Finally Recall accepted! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Finally Recall accepted!

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 06-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
lawsonej
1998 ZJ 

Finally Recall accepted!

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...-at-risk-fire/

Might be old news but still

lawsonej is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
JeepForever

The last time Chrysler serviced my vehicle for a recall (secondary parking shifter detention), I wanted to take it back and have them undo it. Safety features generally make the vehicle more complex and difficult to use. I got used to it over time and it will probably prevent a 4 year old from driving my Jeep.
I wonder what the recall will do on the back of the Jeep. I might be ok with a skid plate over the fuel tank but I'll be sad if they mess up my new trailer hitch. Any idea what the fix will be???
JeepForever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Good news for the idiots who want free things for no reason.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
jzoomer
1998 ZJ 

I heard the fix was a skid plate added ti the ones that did not come on it as a factory option
jzoomer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #5
lawsonej
1998 ZJ 

I'm sure the fix will be less than pleasing, but i'll gladly be the idiot who takes a free skid plate if thats the case.
Unread 06-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #6
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzoomer View Post
I heard the fix was a skid plate added ti the ones that did not come on it as a factory option
No fix has even been decided. They are recalling to inspect.

You guys do understand this cost will simply be passed back to the consumer right? All that will happen is the price of either parts or service or a new vehicle will go up. All over a non-issue.

Quote:
Its statement said it will recall the vehicles for inspection and, in "some cases," will "provide an upgrade to the rear structure of the vehicle to better manage crash forces in low-speed impacts."
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 01:43 PM   #7
lawsonej
1998 ZJ 

Im just the messenger for all the good folks here at the forum! Agreed though that money has to come from somewhere and we know things tend to roll downhill and i'd love to see the stipulations for "some cases".
Unread 06-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #8
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Say's in the article all Jeeps affected will receive trailer hitch's if unequipped.

DETROIT – Chrysler avoided a showdown with government safety regulators Tuesday, agreeing to recall 2.7 million older Jeep Grand Cherokee and Liberty SUVs that could be at risk of a fuel tank fire.

Earlier this month the company defiantly refused the government's request to recall the Jeeps. But Chrysler now says it will go ahead with the recall after getting calls from concerned customers.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration contended that the Jeep's gas tank could rupture if hit from the rear, causing a fire. NHTSA said 51 people had died in fiery crashes in Jeeps with gas tanks positioned behind the rear axle.

The recall covers Jeep Grand Cherokees from model years 1993 through 2004 and Jeep Libertys from 2002 through 2007.

Chrysler said Tuesday that dealers will inspect the vehicles and install trailer hitches to protect the gas tanks. The company said vehicles without hitches will get them, as will those with broken hitches or hitches that aren't from Chrysler.

In a statement, Chrysler maintained that the vehicles aren't defective, despite prior statements to the contrary from NHTSA.

Chrysler wouldn't say how much the trailer hitches would cost.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...#ixzz2WbDED2aG
OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #9
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForever View Post
Safety features generally make the vehicle more complex and difficult to use.
Not necessarily, infact that's very rarely the case. Typically a safety recall corrects a problem in an area of a vehicle that the vast majority of vehicle owners do not even touch.

Keep in mind we Jeep Forumers, as a WHOLE, make up only a tiny fraction of the total automobile owners in the world, even in America. Manufacturers are not concerned with those of us who already know how to defeat the component, they are concerned with the other 95% of the idiots out on the road who could hurt themselves using a band aid.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #10
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

i wonder if people look at my jeep and the first thing they say is 'jeeze i hope that things gas tank doesn't catch on fire'!

probably more like, 'how is that rolling abortion street legal?'
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 02:04 PM   #11
Redsand
1998 ZJ 

I'll take a free trailer hitch, was planning to buy one anyway for recovery purposes. I've had recalls on multiple vehicles in the past and never paid a dime, hope this works the same....
Redsand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 02:05 PM   #12
Adam86
1998 ZJ 

Will this be a world wide recall?

Is it law in the states that you HAVE to take your vehicle in?

In the UK its your choice you'll just get a letting in the post informing you of the recall.
Adam86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #13
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam86 View Post
Will this be a world wide recall?

Is it law in the states that you HAVE to take your vehicle in?

In the UK its your choice you'll just get a letting in the post informing you of the recall.
No you don't have to do anything if you choose not to. They are required to provide the maintenance that was agreed upon federally though. I would assume that where ever there is a Jeep dealership that they would comply but then again this is a U.S. safety standard not international.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 02:18 PM   #14
qbny94
2002 WJ 

Do we still get the trailer hitch if we have the factory skid plate??
qbny94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #15
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

It still baffles me this is suddenly an issue and only with Grand Cherokees and Liberty's....arent all Jeeps gas tanks located behind the axle?????????
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.