drwolcot's 2WD-->4WD swap build thread and pictures - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > drwolcot's 2WD-->4WD swap build thread and pictures

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-21-2010, 03:16 PM   #1
drwolcot

2002 WJ 

drwolcot's 2WD-->4WD swap build thread and pictures

I have a 2001 Limited Grand Cherokee that I got when I graduated high school back in 04. It started out 2WD and has since been converted ti 4WD... Can't have a 2WD Jeep

Jeep Specs

4.7L V8
545RFE Tranny
2WD (original)
242HD Transfer Case
D44a rear axle
D30 Front axle w/ vari-lok

Got the Jeep when I graduated and when I saw it on the lot it had 30,000 miles. At the time I was just looking for anything with a V8 and this fit the bill perfect and it just looked dang good. 4WD was the only option it didn't have.

Here it is as a stocker: that didn't last long

shortly later I added the 2 inch simple polyurethane coil spacers.

Just the 2inch spacers give it a 10x better appearance!!

Going to go ahead and skip to the good part!

The 2WD-->4WD conversion swap!

I ordered most of my parts online through either car-parts.com or through members here on the forum. I didn't have any good junkyards in my area so had to go online for parts.

Parts required for swap:

242HD Transfer Case (Can be taken from any V8 Jeep from 2000-2004)
Transmission Transfer Case adapter (had to buy new from a dealer; couldn't find anyone that would sell it separate from a tranny with it installed already, this is what separates a 2WD tranny and a 4WD tranny)
Rear driveshaft from V8 Jeep with 242HD
V8 4WD Tranny Mount
D30 Front axle
Front Driveshaft
Front Driveshaft bolts (for cv shaft)
Selec-Trac Shifter Assembly
Transfer Case shift cable
Torque Bracket (mount to tranny to hold shifter linkage for transfer case)
RTV sealant
ATF+4 Transmission Fluid
various nuts/bolts

items ordered

Transmission Transfer case adapter

242HD Transfer Case

Select-trac shifter assembly:

D30 Front Axle assembly with vari-lock from a 2000 Grand with only 45k miles on it. Later cleaned it up and repainted it before installing it in the Jeep

Last edited by drwolcot; 05-28-2010 at 01:53 PM..
drwolcot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2010, 03:31 PM   #2
drwolcot

2002 WJ 

Here is the 2WD extension housing that bolts to the 545RFE tranny. Remove this and you can install the Transmission Transfer Case Adapter.

The bolts that are used for the extension housing are the same bolts for the adapter plate..... they can be re-used

Here is the transmission mount for the 2wd extension housing... this must be changed with the new adapater plate for the transfer case

sprayed all the bolts when the best penatrating fluid out there.... and no its not PB Blaster.... Its called BD7-77 Plus... This stuff is absolutely amazing with a clear difference over the PB Blaster

Next remove the crossmember and the bolts that hold on the 2wd extension housing and had to hit on it with rubber mallet cause it was sealed with RTV. Make sure you get a bucket underneath cause it will spill plenty of tranny fluid. Also make sure to support the transmission with something you don't want it hanging freely.

When you remove the housing you are left with the output shaft from the Transmission.

Next it is time to install the Transmission Transfer Case Adapter plate onto the transmission so that you can install the transfer case. This adapter plate can be used for any of the transfer cases.

This picture is with the crossmember and the 4WD transmission mount installed onto the adapter plate. Note: it is easier to install the transfer case without the crossmember and the tranny mount in the way.

next install the transfer case.... not going into detail on that as there are plenty of threads on here that deal with that....

one of the mounting bolts for my transfer case was bent (must have been during shipping) so I just removed it and bought some grade 8 cap screw bolts and just ran it from the back of the adapter plate to the transfer case. Couldn't find a replacement cause it had 2 different threads on it, one for the case and one for the nut. Not worried about it since it is only one bolt and is torqued down just like the others

also installed the rear driveshaft from another V8 jeep with the 242HD transfer case.

Now time to install the torque bracket onto the adapter plate for the transfer case shifter cable.

Last edited by drwolcot; 03-21-2010 at 04:02 PM..
Unread 03-21-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
drwolcot

2002 WJ 

Now to swap the front D30 in place of the 2WD front axle

sorry, I didn't take a picture of the front axle .....but you guys get the idea

Everything from the 2WD front axle as far as springs, control arms, shocks, tie rod, calipers, track bar, etc will swap over. Everything from my original axle was in good condition so nothing new was needed to buy.

This axle came from a 2000 Grand. Before the install I took the cover off, drained the old gear oil, and inspected the gears. They looked good, cv boots looked good, etc. Should be seeing that the axle only had 45,000 miles on it

here is me working underneath

and my good friend helping out with the swap . Honestly who wouldn't want to participate in this

Here is the front axle removed with just the control arms empty

NO Axle!

the new axle is in......

side view with my Stillen Rotors swapped over and the Akebono calipers (kit from Kolak)

after the swap had to bleed the brakes starting with the furthest from the master cylinder.

