Early ZJ to late ZJ or to WJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Early ZJ to late ZJ or to WJ?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-31-2014, 01:18 AM   #1
ElCaminoManT
1993 ZJ 

Early ZJ to late ZJ or to WJ?

so, the 93 laredo that i have is my first jeep. its been a learning experience for sure but ive been quite happy on this journey so far. while it mostly does what i want it to, it is lacking and id like to go a bit newer for a few more amenities and maybe a bit better ride and be able to take it on longer road trips.

should i maybe look for a 96-98 ZJ ? the interior seems much nicer than mine. are the I6s in them better than the early ones? mine is a TURD on the highway! ok on the bottom but thats about it.

how about a WJ? thinking maybe the V8 power would be nice, hows the 4.7 mag compared to the ol 5.2? i also like the idea of bigger brakes that the WJs have as well as the upgraded steering and far better rear suspension design. have heard the wheel wells are smaller than the ZJs tho? whats max tire size on say a 4" lift?

thanks in advance!

1993 Jeep ZJ Laredo 4.0L/42RE 242 4x4. 3" springs. Front and rear RC tubular lowers. Rusty's adjustable rear uppers. RE double-sheer front track bar. JKS adjustable rear track bar. Bilstein 5100s. 31" Falken Rocky Mountain A/T. 15" Eagle wheels. V8 steering linkage.
ElCaminoManT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2014, 06:31 PM   #2
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

Id get a WJ. Ive had 1 ZJ and two WJs, and my favorite is the WJ. More modern interior, rides nice, looks better. On a 4" lift id say 32s or 33s with trimming.

My vote is WJ
Unread 09-01-2014, 02:08 AM   #3
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Wheel wells are definitely smaller. Harder to trim.

Axles are wider and are the JK bolt pattern. Not a fan. The 4.7 is a bit better on gas mileage but not by much. I don't know anybody with a 4.7 that isn't on their second motor.

The WJ interior I don't like, it's nice but it feels, fake? Plasticky? Submarine like? Second gen ZJ is nice enough, doesn't feel like an XJ like the first gen does.

I6 on the second gen ZJ is supposed to be better, and supposedly they neutered it in the WJ. You want the niner though, quit lying to yourself.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2014, 11:25 AM   #4
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

I was on 3 with the 4.7, never again.

Pretty much, go drive a newer ZJ and a WJ and pick your favorite. One will feel better than the other, but only to you.
Unread 09-01-2014, 06:36 PM   #5
ElCaminoManT
1993 ZJ 

thanks for the replies. in all honesty, i prefer the 4.0L due its simplicity and ease of working on. the V8s obviously have more power, but wrenching quarters are much tighter.

im going with a friend to check out a 96 5.2 laredo tonight, so itll give me a chance to see how the newer zj interior feels.

my aunt has an 00 WJ limited with the 4.7 that only recently was totaled in an accident. original engine and transmission.....293K miles! i have never ridden in it so i dont know how it feels compared to my 93.
1993 Jeep ZJ Laredo 4.0L/42RE 242 4x4. 3" springs. Front and rear RC tubular lowers. Rusty's adjustable rear uppers. RE double-sheer front track bar. JKS adjustable rear track bar. Bilstein 5100s. 31" Falken Rocky Mountain A/T. 15" Eagle wheels. V8 steering linkage.
Unread 09-01-2014, 09:24 PM   #6
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

4.7's are fine as long as they receive regular oil changes and the cooling system is maintained properly. My two 4.7 powered WJ's have over 300k combined service miles. Original motor, trans, axles, hell even the starters and alternators are factory.

The WJ 4.0 has issues with the thinner piston skirts cracking at random, regardless of maintenance history, not to mention they can also have issues with cracked cylinder heads.

I've owned both and prefer WJ's, but that's not to say they're not without their faults, just like the ZJ's (I'm looking at you BCM, EVIC, and 5.2 plenum gasket). If I were to get another ZJ it would definitely be a '98, however I'm not certain that I'd go with a 5.9, as there's just a lot of 5.9 specific parts that are hard to source and/or more expensive due to low production numbers. On the same token that's why I tend to shy away from the 4.7 HO.

Find a well maintained (maintenance records that are available) and low mileage example of each and test drive them. Then determine which will suit you best.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2014, 10:08 PM   #7
ElCaminoManT
1993 ZJ 

so we went and looked at that 96 last night. definitely was NOT a good example (i hope anyway) as the interior was quite tired, the suspension and steering were downright scary and the 5.2 was somehow running with no oil pressure (yes, the top end was making HORRIBLE noises). i think they just put in as much oil as they could as it was WAAAAY up on the dipstick so the crankshaft would be sitting in oil, lol! would have been nice if the seller couldve mentioned that to us before heading over to look at it. anyway, hopefully at some point ill be able to have a go in a better condition 96-98 at some point to see what its about.

same buddy found an 02 WJ laredo sport that he is going to go look at. it looks quite nice in the pictures and the description is really detailed so have to see what its about. ill be taking it for a spin and looking it over for him if it is what it is at least close to advertised to be. (he is not mechanically savvy. i work on cars for a living, so i get to do the dirty work for him). it is a 4.0L that apparently has had the engine replaced at some point, ill be looking it over quite thoroughly. it does at least have the 242 transfer case and not quadra-drive or trac, whatever its called

also found a 5.9 down here on CL for like $2k. looks decent but somehow has WJ wheels on it.....
Unread 09-04-2014, 11:36 PM   #8
ElCaminoManT
1993 ZJ 

the WJ deal fell thru, seller decided he wanted to be greedy so my buddy walked. he ended up finding a REALLY clean 98 laredo with 110k miles on it for a real good deal. had a chance to check it out today and take it for a drive. dang, the interior really is a lot nicer than the first gen like mine. the OBDII 4.0 also feels MUCH more responsive and spirited than my old OBDI setup.

still would like to have a good look at and drive a WJ.
Unread 09-05-2014, 02:40 AM   #9
leadsled jeep
2002 WJ 

I've owned '94 and '96 And now an '02. I like the WJs far better. Personal preference completely.
'02 Overland 130k+ miles. 245-70-17 GG AT2's. BDS 2" lift, Bilstein 5100's, JKS QDs. Addco Swaybars F/R. Stillen Front Rotors/ Pads. TRE's, BJ's, wheel bearings. 100% Amsoil. I like my rifles like my coffee, hot, black and continually refilled.
leadsled jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.