Electrical problem and 1st post - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Electrical problem and 1st post

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 10-05-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
LonnyB

Electrical problem and 1st post

Hello my name is Lonny and this is my 1st post, so if I am in the wrong place pleas be nice and direct me to the proper place.

I have a 94 grand cherokee limited and have no working blinkers or hadzard flashers.
Heres what happened.

I was attempting to replace the old corroded trailer connection and all the wires where falling off, so in order to find which wire went to what I used my test lite.
I found the wire for the left signal and was working on the right signal when I shorted something out.
(brown wire in wire harness)

The 20am fuse for the hadzard flasher blew and I now have no signal lights or flashers.

I tried replaceing the 20am fuse and it blows as soon as I try to install it.

What did I do wrong?
Where do I start looking to resolve this problem?

Last edited by LonnyB; 10-06-2011 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: spelling errors I found
LonnyB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
LonnyB

Update!
10-6

I tore into the wire harness for the trailer hook up, this appears to be a factory option on this modle. I found no bare or shorted wires, than I unplugged the harness where it is located behind the inner body pannels on the rear right side. I also unplugged all 3 flasher unites from the harness.

I replaced the dual flasher found under the glove box by removeing the access door from the glove box.
Still blowing 20 amp fuse's

So I locate the multi function control for the hazards, signal, wipers, and dimmer switch and unplug it(not a fun job).
Try another 20amp fuse, this time it did not blow, hopefully when I get a replacement multi function control switch it will solve the problem.
Unread 10-11-2011, 09:37 PM   #3
LonnyB

Solved most of the electrical problem, now have signal lights working on all 4 corners, and hazard flashers on 3 corners.
Also disconnected the factory wire harness for the tow package.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.