Finally got to wheel the newest 5.9 and fixed some stuff! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Finally got to wheel the newest 5.9 and fixed some stuff!

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 10-30-2010, 10:52 PM   #1
white5nine
1998 ZJ 

Finally got to wheel the newest 5.9 and fixed some stuff!

Well I bought the beast back in april, and as ashamed as I am to admit it, it was only 2 wheel drive thanks to a missing front driveline. It came with a different driveline and new yoke for the front axle in the tailgate when i bought it, but I never got around to dealing with it since I was having other car/ financial issues after buying this 5.9 without selling my last 5.9. Fast forward to 2 weeks ago when I finally got some motivation and much needed cash and got my loving girlfriend to help me shorten the driveline that came with the jeep when I bought it. installed the needed yoke and literally bolted the driveline in, and everything worked. I had expected the worst case being a broken axle shaft or exploded spider gears, but everything works as it should! Last weekend I got out wheeling for the first time in this beast, and man was it fun. Keep in mind I am very much inexperienced when it comes to wheeling, so we didn't do anything very challenging, but I will be going out as much as I can/ afford in the near future! So I am sure I have bored you all by now, but anyone still reading, thank you! This has been a new adventure for me, and I fully plan on getting my own abilities up to the capabilities of this jeep soon enough!

Right after I got it, 2 wheel drive, 6 screws and the tip of a key in the front tire.

Got new tires, but still 2 wheel drive (tire marks not from me, I swear!)

Finally flexing it out! And simultaneously removing my rear mudflaps! Yeah for illegal mod! FML!

It is faaarrrr from perfect, but for less than $6K invested total, I am super happy! The only thing that held me back was the lack of lockers....

Now for the fixing.....I have been having intermittent starting issues with the jeep, and first thing I did was throw a yellow top in it.....problem gone....a couple months later it came back......clean the terminals and tighten the ***** out of them and good. last week it came back again.....even as tight as it could go, the pos. terminal could still be pulled off the battery post. off to the stereo shop to get some new terminals. Made for a nice clean install with my amp wire and I now have the ability to add more grounds when I add more accessories in the future.

And also "fixed" my broken and leaking sunroof.....black duct tape for the win! (It's only to get me through the winter....then I will fix it or weld in a panel and close it off for good)

white5nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2010, 11:41 PM   #2
Greengc4x4
1998 ZJ 

How much lift is that? Nice flex dude
Greengc4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2010, 12:03 AM   #3
white5nine
1998 ZJ 

Its a Clayton's long arm kit with 7" springs and 2" pucks on top of that for 9" total. Its flexes pretty well...I forgot to disconnect the front sway bar in that pic too.
Unread 10-31-2010, 12:08 AM   #4
Jones
Consider the following...

Is the 2" BB just for looks then? You'd be much better off with just the 7" springs.
Unread 10-31-2010, 01:19 AM   #5
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

It looks like a big much for the tires you're running. But it's a nice 5.9.

Yipes, Brian. That's one freaky avatar you've got.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2010, 01:41 AM   #6
CLNinja
1993 ZJ 

7" is plenty... the extra 2" pucks are not needed at all... and at 9" its a good thing you had your sway bar connected or you probably would have tipped over at the first off camber spot you came to
[color="#003300"]Matt[/COLOR]
[color="white"][CENTER][size="1"]
[url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434081"][color="white"]Click Here For My Build Thread[/COLOR][/url]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][B]**September 2009 Grand Cherokee Of The Month**[/B]
[SIZE="2"][url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123"][color="white"]Colorado Jeep Club Member #88[/COLOR][/url][/SIZE][/CENTER]
CLNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2010, 04:16 AM   #7
chicagoniner
1998 ZJ 

Sexy as hell, little tall but I like it...

[SIZE="3"][CENTER][B]Looking for Custom Drums? Check out [URL="www.splitnaildrums.com"]SPLIT NAIL DRUMS[/URL][/B][/CENTER][/SIZE]
chicagoniner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2010, 10:24 AM   #8
white5nine
1998 ZJ 

I don't know if the 2"bb is for looks or if it rubs without it....I bought the jeep that way, and I simply haven't gotten around to taking them out to see what happens...either way though, at least I am getting out and using it! I personally love the way it looks....it literally is everything I would have done to my old 5.9 if I had the money. Thanks to those that like it!
Unread 10-31-2010, 10:26 AM   #9
Mudzilla6661
Web Wheeler

2010 JK Wrangler 

I like it I always love a 5.9 I wish I could find one. I agree it is a little too tall, I would take the pucks out and trim if you have to. anyway can't wait to see more of this jeep it is a good looking one. what are your plans for it?

2010 jk islander aka Mudzilla 2.5 AEV lift 35" kevlars, PSC front and rear bumpers Q10000 winch. More to come!
Mudzilla6661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2010, 10:34 AM   #10
white5nine
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandChe89 View Post
I like it I always love a 5.9 I wish I could find one. I agree it is a little too tall, I would take the pucks out and trim if you have to. anyway can't wait to see more of this jeep it is a good looking one. what are your plans for it?
Mostly repairs for now. It needs a new top end reseal including headgaskets, and while I am in there I will be doing a water pump, thermostat, new belt, hoses, motor mounts, oil pan gasket and rear main seal. Then I need to tackle the front suspension...at least rebuild it, but a high steer kit would be the way to go. Once I can do more upgrading, lockers are needed, and I plan to replace the shocks and springs with longer travel shocks and springs that will keep me where I am at but allow removal of the pucks. i know its overkill, but my goal is to see 37" boggers on this thing someday....a bet one of my buddies and I have.
Unread 10-31-2010, 11:15 PM   #11
CLNinja
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by white5nine View Post
Mostly repairs for now. It needs a new top end reseal including headgaskets, and while I am in there I will be doing a water pump, thermostat, new belt, hoses, motor mounts, oil pan gasket and rear main seal. Then I need to tackle the front suspension...at least rebuild it, but a high steer kit would be the way to go. Once I can do more upgrading, lockers are needed, and I plan to replace the shocks and springs with longer travel shocks and springs that will keep me where I am at but allow removal of the pucks. i know its overkill, but my goal is to see 37" boggers on this thing someday....a bet one of my buddies and I have.
as long as your doing the water pump and all of that stuff on the front end you might as well do the timing as well... the cover shares a bolt with the water pump
[color="#003300"]Matt[/COLOR]
[color="white"][CENTER][size="1"]
[url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434081"][color="white"]Click Here For My Build Thread[/COLOR][/url]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][B]**September 2009 Grand Cherokee Of The Month**[/B]
[SIZE="2"][url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123"][color="white"]Colorado Jeep Club Member #88[/COLOR][/url][/SIZE][/CENTER]
CLNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.