ejschultz Build Thread - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > ejschultz Build Thread

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 04-21-2011, 04:14 PM   #46
PurpleZJ
1996 ZJ 

dang that sucks. in kc area i live in overland park, but surrounding me i drive through lenexa and shawnee and olathe. lenexa is pretty harsh on sound systems. if you get pulled over you either give up the equipment then and there or you get a huge ticket and a court date. its nuts. i just dont have my subs cuz they made my suspension sag and i traded them for a 42" plasma lol

1996 ZJ- 4.0, [COLOR="Purple"]AX-15 5SPD/NP242[/COLOR], RE 4.5" lift, 36x12.50x16.5 Goodyear military surplus tires, Longarms/Tri-4 link/one ton axle build/swap in progress, arb bumper, a bunch of other goodies
1995 XJ- 4.0 HO, ax-15(stolen for swap), stock
2001 GMC Sonoma-RIP...
2002 GMC Sierra 1500 ECSB-roadtrip/long haul vehicle
[CENTER][COLOR="Blue"]RIP Troy (bigbluezj94) you wont be forgotten[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Purple"]December 2010 GCOTM[/COLOR]

5spd ZJ Club Member 001
[/CENTER]

[QUOTE=bddisi;6376248]Glad you are ok. If you were a cat, you would be down to 8.:D[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Greengc4x4;10782815]Everything looks great, Hellen Keller! :D[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=rritch;10960201]plastic + Fuel + Ignition = "Bubba wake up this is gonna be good" :rofl:[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Purple"]RIP William Anthony Kolich(DAD)
you were the best father i could have wished for. I'll always miss you
04/28/58-2/13/11[/COLOR][/CENTER]
PurpleZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2011, 04:44 PM   #47
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

That's the main reason I'm not dumb with my systems anymore. I'm not going to have to give it up because a cop thought it was too loud for his liking. Personally, I feel that noise ordinances are a bunch of BS, but you've got those old people who say it's too loud, not that I'm knocking old people. But if it's too loud, you're too old. I don't play my music loud to piss people off, I play it loud because that's how i like it.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2011, 11:25 AM   #48
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Alright, I went ahead and put my Type R in a box built to the recommended specs by Alpine in the manual for the sub for what Alpine calls "optimum" performance. The box is 19.5" wide x 16.5" tall x 20" deep. The port is 22.5" squared. It's 27" long inside the box. The box grosses at 2.9 cubes and nets at 2.25 cubes after the port and sub. Fb is 30 Hz. So far I'm liking the box, but I still can't pick up on the extreme lows for some reason. They're at least audible now, but they drop off pretty severely. I may need a little more power for the Type R. Hmm... Kicker 750.1? Anyway, on to the pics...

Unread 06-21-2011, 01:20 PM   #49
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

I had a little bit of time today before work so I decided to finally deaden the front doors of the Jeep. I had/still have a ton of Audio Wrap deadener. This stuff is super sticky. The backing on it isn't paper like other deadeners, it's plastic. That kinda sucked because it was tearing and stretching while I was attempting to pull it off. Other than that, I don't have any complaints about the product. I did my best to seal off the doors using the deadener. The only holes left were holes the door panels inserted to. I haven't listened to anything yet so I'll have to update you all when I actually sit down to listen to something in the Jeep to let you know what kind of difference it made. On to the pics...

I did slip my mind to get a pic of the passenger door before I started deadening. I guess you can imagine a mirror image of the driver door for what that looked like before I started.
Unread 06-21-2011, 10:31 PM   #50
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

The deadener made a world of difference. If I didn't know any better, I'd say that I had a new set of mids in the doors. They shine now more than ever before. This is the first time I was able to "A B" test deadener. When I did my car, I deadened as I installed the 720PRS components; I've never heard them in my doors without the deadener. I've been running these speakers for quite some time now with no deadener. The couple of hours I spent doing this today was well worth it.
Unread 09-21-2011, 04:34 PM   #51
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

I'm honestly surprised I haven't posted any pics of my "new" interior.

Out with the old:

In with the new:

Unread 09-21-2011, 06:06 PM   #52
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

And lastly, for the day, my sticker collection...

The back windows are the same on both sides minus the Jeepforum.com sticker. That's only on the driver's side for this year. I'm going to make the assumption that I'll get another one next year when I pay for another year membership. That'll go in the same place on the passenger side when it comes.

And I had to get this for the window on the hatch...

Unread 09-28-2011, 07:04 PM   #53
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

I installed my clear corners to go along with my new TYC headlights. For anyone looking to get new headlights, go with TYC. They are an incredible aftermarket company for lights for our ZJs. They make factory lights for a lot of different vehicles. The light pattern is identical to stock lights and the clips that hold them in are just as good, if not better than the stock clips. This is my second set of aftermarket lights now because I didn't like the light pattern from the cheaper lights I tried. Anyway, on to the pics...

