Eric's '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Eric's '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 09-25-2011, 11:01 PM   #151
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

North central MA.

Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2011, 05:50 PM   #152
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Wheeled last weekend with New England Jeepz on a private property in RI:

Also got myself a vanity plate:

State soaked me over $160 for the plates and transfer. Robbery.
Unread 10-05-2011, 08:45 PM   #153
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

How well do you think a ZJ on 3.5"/31's, locked in the rear, would do on your clubs rides? I'm looking to join a club soon and want to be able to keep up until I build it bigger.
99XJ 4.0/AW4/HP30/8.25 build coming soon...
www.undergroundjeeps.net
CTeunuch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2011, 09:39 PM   #154
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

I don't see a problem. It really depends on who shows up for the run. Half the NEJZ guys are basically running buggies and the other half (like me) have normal rigs. Rocker skids and spare D30 shafts are highly recommended.

OSJ has more mildly built rigs but we are a little outside your territory.
Unread 10-07-2011, 04:44 PM   #155
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
I don't see a problem. It really depends on who shows up for the run. Half the NEJZ guys are basically running buggies and the other half (like me) have normal rigs. Rocker skids and spare D30 shafts are highly recommended.

OSJ has more mildly built rigs but we are a little outside your territory.
Cool, next time you guys have a public/open run would you either shoot me a PM or post in my build?
99XJ 4.0/AW4/HP30/8.25 build coming soon...
www.undergroundjeeps.net
CTeunuch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2011, 06:02 AM   #156
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

In general we do not have public runs. All you need to do is register for the forum and e-mail an application. After that you will get notified by e-mail about upcoming trail rides. Show up, meet the crew, and have fun.
Unread 11-23-2011, 02:51 PM   #157
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

I was driving home from a trail ride early early Sunday morning two weekends ago when the next thing I know my rear tire is rolling down the road in front of me!!

I quickly pulled onto the shoulder and went chasing after the wheel with a flashlight. Found it more than a 1/4 mile down the hill. The studs were still usable and I was able to get moving by borrowing a lug from each of the other wheels. Phew.

Last weekend I wheeled with Ocean State Jeepsters on a private property in Southern NH. This was probably the last major trail ride of the 2011 season since snow will be flying any day now. Not to mention that I busted the steering box off the frame towards the end of the day.

Unread 11-23-2011, 03:56 PM   #158
RedZJ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
I was driving home from a trail ride early early Sunday morning two weekends ago when the next thing I know my rear tire is rolling down the road in front of me!!

I quickly pulled onto the shoulder and went chasing after the wheel with a flashlight. Found it more than a 1/4 mile down the hill. The studs were still usable and I was able to get moving by borrowing a lug from each of the other wheels. Phew.

Lol. been there, Done that.

xD
RedZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2011, 09:55 PM   #159
xxxxxxxxranger_1999
1998 ZJ 

read every page..awsome build man..
Really only one question comes to mind..If u dont mind my asking...How much have u spent in Fixing borken suspension and driveline parts?
xxxxxxxxranger_1999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2011, 08:20 AM   #160
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

I've got about $13k tied up in the suspension and driveline build. Ever since I got the front alloys everything is holding up good. Over the last two seasons I've blown out a few shocks, bent a couple tie rods, and destroyed a few driveshafts. Then last weekend I snapped a steering box bolt.

Now that I have the limit straps installed the shocks are safe. This winter I will be looking into a high-steer set-up w/ hydro assist. There's not much that can be done to protect the driveshafts other than finding a good spotter.
Unread 11-25-2011, 07:09 PM   #161
xxxxxxxxranger_1999
1998 ZJ 

i beleive you have the most extensive build i have read,,Its intense in all the trial and error things u have done..Truely trail tested not rated..lol
You have a good looking rig...
Hopefully someday when i get a beater to drive, i can build mine up to somewhat of these standards
xxxxxxxxranger_1999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 04:55 PM   #162
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

I whipped up this video spanning the last 18 months or so.

That's pretty much it for me in 2011. Over the winter I plan to find a new platform and swap the running gear over. I'll be looking for a black 96-98 with 5.2, low mileage, and solid unibody.
Unread 11-28-2011, 05:57 PM   #163
zwzj4life
1995 ZJ 

One of my favorite builds! Especially because your ZJ looks like mine (minus the extensive upgrades) I just got my ZJ it's a 1995 though but this build shows me how capable my rig is and what it could look like. Thanks for keeping up with it!
Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #313
zwzj4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2011, 05:52 PM   #164
phbrown
1994 ZJ 

read the entire thread, no need to give me a beer just share a beer with a solider who has come home and say it cause some guy read all 11 pages of your build thread

great build by the way
Unread 12-23-2011, 09:45 AM   #165
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Took yesterday afternoon off and starting fixing my rig.

Here's the broken steering box. The top bolt broke originally. The casting then broke while limping off the trail:

Stock replacement box from PSC:

Here's the rear driveshaft. I'm having local driveline shop replace the tube:

All I need now is a replacement spare and I'm back in business.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.