Finally bought another Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Finally bought another Jeep

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 02-13-2012, 02:50 AM   #1
Dom2007
1998 ZJ 

Finally bought another Jeep

After a couple months of searching for another Jeep, I finally found it, and today I bought it. I got it from a forum member, Escout03. The for sale thread is here. The pics there are how it looks currently. He made a build thread, but I think it would pretty d*uche-ish to link his build thread for what is now my Jeep...but its up there if you want to take a look. So far, he gets all the credit.

Anyways, couldnt be happier with the Jeep so far. I was a little wary with the higher mileage on the 5.2, as I just dont have any personal experience with them, but it seems to be well kept and in excellent condition. Beyond a test drive, the first real drive I took it for was a 6 hour drive back home to Ga, from NC where he is located, and I had not one issue. Well, other than 3.73 gears, 33's, and highway driving leaves a little to be desired, but such is life.

One thing I would like to mention is that I have nothing but good to say about the seller. Seemed to be very knowledgeable about his Jeep, which is a nice change these days. The jeep was exactly as he described, no bs description and it turns out to be a rusting pile of crap, especially with 12 hours of driving to pick it up. Thanks man, youre good in my book!(Of course, Ive only had it for a day, maybe this was all an elaborate plan to scam me...lol. Well played sir, well played! But you're totally NOT getting your license plate back if the Jeep blows up before I mail the plate off, lol)

Anyways, basic info...
1998 ZJ Limited
5.2L V8 w/ 197K
Auto trans(rebuilt around 145K)
249 TC(which will soon be swapped with a 231/242)
I have a U-Joint front driveshaft waiting to be installed...probably this week...so currently RWD only.

Since the link is up there, no point in repeating everything again...lift, tires, bumper, all the cool stuff, its all in that thread.

I will get some pictures up here soon, tomorrow maybe. I was busy driving back home tonight.

Plans, plans, plans...
Near Future(within the next couple weeks)
-Full tune up...plugs, wires, etc,etc, along with all fluids changed
-T/C swap for 231/242...whichever I find a good deal on first.
-A 15" spare wheel...got a spare tire, just nothing to put it on, lol.

Not quite as near future(within a couple months)
-Skids/sliders...sooner than later, but not right this minute.
-Re-gearing....maybe
-POR15/Rustbullet the undercarriage...very little rust on it, I plan on keeping it that way.

Later on down the road plans(Hopefully within a year or so)
-Rear bumper w/ tire carrier. No brand yet
-Bushwackers...I know, they are kinda hit or miss with people, but I dig em.
-EITHER build the stock axles, re-gear, lockers, etc...OR f/r axle swap for Dana44/8.8. Also gonna depend if I decide to stick with current tire size or go bigger.
-I may get a crazy hair and lift higher...probably gonna stick with current lift(at least height wise) for the foreseeable future, pretty happy where its at, gonna wheel it like this for a while, then we shall see.

I'm probably forgetting a bunch that I meant to write, but thats the product of typing at 3am, and the 6 energy drinks I had, to keep me awake on the drive down, lol...whatever.

Anyways, thanks again man, for a well kept Jeep, a decent price, and(FINALLY!!) a good experience buying a used car.

Link to original build thread

Dom2007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
Dom2007
1998 ZJ 

So, a little, relatively un-exciting update:

I bought basic tune up items today, plugs, wires. cap and rotor, pcv valve. Will also be changing oil and filter tomorrow, and flushing the radiator/coolant, and transmission. I will be getting to checking/changing diff fluid the following day. I'm going to hold off on t-case, since I plan on swapping in a 242 shortly. I will be installing a u-joint front driveshaft with in a couple days as well(as soon as I get the pinion yoke from Carolina Driveshafts)...we'll see if the VC on the 249 if shot or not.

Anything I'm forgetting, basic maintenance-wise?

Also, within the next couple days...gonna get the CB hooked back up...gotta see if its as simple as re-installing the antenna, or if there are other issues. Really didnt even check when I bought it, as it was just something extra with the deal. A couple other small things as well...just cant remember them at the moment. Oh yeah...a couple pics to follow shortly...
Unread 02-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
Benja
1997 ZJ 

Nice, now pictures please
Unread 02-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #4
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

he finally sold it huh...

sad to see it leave his ownership, If you would keep up his build thread that would be great.
Plenty of lights
1stblack97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2012, 06:15 PM   #5
Dom2007
1998 ZJ 

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Ok, heres all I have at the moment. I will take more pics as I go...more of a way for me to keep track of everything I do, as the "build up" is gonna be slow going. Anyways, what do you guys think?
Unread 02-14-2012, 06:17 PM   #6
Dom2007
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stblack97ZJ View Post
he finally sold it huh...

sad to see it leave his ownership, If you would keep up his build thread that would be great.
I would...I just figured it would be kinda a d-bag move on my part to keep up HIS thread...kinda like I was taking credit for it. But I will update it as I get to various mods/fixes.

