Hey Eric can you post up some pics from the bottom on the pinch seem as well as the back tie in i will be doing this soon and am a tad curious also can you take pics of the uniframe tie ins?
Will do ASAP. I'm travelling the next few days and then wheeling it as-is this weekend. I can tell you right now that the pinch seam itself is gone; one of the cuts to get the old rocker skins off was just above the pinch seam. All that is left is the metal just above the factory pinch seam.
Ok Goofy, are these the pictures you were looking for:
I still have not installed tubing from the sliders to the frame and at this point probably will not. The way they are tied into the body through the pillars is plenty strong enough. The remaining tasks are to stitch the rocker sheet metal to the sliders and then finish with seam sealer & Herculiner. The following picture shows the trimmed and cleaned sheet metal ready to fold onto the slider:
I also started building a belly skid plate. Here are the parts:
Fitting the parts together and tacking:
I welded a couple flanges to the Clayton frame stiffeners for mounting the skid plate. That cat sure will be happy to have some protection:
Now I just need to be patient and keep it from warping when completing the welds.
Here's some additional footage from last weekends trail ride. The group was small but we had a great time with minimal carnage: Blown brake line that was pinched off with vise-grips, bent Currie tie rod, tweaked driveshaft, smashed tail light, blown bead, a few small dents, and one slider ripped from the pinch seams.
If you are in the Southeastern New England area and want to do some wheeling then come check us out.
Finally got around to fixing the brake line that blew out during Novembers trail ride. I've been putting it off because I knew it would be a nightmare accessing the fitting where the line enters the ABS pump. I had to remove the airbox and windshield washer reservoir in order to unbolt the ABS pump so that I could create enough clearance to get a wrench in there.
Here is what I found when I opened up the airbox:
This is on the BACK side of the air filter mind you. I have no idea how critters could have found their way in there.
Here is the brake line that blew out. The vice grips were the trail fix. Dead center in the second pic you can see the crack in the line. I used a piece of coat hanger as template to guide bending the new brake line:
Blue arrow points at the fitting I needed to access:
Everything ripped apart:
Done (for now):
This is actually a temporary fix. The plan is to rip out the ABS pump and plumb in an adjustable proportioning valve with all new brake lines.