JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Grand Cherokee General Discussion (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/)
-   -   Finally Recall accepted! (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/finally-recall-accepted-1538190/)

lawsonej 06-18-2013 01:16 PM

Finally Recall accepted!

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...-at-risk-fire/

Might be old news but still

JeepForever 06-18-2013 01:30 PM

The last time Chrysler serviced my vehicle for a recall (secondary parking shifter detention), I wanted to take it back and have them undo it. Safety features generally make the vehicle more complex and difficult to use. I got used to it over time and it will probably prevent a 4 year old from driving my Jeep.
I wonder what the recall will do on the back of the Jeep. I might be ok with a skid plate over the fuel tank but I'll be sad if they mess up my new trailer hitch. Any idea what the fix will be???

WhiteOut 06-18-2013 01:34 PM

Good news for the idiots who want free things for no reason.

jzoomer 06-18-2013 01:34 PM

I heard the fix was a skid plate added ti the ones that did not come on it as a factory option

lawsonej 06-18-2013 01:38 PM

I'm sure the fix will be less than pleasing, but i'll gladly be the idiot who takes a free skid plate if thats the case. :)

WhiteOut 06-18-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jzoomer (Post 15577513)
I heard the fix was a skid plate added ti the ones that did not come on it as a factory option

No fix has even been decided. They are recalling to inspect.

You guys do understand this cost will simply be passed back to the consumer right? All that will happen is the price of either parts or service or a new vehicle will go up. All over a non-issue.

Quote:

Its statement said it will recall the vehicles for inspection and, in "some cases," will "provide an upgrade to the rear structure of the vehicle to better manage crash forces in low-speed impacts."

lawsonej 06-18-2013 01:43 PM

Im just the messenger for all the good folks here at the forum! Agreed though that money has to come from somewhere and we know things tend to roll downhill and i'd love to see the stipulations for "some cases".

OverlandZJ 06-18-2013 01:44 PM

Say's in the article all Jeeps affected will receive trailer hitch's if unequipped.

DETROIT Chrysler avoided a showdown with government safety regulators Tuesday, agreeing to recall 2.7 million older Jeep Grand Cherokee and Liberty SUVs that could be at risk of a fuel tank fire.

Earlier this month the company defiantly refused the government's request to recall the Jeeps. But Chrysler now says it will go ahead with the recall after getting calls from concerned customers.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration contended that the Jeep's gas tank could rupture if hit from the rear, causing a fire. NHTSA said 51 people had died in fiery crashes in Jeeps with gas tanks positioned behind the rear axle.

The recall covers Jeep Grand Cherokees from model years 1993 through 2004 and Jeep Libertys from 2002 through 2007.

Chrysler said Tuesday that dealers will inspect the vehicles and install trailer hitches to protect the gas tanks. The company said vehicles without hitches will get them, as will those with broken hitches or hitches that aren't from Chrysler.

In a statement, Chrysler maintained that the vehicles aren't defective, despite prior statements to the contrary from NHTSA.

Chrysler wouldn't say how much the trailer hitches would cost.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...#ixzz2WbDED2aG

Xpress 06-18-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepForever (Post 15577494)
Safety features generally make the vehicle more complex and difficult to use.

Not necessarily, infact that's very rarely the case. Typically a safety recall corrects a problem in an area of a vehicle that the vast majority of vehicle owners do not even touch.

Keep in mind we Jeep Forumers, as a WHOLE, make up only a tiny fraction of the total automobile owners in the world, even in America. Manufacturers are not concerned with those of us who already know how to defeat the component, they are concerned with the other 95% of the idiots out on the road who could hurt themselves using a band aid.

JohnnyZJ 06-18-2013 02:01 PM

i wonder if people look at my jeep and the first thing they say is 'jeeze i hope that things gas tank doesn't catch on fire'!

probably more like, 'how is that rolling abortion street legal?'

Redsand 06-18-2013 02:04 PM

I'll take a free trailer hitch, was planning to buy one anyway for recovery purposes. I've had recalls on multiple vehicles in the past and never paid a dime, hope this works the same....

Adam86 06-18-2013 02:05 PM

Will this be a world wide recall?

Is it law in the states that you HAVE to take your vehicle in?

In the UK its your choice you'll just get a letting in the post informing you of the recall.

PolkaPower 06-18-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam86 (Post 15577669)
Will this be a world wide recall?

Is it law in the states that you HAVE to take your vehicle in?

In the UK its your choice you'll just get a letting in the post informing you of the recall.

No you don't have to do anything if you choose not to. They are required to provide the maintenance that was agreed upon federally though. I would assume that where ever there is a Jeep dealership that they would comply but then again this is a U.S. safety standard not international.

qbny94 06-18-2013 02:18 PM

Do we still get the trailer hitch if we have the factory skid plate??

rebelbowtie 06-18-2013 02:27 PM

It still baffles me this is suddenly an issue and only with Grand Cherokees and Liberty's....arent all Jeeps gas tanks located behind the axle?????????

The time now is 09:32 PM.