This entire website is the devil! Illuzioun's Jeep Build. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > This entire website is the devil! Illuzioun's Jeep Build.

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 03-10-2014, 05:04 PM   #1
illuzioun
2003 WJ 

This entire website is the devil! Illuzioun's Jeep Build.

Days later, I realized I hadn't put this in the "WJ" forums. Could a mod be kind enough to move it there? (Sorry :P)

So last year before the snow fell, I was shopping for a 4x4 for the girlfriend. Something she can drive in the winter. Meanwhile, I planned to restore an old 94 chevy. I really had big plans. New paint job, motor, wheels and tires, lift, etc. That way I'd also have a 4x4 for next year.

SO... I'm shopping around and I found a really nice 2003 Grand Cherokee Overland for the ol' lady to drive. It needed some work, but i got a really good deal on it. 5600 bucks. 135K miles. Decent rig for the money right? I know.

After putting new front wheel bearings, u joints, brakes, rotors, spark plugs, camshaft positioning sensor, cutting out rust, and making new rockers for this thing.. I started to fall head over heals in love with this thing. I kept wondering what it would look like with a lift, new wheels and tires, and maybe a new paint job. So naturally I come on this website.. I see everybody's sweet *** WJ's all over the place and start getting I think what you guys call "the jeep thing"?

I dropped the chevy project.. Sold the truck. Started a jeep project. Oh, btw.. This is no longer for the girlfriend

TO BE INSTALLED:

Nitto Trail Grapplers 285/70/16

16" Raceline Wheels (0 offset - Spacers not required)

Rough Country 4" Long arm lift (waiting for delivery)

Roof Rack

Headlights + Taillights

Plasti-Dipping the whole jeep (not sure on color yet, probably matte white or black)

Front and rear bumpers

Here's a couple crappy pictures of the wheels and tires on the jeep so far WITHOUT the lift. I couldn't help myself I had to see what they looked like on it. I'll post more pictures later this week when I get the RC lift in.

Think the tires are a little bigger? haha. Can't figure out why this thing is leaning..

Unfortunately, i forgot to take pictures before I did the rust repair. The tire you see in this picture is the drivers side rear. You can see where I had to cut the pinch welds off. I had to cut a bit of the rust out of the unibody here as well. Took a while, but riveted in some 22 gauge steel. I went with rivets so I can repeat this repair down the road because rust is going to happen again in northern MN. Trying to keep the rust in one repairable spot so to speak. Unfortunately though, the rock sliders that were on the jeep rusted through the bracket. and it looks like the jeep had taken some damage where it bolts up at some point. I didn't see it when I bought it, but when the time comes to buy new sliders, I'll weld in a new bracket to mount them. Anyways, here's a quick fix of the rust issue near the rear rockers. Looks about the same on both sides. I only took pics of drivers side.

Before touch-up and primer and paint.

Finished work after undercoating

Passenger side lower spring holder was soo rusted out it's beyond use. I'm going to have to fix this somehow.. I have a couple ideas floating around, but nothing solid yet.

Drivers side is still "okay"

all new 3 1/4" pipe. I welded a cap on it to keep the water from getting in. Here's some pics of it after the fab work. This is the perch before it was welded onto the axle.

Looking at the bottom of the perch

Grounded down the rusty perch. Ready for welding.

quick mock up.

Welded and painted

Rubber spring catch installed

Another View

Another view

Lift pictures

Last edited by illuzioun; 03-24-2014 at 03:20 PM..
illuzioun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2014, 05:06 PM   #2
illuzioun
2003 WJ 

reserved.
Unread 03-10-2014, 05:18 PM   #3
DavisI
2002 WJ 

looks good, even without the lift haha
DavisI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2014, 05:28 PM   #4
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Thumbsup, i know, i know,,,
the bug goes around, it goes cronic after a while, Ask me how i know, lol
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2014, 05:34 PM   #5
fayceoff
Ninja pirate

1999 WJ 

Subscribed. I already like the way this is going.

"Be polite... Be professional... But have a plan to kill everyone you meet."

Engine compartment LED mod http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...te-up-2260105/
fayceoff is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2014, 05:53 PM   #6
Ratm
2004 WJ 

I'm in for the long haul... Subed
Unread 03-10-2014, 06:07 PM   #7
illuzioun
2003 WJ 

I'll definitely keep you guys up to date. RC lift was on backorder. Should be here this week sometime.
Unread 03-10-2014, 07:31 PM   #8
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Welcome to JF, ILLUZIOUN. I have the same Jeep, except silver. The HO is fun to drive.
It sounds like you got bit hard by the Jeep bug. I am still waiting for warmer weather to lift mine, but I am just going with the BB. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using electrons
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2014, 08:16 PM   #9
03lethal

Wheels/tire combo looks excellent, sub'd for the long haul
03lethal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2014, 08:42 PM   #10
aftex99

Going to be watching this one
aftex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 02:20 PM   #11
illuzioun
2003 WJ 

Updated OP with a few more pictures of some rust repair. Keep in mind this is my 4x4. Not my show car
Unread 03-11-2014, 08:52 PM   #12
Jameswj4
2004 WJ 

looks good so far cant wait to see what else is in store
Unread 03-13-2014, 01:13 PM   #13
mtnhigh
2004 WJ 

looks good! sub'd!
mtnhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 08:29 PM   #14
illuzioun
2003 WJ 

oh man.. I started to drop the front axle because my lift is going to be here tomorrow. After I dropped the shocks and took the spring out.. I noticed that I had a very big problem.. The lower (axle side) nipple that holds the shock in place was soo rusted out it's beyond use.. I'm going to have to get creative here to fix this. . . Time to bust out the welder I think. Maybe I can weld some pipe on it? Pics are in OP. F.M.L.
Unread 03-13-2014, 08:35 PM   #15
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuzioun View Post
oh man.. I started to drop the front axle because my lift is going to be here tomorrow. After I dropped the shocks and took the spring out.. I noticed that I had a very big problem.. The lower (axle side) nipple that holds the shock in place was soo rusted out it's beyond use.. I'm going to have to get creative here to fix this. . . Time to bust out the welder I think. Maybe I can weld some pipe on it? Pics are in OP. F.M.L.
Other people have had to fixed their's. I don't remember what they are called, but maybe someone can post a link of that happening.

Sent from my iPad using electrons
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.