ejschultz Build Thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > ejschultz Build Thread

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-24-2010, 09:36 PM   #16
AEagle326
1995 ZJ 

damn, good work on those tweeters, i just ordered some, thats a damn good idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squashman702 View Post
You can never go wrong with an Orvis.
AEagle326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2010, 09:52 PM   #17
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Vibrations will definitely be in the back of my mind as they were while I was doing the install, but the box is double baffled. You can feel vibrations when you touch the box, but honestly, I think the seats vibrate more. I do appreciate the tips/concern though. Also, there will definitely be more mods in the future. I'm looking at a BB with shocks to get a little lift on it. I'll probably go the extra half inch and get some 31s at that point too. I have 245/75R16 tires now which are 30.46 inch tires. Hopefully I'll have this by the end of summer. As far as the tweeters go, that wasn't my idea so I'm no going to take the credit for that. My friend thought of it as I was looking for some 1/4" MDF to cut up to use for them. His way was much faster and I'm sure it looks infinitely better than any wood adapter would look, although you'd probably never see them anyways.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2010, 10:15 PM   #18
AEagle326
1995 ZJ 

i was actually just gonna 3m tape them somewhere under the mesh. the mounts seem like a better idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squashman702 View Post
You can never go wrong with an Orvis.
AEagle326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2010, 09:08 AM   #19
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Yeah. They're pretty solid in there. That part of the dash comes off pretty easily too. Pull it up to release all the clips then towards you to release a few more clips that are close to the windshield. I hope you have a good dremel to cut the grilles apart. It wasn't difficult, but there was a lot of plastic that needed to be trimmed for the Pioneer tweeters to fit.
Unread 05-25-2010, 09:29 AM   #20
solomon8718
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
You'll need a PAC SWI-PS for the Pioneer. It's pretty easy to use and program.
I saw that in your OP, but I read some poor reviews of these things on crutchfield.com. Make sure to post how well it works.
[COLOR="Silver"]98 ZJ GC 5.9 Limited[/COLOR] CURRENT - [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/silverback-gorilla-build-thread-manual-5-9-limited-1538015/"]"Silverback Gorilla" 5.9 manual build thread[/URL]
[SIZE="1"]- IRO Front Long arm kit, rear adjustable arms
- IRO 4.5" coils
- Bilstein 5125 series shocks
- JKS Quick disconnects
- 249 -> 242 swap
- Kolak 3" exhaust w/flowmaster 70

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/zj-ironrockoffroad-long-arms-1540655/"][SIZE="5"][B]Selling my long arms[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
[/SIZE]
[QUOTE=myjeeplovesmud;9530233]with that said, for those i may have frustrated when i was noob, i'm sorry, but thanks for not driving to my house with a bat.[/QUOTE]
solomon8718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2010, 09:52 AM   #21
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

I really like it. If you want to keep your steering wheel controls, it's the only way to do so. Either put up with it being slightly delayed or have no steering wheel controls. The delay isn't too bad. It's not as fast as controlling the factory radio, but it's still pretty quick. I don't have the SWI-PS, mine is the SWI-JACK. I would assume that the response on them would be almost identical. What I really like about it is you can program the buttons to do whatever you want them to do. I switched mine and made the buttons on the left the volume controls with the middle button being the mute and the buttons on the right are seek up and seek down. The factory layout is the opposite with no mute but a "P. Scan" button instead.

Personally, I'd definitely recommend this steering wheel interface to anyone. It may not be quite as fast as controlling the factory radio, but I'd hate having 5 useless buttons on the back of my steering wheel more than a very, very slight lag.
Unread 08-02-2010, 11:05 AM   #22
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Well, here's a little more for my build log. I decided to pick up some OEM tow hooks and put them on there so here's some before and after pics. I don't have any pics yet of the Jeep with the bumper back on. You'll have to excuse the pictures I took; they were with my phone because I can't seem to find my camera right now. Also, I just turned 70000 as well .

Unread 08-27-2010, 05:38 PM   #23
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Well, I got some new meats today. General Grabber AT2s. I had them before on a Jimmy I previously owned and I really liked them so I got them for the Jeep. They're 235/70R16 which equates to about a 29 inch tire. That's slightly larger than stock (28.5"). Also, in the pics you'll notice that my bumper is back on with the front tow hooks installed. I did get a nice little "Jeep" plate for the front to go on that ugly plate bracket.

