color=red][B][CENTER]What WJ parts do you want from the JY? Send me a PM and I will let you know what's in stock[/CENTER][/B][/color]
Unread 03-27-2013, 01:03 PM   #8
ZeJokee
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance-tek View Post
I have the ELM 327, it sounds like the same as you. I have noticed that if I keep in plugged in for a few days without taking it out. It causes problems until I remove it. Have you had any similar experiences? Just curious...

I thought about getting something different but, since I saw this thread I thought I would inquire

Thanks,

-lance
I have a ELM 327 I got off ebay too. I leave it plugged in all the time. Never had a problem with it. I left it plugged in for 2 weeks while I was out of town. Came back and jeep fired right up and was able to see live data with torque cost like $27 or something. Identical too this one.

99 WJ Ltd, Blacked out, 4.7L, 242j Swap, 2'' BB, 245/75/16 Kuhmo Venture AT KL78, Flow Master Super 40, MagnaFlow high flow Cat, Akebono caliper upgrade, Addco rear swaybar, Westin brush guard, Moog Super Trail Boss, Rancho RS5000, Rola roof rack with dual kayak J hooks, PAC-AOEM-CHR, Sony Xplod 1200w amp, 2 Sony Xplod 12'' subs, 118,XXX miles (SOLD)
93 ZJ Ltd, Blacked out, 5.2L, Reman 46RH, Reman 242 Swap, 3.5'' IRO + 2" BB, 33x12.50r15 Mud Claw MTX radials, Bushwacker Flares, 216,XXX miles (Still parked in NC)
04 F-350 SD Crew Cab FX4 Lariat, 6.0 PSD SRW, Head studs, AFE Stage 2 SI Pro Guard 7 intake, Blue Spring mod, 150,XXX Miles

ZeJokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 01:42 PM   #9
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

That's like what I have. I've left mine plugged in for weeks as well, no problems. I was actually going to buy a couple more on ebay and just leave one connected to each vehicle so I never have to dig for it to check a code. Assuming I don't forget my phone of course
"Bought, Not Built"
Unread 03-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #10
lance-tek
2001 WJ 

I see, my model is different. It's probably the one I have has an issue since its not standard for you/your model.

Thanks,

-lance

Unread 03-27-2013, 03:48 PM   #11
itsmeonjeep
1999 WJ 

Alfaitalia: what ELM did you get? And was this for your Alfa ? I've just picked up a GTV Lusso model and would be good to know if I can use the same unit on both cars.
Unread 03-27-2013, 05:07 PM   #12
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

It is a 327 but as its for a pc its not a Bluetooth one like pictured above. I has the 16 (?) pin obd plug one end and usb connector the other. When I was using it on the alfa I did not have a laptop so used to park the car outside my home office window and run a ten metre usb lead out to the car to do the diagnostics! Not ideal but it worked. Would have needed a REAL long extension to gather live data whilst I drove though!!! The model was a 156 2.5 V6 Veloce in Rosso Red with full tan Momo interior.....best sounding car I ever owned.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using JeepForum
Unread 03-28-2013, 08:26 AM   #13
nappypappy
2000 WJ 

nice stuff but i am not sure if i understand all that so i have a question........i have a laptop and is there a program that will read the codes?
also if i undersand right all i would need is a cable to hook up to my jeep and it would read..right or wrong?
thanks in advance.
nappypappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 04:44 AM   #14
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Correct...and give you live data when the engine is running and if you are lucky, clear fault codes too. That was why I started this thread to find the best free or not too expensive software thats works best for our models.
Unread 03-29-2013, 06:17 AM   #15
car5car
2000 WJ 

Advance auto has a scanner for customers, which shows live data. I used it a few times. It has ABS and engine codes, but not air bag.
Just ask them, they'll let you use it.
It also shows graphs (diagram??)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.