Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

ejschultz Build Thread

32K views 203 replies 25 participants last post by  ejschultz 
#1 ·
Well, here's my build thread. For now, it's going to be mostly interior work until I get some cash to work on the suspension. I recently replaced the rear carpet; there will no pictures of that for now as it's just a newer looking stock carpet. I'm working on the stereo right now. There will be pictures coming for that. I did get the PAC-SWI JACK to keep my steering wheel controls. I'll get pictures of exactly which wire is used to make that work properly. Also, working with the Infinity Gold amp with an aftermarket HU can be rather difficult. There's nothing on here that easily shows how to get the HU to turn the amp on for a ZJ so I'll show some pics and let you know exactly how I accomplished that. I'm still working on it for now, well sort of anyways. I had to call it quits for the day because I have class right now... :D. This goes to show how much I pay attention. This probably isn't the type of build thread you all want to know about, but car audio is one of my biggest passions. I figured I'd share my endeavor with you.

#144 ·
The front end is so mean looking with the tires, grille, and lights.

What do you think of the duratracs so far? I think you made a great choice; looks great!

#145 ·
Thanks. They ride nicely, especially compared to my smaller sidewall tires on 16s, they make a little noise but I figured they would, and I've already had them through mud I wouldn't have attempted previously. I think I made a good choice too. :D

#151 ·
33s? Nah. I got a daughter on the way. I could barely afford the 31s I wanted. Let me rephrase that... I could barely talk the wife into 31s.

I'll try to be there around the same time too then. It's supposed to rain on Saturday so hopefully they don't cancel the show.

#156 ·
I figured; it's more something that you just do.

Thanks for the pic Nick.

No updates with your rig EJ? In your place I would have that thing bumperless, with all the grey painted black, which I think would look killer. That being said, I'm sure you're busy with fatherhood so... time consuming, non essential cosmetic mods on the ZJ are probably not a priority right now :laugh:

#157 ·
ZJMTL said:
I figured; it's more something that you just do.

Thanks for the pic Nick.

No updates with your rig EJ? In your place I would have that thing bumperless, with all the grey painted black, which I think would look killer. That being said, I'm sure you're busy with fatherhood so... time consuming, non essential cosmetic mods on the ZJ are probably not a priority right now :laugh:
No problem. And yes just get a can of nite shade and dupli color clear coat. And spray it till its rake enough to your liking. What I did was do 1 coat pretty light took my small flash light, stream light stylus. Great light to carry everyday by the way. And shine it from the light socket. I actually think I may have done 3 light to med coats. And it turned out great

#158 ·
Nope. No real updates as of late. I did get a skid for my front diff about 3 weeks ago, but that's it. I'm going to be doing some maintenance on it next weekend that'll consist of a rear main and an oil pan gasket. After that, motor mounts and trans mount are on the agenda. Then maybe I'll finally do my transfer case swap. But yes, you're 100% correct in the assumption that fatherhood is taking up a lot of my time. It's definitely a life changer, for the better.

#162 ·
I had a pretty busy day with the ZJ yesterday. I, with the help of a fellow NWIJ member, swapped my 249 for my 242 finally, cut my rear DS to fit properly, swapped my rear progressive coils for regular coils, changed my IRO upper rear arms for IRO upper rear adjustable arms, and changed my RC Nitro 9000s for some Doestch Tech DT3000s. I haven't had the chance to drive it yet because I stripped a bolt for the rear passenger side shock somehow. I'll match it up today and get it fastened to test it out. The 242 is good though. I did drive to lunch after that was installed before all the other work commenced.

#164 ·
I wouldn't know yet. I stripped a nut for the rear shock and haven't driven it yet. I picked up a nut today when I had to out shopping for some stuff for work. Hopefully I'll be able to take it for a spin tonight.

#165 ·
Took it for a drive today after I replaced that bolt (M12x1.75 if anyone has the same issue I had) and the shocks are awesome. Quite honestly, I didn't think a ZJ could ride so nicely with 4" of lift and short arms. It's better than when I had my BB on there but it's not quite a stock ride quality. I can't wait to try this thing offroad to see how it performs with the shocks.

#166 ·
I recently removed the bumper cover, trimmed the fender liners, removed the fog lights, and painted the factory bumper that's under the bumper cover. It looked like crap after I pulled off the cover. Here's some pics of the front of my ZJ now. I'm getting it all ready for a trip to Bundy Hill in June.

#168 ·
Quite honestly, I think it's kinda funny looking without it. I'm planning on leaving it off for a little while. I'm starting to look at some bumpers. Also, not having fogs is going to bother me, but I think I'm going to try to get some lights wired off the factory wiring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.