Oh yeah, that last pic reminds me...I'm also going to attempt to relocate/flip up outta harms way the charcoal canister that is visible underneath the drivers side of the front bumper. Hopefully I can do that with out dropping the front bumper.
Unread 02-14-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
Dom2007
1998 ZJ 

I was also thinking of upgrading the headlights...the po replaced the headlights, but with newer stock units, which leave something to be desired at night. How are the Silverstars, etc? Or should I skip it, and upgrade to HID's? Also, if anyone knows of any, is it worth upgrading the headlight harness, will it make any difference?
Unread 02-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #8
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom2007 View Post
I would...I just figured it would be kinda a d-bag move on my part to keep up HIS thread...kinda like I was taking credit for it. But I will update it as I get to various mods/fixes.

Oh yeah, that last pic reminds me...I'm also going to attempt to relocate/flip up outta harms way the charcoal canister that is visible underneath the drivers side of the front bumper. Hopefully I can do that with out dropping the front bumper.
Yeah I guess it could be taken that way... then you should make a new thread, but put a link in the first post of escouts thread so that people can see how it got to where it was before you got it.

BTW, if you upgrade to hids, make sure you get projector housings for them.
Plenty of lights
1stblack97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2012, 06:50 PM   #9
Dom2007
1998 ZJ 

Original post updated with link to his build thread.

Like I said, it just seemed like it would come off as trying to take credit for someone elses hard work, but you asked, so there ya go. Its a pretty good read though.

As for the projectors...I dunno...never really been big on the projector/halo look. Possibly for the ability to black out the headlight housings, but we'll see. I had an Xterra a while back...bought new, so the headlights were pretty decent, but when I upgraded to 5000K hids...man oh man, it turned night into day, so I may go that route. Huge fan of HIDs, as long as they arent the rediculous blue/ purple/ pink/ other ghey colors, lol.
Unread 02-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #10
Dom2007
1998 ZJ 

I changed the oil/filter today, and had the coolant and trans flushed. Gonna have to hold off on tune up till tomorrow.
Tomorrows To Do list:
Cap/rotor/plugs/wires/air filter/PCV valve
Attempt to relocate the charcoal canister up and behind the bumper, hopefully with out having to drop the bumper
Mount a couple Mag Lights, one in center console and one in rear cargo area
Whatever other cheap/free mods I can think of once I get off work

On a completely unrelated topic...does anyone here watch "Doomsday Preppers"? That show is awesome, lol.
Unread 02-16-2012, 12:10 AM   #11
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

Doomsday Preppers makes me feel unprepared. I might be organizing a bug-out bag if I watch more of that show!
bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2012, 06:02 PM   #12
Dom2007
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaslug View Post
Doomsday Preppers makes me feel unprepared. I might be organizing a bug-out bag if I watch more of that show!
Yeah dude, I love that show. But it has a bad side...I think if I watch too many more episodes, it might make posting on here hard, since I dont think I could get internet service if I go make a shipping container mansion out in the woods somewhere, lol.

Ok, so small update...
Got the basic tune up completed. Plugs, wires, cap rotor, and PCV valve. I suppose there are more parts that could have been included, but it really didnt need them. Tomorrow, I'm gonna try to find two things in the local JY: a pinion yoke for front driveshaft, and a 242 t/c. Relocating the evap canister looks like it might be more work than I had hoped for. Oh, and gotta pick up a new u-joint for the front ds(axle end). Also need to pick up a new CB antenna mount, the old one is cracking pretty bad. Kinda unrelated, but I saved a TON of money by switching to USAA...lol, neither here nor there, but it makes me happy.
Unread 02-17-2012, 02:58 PM   #13
Dom2007
1998 ZJ 

Good note: I found out what I was rubbing on up front. Bad note: I now have a decent sized hole in the side/bottom of the evap canister, since the drivers front tire was rubbing it on turns. Is it gonna hurt anything with said hole in it, for the time being at least? And assuming it is completely shot, not serving its purpose, and everything else seems to be just fine...why dont I just take the damn thing off...which would be way easier than relocating?!?
Unread 02-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #14
Dom2007
1998 ZJ 

Well, picked up a couple small items today:
A new air filter...nothing sexy, just a replacement for the dirty stock filter.
Some Sylvania Silverstar Ultra headlights...we'll see how they look, still want to eventually go to HID's, but I was at Autozone so I bought em(thats why I dont go to auto parts stores very often)
Replacement bulb for drivers reverse light, went out at some point.

Ok, thats the updates for today. Told you I have boring a$$ updates...I really only post for my own enjoyment, so I wont be offended if this thread turns out to be 30 pages of me talking to myself. Sorry, but you probably wont see "Check out my new long arms, 1-ton OTK steering, full exo cage, and flamethrower mod I put on this weekend" for quite some time, lol.

But seriously...anyone wanna chime in on the evap canister thing??
Unread 02-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #15
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

I just relocated mine. I have a cone filter replacing the stock air box. Just undo the bolts, disconnect the hoses and reconnect them inside the bay.
bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.