Extra Key - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Extra Key

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-19-2010, 06:53 AM   #1
cbrookerd
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Extra Key

I would like to get another key made for my 2005 WK, but the dealership wants like $140 for it....any tricks out there to get a new key without going to the dealership??

cbrookerd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2010, 06:59 AM   #2
ItalianJeeper77
2008 WK 

https://www.ikeyless.com/vehicles/Je...-Cherokee/2005

That's actually not a bad deal from the stealership, they have really come down in price. If you get it from this site, you still have to get it cut and programmed to your Jeep.

"The proper water entry and travel speed is 5mph"

BLACK JEEP SOCIETY MEMBER
ItalianJeeper77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

You should be able to buy one on line or at some auto parts chain stores, get it cut locally, and program it yourself....as long as you have two other programmed keys for it. I don't remember what I paid from the dealer for key and cut, but I know it wasn't anywhere near what you've been quoted.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2010, 10:55 AM   #4
theSovereign
2007 WK 

Look on eBay for the remote key blanks, looks like they're ~$70 with the electronics for the remote. Like 90grandoneer said, you'll need two already programmed keys in order to program the new one.
theSovereign is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2010, 03:38 PM   #5
JMorash
2005 WK 

Some of those ones you buy on ebay need exact matching serial numbers, or else they wont program. I made the mistake.

Dealership qouted me like 250 bucks for a cut and program key. YEA RIGHT
HEMI Club Member #28

3.5 Rock crawler lift.265/65R17 Toyo AT SuperChips Flashpaq MDS delete
JMorash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2010, 07:40 PM   #6
cbrookerd
2000 TJ Wrangler 

just to throw this out there....i only have one key at the moment...that's why I need another one...so the programming one option using two working keys is not possible
cbrookerd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2010, 07:50 PM   #7
twmart
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrookerd View Post
just to throw this out there....i only have one key at the moment...that's why I need another one...so the programming one option using two working keys is not possible
I have heard that some locksmiths can do this, otherwise you need to go to the dealer...

I was also told that if you have AAA you can call and say you lost your key and their service will cut and program you a new key.
2001 Cherokee
twmart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2010, 08:40 PM   #8
misscla
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I had the same problem, I bought mine with only 1 key and remote. Obviously, yours is different than mine, but I was able to find some new uncut keys on ebay and Im going to have one programmed at the dealer for around $40 (they said 140 also for a new key and programming, I was trying to avoid that). I am going to program the 3rd one myself.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.