Finally Recall accepted! - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Finally Recall accepted!

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 06-19-2013, 03:30 AM   #46
MWF
2002 WJ 

The problem here is perception. It's all very well saying you've seen stats on the internet which says nothing needs to be done, (and worked it out in your head) but that's not going to change public image.

This made international news with the BBC yesterday, it's going to hammer the second hand value of GC's.

Unread 06-19-2013, 04:20 AM   #47
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Like they had any to start with. The real pain in the *** will be when you get your next renewal notice and they say "oops you are driving one of THOSE" and we need 40 or 50 $ more a year, or a month or whatever.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 05:03 AM   #48
MWF
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
Like they had any to start with. The real pain in the *** will be when you get your next renewal notice and they say "oops you are driving one of THOSE" and we need 40 or 50 $ more a year, or a month or whatever.
The diesels in the UK still hold their value reasonably well. V8's are indeed rock bottom here. Although I guess diesels don't suffer the same issue?

Very good point on insurance.
Unread 06-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #49
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
I bet the insurance will do the math just like we did and see that it is not very probable to happen. I doubt because of the recall your insurance is going to go up.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2252
2001 Laredo, 2004 Special Edition
pinky2252s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #50
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky2252s View Post
I bet the insurance will do the math just like we did and see that it is not very probable to happen. I doubt because of the recall your insurance is going to go up.
If anything it will go down because it doesn't cost much to insure a POS
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #51
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlandZJ View Post
Say's in the article all Jeeps affected will receive trailer hitch's if unequipped.

DETROIT Chrysler avoided a showdown with government safety regulators Tuesday, agreeing to recall 2.7 million older Jeep Grand Cherokee and Liberty SUVs that could be at risk of a fuel tank fire.

Earlier this month the company defiantly refused the government's request to recall the Jeeps. But Chrysler now says it will go ahead with the recall after getting calls from concerned customers.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration contended that the Jeep's gas tank could rupture if hit from the rear, causing a fire. NHTSA said 51 people had died in fiery crashes in Jeeps with gas tanks positioned behind the rear axle.

The recall covers Jeep Grand Cherokees from model years 1993 through 2004 and Jeep Libertys from 2002 through 2007.

Chrysler said Tuesday that dealers will inspect the vehicles and install trailer hitches to protect the gas tanks. The company said vehicles without hitches will get them, as will those with broken hitches or hitches that aren't from Chrysler.

In a statement, Chrysler maintained that the vehicles aren't defective, despite prior statements to the contrary from NHTSA.

Chrysler wouldn't say how much the trailer hitches would cost.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...#ixzz2WbDED2aG

Apparently FOX was inaccurate on their report when they claimed the WJ's were included. According to Chrysler's Blog the WJ's need not be alarmed unless an aftermarket hitch had been installed. WJ's without a hitch need not be concerned?

I find this confusing. The pictured Jeep from the accident that killed a child (published by a lawfirm) clearly shows a WJ. This seems logical to me considering the WJ's have a lower? fuel tank from the redesign of spare tire well.

Here's Chryslers Blog..

http://blog.chryslerllc.com/entry/21...n1913Facebook2
OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #52
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Apparently FOX was inaccurate on their report when they claimed the WJ's were included. According to Chrysler's Blog the WJ's need not be alarmed unless an aftermarket hitch had been installed. WJ's without a hitch need not be concerned?

I find this confusing. The pictured Jeep from the accident that killed a child (published by a lawfirm) clearly shows a WJ. This seems logical to me considering the WJ's have a lower? fuel tank from the redesign of spare tire well.

Here's Chryslers Blog..

http://blog.chryslerllc.com/entry/21...n1913Facebook2
It says owners of the 99-04 WJ's don't need to bring it in if they have no hitch or if the hitch is a factory installed Mopar hitch. I think what they are saying is that aftermarket hitches may have sharp edges that can rupture the tank.
Unread 06-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #53
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
It says owners of the 99-04 WJ's don't need to bring it in if they have no hitch or if the hitch is a factory installed Mopar hitch. I think what they are saying is that aftermarket hitches may have sharp edges that can rupture the tank.

So any ZJ without a hitch gets one for protection, but an identical situation on a WJ gets nothing? That's the point that I find confusing..

I'm under the impression the WJ's were the primary source behind this safety recall..
Unread 06-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #54
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
So any ZJ without a hitch gets one for protection, but an identical situation on a WJ gets nothing? That's the point that I find confusing..

I'm under the impression the WJ's were the primary source behind this safety recall..
Maybe just another way the Feds are trying to devalue SUV's. Go after the number one seller. Probably didn't pick Ford because they are in bed with them for a clean energy car.
Unread 06-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #55
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:

There was a plate installed on WJs after 2002 I think that was designed to mitigate the risk. Someone posted a pic over in the WJ section
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 01:42 PM   #56
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
There was a plate installed on WJs after 2002 I think that was designed to mitigate the risk. Someone posted a pic over in the WJ section

I hadn't seen that thread or mention of the plate, thanks for that.

The wife's WJ is a pre-02 Laredo, I know it's had the PCM upgrade and Akebono's done by dealer... i'll have to look at it and see if they also added this plate.

IIRC it has a fuel skid that's rotting on one corner, guess i'll look for a replacement and hitch at the yards. I do want the Mrs to be protected as much as possible now that I know of this issue... regardless if the mass' say it's necessary or not. Better safe than sorry when it comes to my family.

My ZJ already has a skid and hitch added.. i'm not concerned about my rig.
Unread 06-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #57
EltoritoHO
2002 WJ 

So what about all the tow bars from 3th parties?

Some have a big name in the tow bar business.

Their products are of equal or better design than the original Mopar part because of European legislation.

Like Thule (made in Sweden), Westfalia (made in Germany) or Witter (made in the UK).

Are they worthless now?

I am in the market for a tow bar for my WJ now.

What if I have a Witter tow bar fitted?

What if I ignore the recall and have an accident and my car catches fire?

The insurance could refuse to cover my loss, saying I am partly to blame perhaps?

The recall creates more problems than it solves.
EltoritoHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #58
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Do the tank tuck mod and don't worry about it.

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #59
jcool1985

Does anyone know if it will just be the hitch or will the dealer install the wiring harness also so we can actually use it for towing? Otherwise they will have to include a disclaimer it is illegal to use the hitch with no trailer lights etc so maybe they will just include the wiring.
jcool1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 09:57 PM   #60
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcool1985 View Post
Does anyone know if it will just be the hitch or will the dealer install the wiring harness also so we can actually use it for towing? Otherwise they will have to include a disclaimer it is illegal to use the hitch with no trailer lights etc so maybe they will just include the wiring.
I'm sure they will install the wiring if you pay for it,it's not listed so don't get your hopes up.Don't expect a classIII or higher hitch either as that would mean the HD cooling would need to be installed and that ain't going to happen either so your most likely looking at a classII hitch which is limited to like 2500lbs max.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.