After the install and driving a few miles on the Jeep the ABS light came on. I read on here that somebody stated that air can get into the ABS system and allow it not to work and you have to take it to the dealer Just curious why does this happen? When I did my caliper swap to the Akebonos a couple of years ago I didn't have that problem....

With the new front axle in, I decided it would be best to go get a front end alignment. While it was there at the shop i asked them to check the suspension since I just installed a new axle just to get them to double check everything..... they said they would do it for free! Well they did the alignment and about a day later heard some clunking and get underneath and found out my track bar was loose! WTF! it was obvious too.... can't trust anybody to do things for you. They said they checked the suspension and it was obvious that they didn't. Good thing they didn't charge for it even though it was on the bill or I would have been livid!
Unread 03-21-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
BigMikeWJ
2002 WJ 

wow! thats a lot of work...i would have just bought another 4x4 WJ! I guess that way just isnt as fun though.

How much did this entire conversion run ya??
Unread 03-21-2010, 04:55 PM   #5
drwolcot

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMikeWJ View Post
wow! thats a lot of work...i would have just bought another 4x4 WJ! I guess that way just isnt as fun though.

How much did this entire conversion run ya??
It really wasn't that much work. I got it done in 2 days over the weekend. It was definently a lot of fun to do it. It cost me about $800 in parts.
Unread 03-21-2010, 05:45 PM   #6
BigMikeWJ
2002 WJ 

thats impressive!! where in GA btw?
Unread 03-21-2010, 05:49 PM   #7
drwolcot

2002 WJ 

Statesboro. What about you?
Unread 03-21-2010, 06:19 PM   #8
drwolcot

2002 WJ 

Now for the install of the shifter assembly and the transfer case shift cable

Here is where the cable runs through the floor board... It's the one underneath my bluetooth adapter for my stereo.

I had to remove the dash assembly to make it easier to install the cable and while I was at it I replaced the re-circ door because it was broken.

installed the HeaterTreater re-circ door assembly replacement.... kind of broke part of the grill when trying to pull the cover off

The 2WD shifter assembly

4WD shifter assembly installed

Shifter assembly installed with center console

Last edited by drwolcot; 03-21-2010 at 06:51 PM..
Unread 03-21-2010, 06:26 PM   #9
BigMikeWJ
2002 WJ 

kennesaw!

10char
Unread 03-21-2010, 06:51 PM   #10
studmichael

snellville .. thats nice man looking good
studmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2010, 06:53 PM   #11
drwolcot

2002 WJ 

cool... maybe we can all hit up some trails or something sometime now that I have 4WD.... I'm willing to travel
Unread 03-21-2010, 06:56 PM   #12
drwolcot

2002 WJ 

Now I have installed some emblems to make it look authentic like it came from the factory

I installed the Jeep 4x4 logos

I have ordered the quadradrive emblem for the rear tailgate and a new Jeep emblem for the hood as mine is in bad shape. I'm just waiting for them to be delivered

I also notice that my pin stripe is in pretty bad condition

Chrome Tow Hooks

a couple years ago I ordered the factory chrome tow hooks for the front..... easy install and pretty cheap

Unread 03-21-2010, 07:20 PM   #13
drwolcot

2002 WJ 

Now for the various stuff I have done to the Jeep

GPS install
Air Intake
modified original air box to help block possible water to the intake
6.5 inch DVD/CD player install
Speaker swap
Condenser busted, installed new one

removed front bumper/grill so I don't rip it off on the trails

modified the ashtray opening to fit a Magellan GPS

mounting hardware for the GPS

installed

Air Intake

Just an el-cheapo from ebay.... It sounds good to me

modified the air box to help block potential water when on the trail. Need a new filter for it as it's quite dirty and its a cheap one.... also I need to clean my engine bay

Condenser install

busted my condenser about 5 years ago.... how? I have no clue. replaced the condenser and the accumulator

my dad helping me out

new tweeter install along with new speakers.

Bought some JBL component sets and put the tweeters in the dash where the originals were

Unread 03-21-2010, 07:26 PM   #14
drwolcot

2002 WJ 

comparo of my Jeep with the 2 inch BB and bigger tires vs a stocker

My Jeep hauling my FREE boat back when I had my small old tires and when I kept loosing then freakin center cap on my front passenger wheel

well the boat definitely runs and FLOATS! Down in the intercoastal waterway near Savannah, GA

Last edited by drwolcot; 05-28-2010 at 02:04 PM..
Unread 03-21-2010, 07:38 PM   #15
redfoxbody
1996 ZJ 

looking good man we will deffinately have to hit up the trails in orlando when you come down next.

[SIZE="5"][COLOR="White"][CENTER]Depressed about your car dent? dentszone.com[/CENTER] [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=]Nice the legs in that last picture, almost makes you not think about the jeep.[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=]My 16 year old little sister, you creep.[/QUOTE]
redfoxbody is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2wd to 4wd conversion

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.