I didn't realize how crappy of a pic my phone decided to take. They sure don't look like 8 MP pics... Oh well. You get the drift.
Unread 09-28-2011, 09:03 PM   #54
Benja
1997 ZJ 

Nice TSi, just enjoy it

Why you changed the leather interior for the normal seats?
Unread 09-28-2011, 10:44 PM   #55
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Thanks. I'm one of the few who likes cloth more than leather. I'm way more comfortable on cloth than on leather. I also like manual seats more than power seats. It's less to break.
Unread 10-04-2011, 12:40 AM   #56
punisher65

2006 WK 

just read through your thread. i'm not an audiophile such as yourself but i do love listening to music. and loud, like you said. thing is, i can hear my speakers outside the doors easily even when the stereo is way down. for someone who has never done it, would putting the sound deadener in very difficult? also i'm pretty sure i going to blow out my walmart speakers pretty soon and i was just curious if those adapters you have were something that came with the speakers or if you had to buy them separately? good lookin jeep by the way!
BT Catch Can, TB ground, Cree LED Reverse Lights, Interior LED upgrade

WK Build Thread

1993 4.0 ZJ
BB and 31" Bighorns SOLD :(
punisher65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2011, 03:14 PM   #57
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Thanks. The adapters did not come with the speakers. If you order from Crutchfield, they'll send the adapters along with the speakers for free, as well as anything else you may need to install the speakers properly. The adapters fit up to a 6.5" speaker. The speakers I installed are 6.75" speakers. I had to dremel a little out of the adapters to get the slightly larger speaker to fit. Deadener isn't too hard to apply. It's really in the prep work. Make sure you clean all the surfaces thoroughly before you apply the deadener. It may fall off eventually if you don't do the proper prep work. Also, even though I didn't buy from them, Sound Deadener Showdown is a great place to get all your deadening materials from. They also have a bunch of reviews and info on different types of deadener to help you make your decision.

Lastly, today I installed a new 4 channel amp in the Jeep in order to go "active" with my front stage. For those of you who don't know what "active" means, it's basically setting all the crossover points before amplification, not after. When you pick up a component set, it comes with external, passive crossovers. You can run a component set off just a 2 channel amp if you're going to use the passive crossovers. This crossover goes in line before amplification. In order to go active, you either need a HU or an external processor that can lowpass the sub, bandpass the mids, and highpass the tweeters. It'll then pass on the processed signal to the amp. You'll need a seperate 2 channel for the mids and the tweeters or a 4 channel amp to do it all. I'll stop rambling about active vs passive crossovers. If you have questions about active vs passive, ask. If you don't care, cool, it's less explaining I have to do. Anyway, I picked up an extra Alpine V12 MRV-F345 4 channel amp. It's the same amp I use in my car for the front stage in there. I had to completely rip apart the dash, run a new set of RCAs, install the new amp, run the new Amplink cables so I can control both my amps from my Alpine 9855 head unit, and spend a little time tuning. All in all, I've already noticed a huge difference with quality. I was able to attenuate the tweeters from the crossover setting on my HU rather than using the EQ settings. I don't have any pics yet because my install definitely needs to be cleaned up. I need to finish my amp rack that's been in the planning stage since who knows when. If that ever gets completed, you'll see some pics of my new amp and how it's integrated into my system.
Unread 10-11-2011, 08:26 AM   #58
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

I picked up some vinyl a couple of days ago and played with it on my headlights. I finally got it the way I wanted it, left it on for a day, then decided to mask it, pull off the vinyl, and paint it. I'm pretty happy with my "mean" ZJ.

Unread 10-11-2011, 02:24 PM   #59
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Alright, I bit the bullet and built my amp rack today. Surprisingly, it was rather easy. It's nothing special; I didn't think I had it in me to build anything quite honestly. I'm proud of it and it allowed me to mount my amps to my seat. I did my best to clean up the wiring. I needed to leave a little slack for when the seat is folded down. The little white thing that's in there is a fuse that's inline with my remote turn on for my mono amp. I have that in there so I can pull the fuse, then disconnect my box and pull the box out of the Jeep, should I need to carry anything large. I've had that in there for a while but it really never did me any good because I still had my amps sitting in the way. Anyway, on to the couple of pics I took...

Unread 10-26-2011, 10:22 PM   #60
Black1998ZJ
1998 ZJ 

Looks great. I just tinted my bumper lights today too. Where did you get your clear corners from? I've been wanting some...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.