Unread 09-29-2010, 01:29 PM   #24
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Okay, a couple of weeks ago I ripped one of the surrounds on my driver door speaker while trying to fix a couple of rattles. Long story short, I replaced them with some PPI 355CS components. As highly regarded as the components are, I did not care for them. The midbass response was typical of a 5.25" speaker and the tweeters really never seemed to warm up. Being an audiophile, I had to change this. I picked up a set of Pioneer TS-D1720C components. They're the same as the Pioneer Premier TS-D520C components I had in there, but they're a 6.75" speaker rather than a 5.25". There's no difference whatsoever between the Pioneer and the Pioneer Premier D series performance wise and because I bought from an unauthorized dealer online, it wasn't worth going to the Premier line because the extra warranty carried by the Premiers wouldn't be honored anyway. Back to the Jeep, I got the speakers installed today. I must say, I am very impressed with the overall sound quality and output from the speakers. The midbass is incredible and the tweeters are smooth and clear. They get a little harsh at higher volumes, but I can EQ that down a little. I did run into a slight issue though. The speakers require two brackets for me to get them installed. One bracket is just to get something to fit where the Chrysler speaker was. The other bracket is there because the speaker's basket is too wide to fit into the other bracket. This causes one of my clips on each door panel to not properly lock into place. It isn't noticeable at all, and it's a small price to pay for the amazing sound these provide. I didn't get any picturess of the speaker installed in the passenger door. If you'd like to see what it looks like, make a mirror image of the speaker in the driver door. Here you go...

The tweeters are in the dash in "custom cut" factory brackets. I love my dremel.
Unread 09-29-2010, 03:29 PM   #25
redfoxbody
1996 ZJ 

Man your jeep is clean! and I love those tsi rims...

[SIZE="5"][COLOR="White"][CENTER]Depressed about your car dent? dentszone.com[/CENTER] [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=]Nice the legs in that last picture, almost makes you not think about the jeep.[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=]My 16 year old little sister, you creep.[/QUOTE]
redfoxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2010, 09:34 PM   #26
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Lol. It's only clean in those pics. There's actually a ton of little scratches all over it as well as little door dings. It's also covered in mud from a little excursion I went on last week. I haven't had the time/money to run it through a $3 car wash to clean it up. Those black Rubicons look nice as well.
Unread 10-04-2010, 09:03 AM   #27
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Well, a surprise with my Jeep... I'm in the "15 inch club" now. I got a Kicker 10VCVR152. I didn't plan on "upgrading" my sub. I consider this an "upgrade because the Type X was a great sub, I just don't have the power on hand to make it sing. I don't want to match an amp to that sub, I'd rather match a sub to an amp. I'm overall extremely happy with my MRD-M605 so I don't plan on getting something new. The new 15" is actually a pretty decent sub. With the sub turned down on my HU, it blends extremely nicely with my front stage. When I crank it, it really puts out a lot of volume. It's not as clean as the Type X when it's cranked, but it still stays really clean at lower volumes, or high volumes with the sub turned down. For my listening habits, it's a better sub than the Type X.

Pics:

Unread 12-13-2010, 01:44 PM   #28
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Okay, hopefully this will be the last of my audio build for a while. I know you guys probably want to see this thing get lifted. That's next, but for now, here's some pics of my new box for the 15" in the Jeep. It's about 2.55 cubes sealed. Mike at AMI Creations built it for me. I don't have the box yet. I'll get some install pics when I get it in there.

There will be install pics up hopefully before Christmas, weather pending. It's 18 degrees here now and there's about 8 or so inches of snow that's drifting with the wind.
Unread 12-16-2010, 09:29 PM   #29
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Keep an eye out for my lift... I picked up a BB for the ZJ. Hopefully I can get it on it before winter break is over. Once school starts back up, I probably won't have time between that and full time work to do it until summer. Also, I'm going to try and get some pics of the new box installed in the Jeep up tomorrow.
Unread 12-20-2010, 09:12 PM   #30
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

And here it is...

It likes the sealed box better than the prefab box from Kicker. It still doesn't play as low as I'd like it to, but I think that has a little to do with my power more than the sub. I don't think 600 RMS is enough to get the extreme lows out loudly. I'm happy with it.

The next thing will be my 2" BB for sure. It came in today so that'll hopefully be going on before the next semester starts back up, if I can find some time.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.