Doogie's Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Doogie's Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 11-05-2009, 01:04 PM   #1
doogie

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Doogie's Build Thread

***Current Pic***

Well this is the 4th Jeep I've owned since joining this forum and I've never once done a build thread so I figured it was time. I've been into cars since an early age. Nothing I've ever done has really been extreme just mildly modified. A few 4x4 Toyota trucks, then went to mini trucks in the mid to late 90's. Then back to a Nissan 4x4 then to another mini truck then on to a couple civics, one of them I even did a JDM front end conversion. Back to a 4x4 Toyota then to a Scion XB then about 4 years ago my first Cherokee and since then and from now on Iíll be a Jeep guy. Got a 99 XJ with 12,000 miles on it, paid way to much and a guy rear-ended me and it got totaled about 2 weeks after buying it. So I got a blue 2 door, then foolishly sold it and got an older 89 Cherokee, then on a whim traded it for a stock TJ. The TJ I never really got used to the lack of space and I couldnít tow my boat. So the Msís needed a new car and it was the perfect excuse to trade my TJ. It allowed me to get back into another Cherokee. And Iím glad I got a GC. It rides good has power options such as locks and windows and should be a nice wheeler and DD.

Just to pay a little respect to the TJ, it did treat me well for 50 or so thousand miles.

I probably got into a little bit of a hurry buying the ZJ. I was completely without something to drive and I only test drove 3 others before deciding on this one. All were way overpriced and this one was the first reasonable one but Iíve seen better deals since.

Purchased October 15, 2009

95, 4.0, Auto, NP231, 30/35, 3.55ís

Running budget so far goes like this:
*Prices include shipping where applicable
$1,800 purchase price
$360 new, t-case seal, valve cover seal, flush & fill trans with filter change
$35 compete oil change/lube job at local quick lube
$35 on Ebay for pair of new tail lights
$16 on Ebay for side light
$50 on C-list for brand new Hitch
$500 on C-list for 5 245/75/16 MTRís on Moabs (aka Rubicons)
$153 on Ebay for 4 Skyjacker hydro shocks
$68 on Ebay for 2.25Ē spacers from 4WheelCustoms
$96 on KOR for F/R bump stop extensions and rear spring post extensions
$11 for new bulbs for above lights
$50 for Clay bar kit, wax, carpet cleaner, engine degreaser
$70 for Ebay exhaust manifold
$145 KOR upgraded roof mount tire carrier, black Firday sale
$920 Install exhaust manifold, replaced rear main, tail shaft, oil pan and t-case seals and installed a new radiator
$35 Checked and found blown TCM fuse, new radiator cap
$115 Fixed cig lighter and found/fixed worn wire harness causing tranny issues
+$300 Kid hit me in the snow, broke bumper gave me $300 to not call cops
$250 (+$300 from kid, $550 total) New HD bumper from the RLC Welding (Ebay guy) Pics of his junk on Pirate
$515 - 4 new Cooper ATR 245/75/16's
---------------------------------------------------------
$5,224 so much for a cheap ZJ, this # is only going to get bigger

*Iíll go larger on the lift but until I can hoard away a budget for a gear swap and maybe a rear axle swap, both at least a year away, the budget boost with have to do.

This is the day after I brought her home.

This is day 2. Can you spot what's missing?

This is day 3 after taking off the panels, clay bar on the paint and a wax.

Ordered a few Ebay items to make it not look like such a hunk.

Rears came in a couple days later.

With several leaks flowing oil when I bought it, I cleaned and degreased the engine. I still need to fix a slight rear main seal issue.

With the holidays coming up I really wanted to wait until afterward to make anymore purchases. But searching Craigís list daily seems to be a problem of mine. I just couldnít turn these down. I am such a sucker for Moabs, had them on one of my old Cherokees and knew I had to have them for this one. The funny part of picking these up was I pulled up at this rich yuppies house who had just installed a RE long arm kit on his Rubicon with some shined up 35ís. I asked him if he wheeled itÖ..he says and I quote ďnever I just lifted it so I could back further into the water when I unloaded my kayak.Ē

The night I got them home.

The next day.

So of course I canít have those wheels sitting around without putting them on. So I get on the internet and start ordering parts. I should have just ordered everything from Kevinís except shocks but I thought I could save a few bucks by going through a couple different sites. But I noticed later Kevinís puck prices included shipping so I think I shot myself in the foot there. Either way 2.25Ē pucks, Skyjacker hydros, Kevinís bump stop extensions and spring post extensions are en-route to the house. If I get all the parts Iíll do the install this weekend but Iíd say I wonít have everything by tomorrow. So looks like install in on the schedule for next weekend.

My old ZJ build thread
Previous builds 99-XJ, 98-XJ, 89-XJ, 05-TJ, 95-ZJ, 79-J10

Last edited by doogie; 01-18-2010 at 03:43 PM..
doogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
rugermack
1995 ZJ 

starting to look like something, keep up the work.
95' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 148k, 5.2, NP242, 46RH, 4" RC lift, all new adjustable ca's(2 IRO front uppers and the rest RC adjustables), nitro shocks, JKS TB's, Jet Chip, Dynamax cat back, Magnaflow cat, GTP hood vents. 31" Pro Comps with Rock Krawler "D"s. Westin brush/grill guard with Hella 500s, 411's, Solid diff covers, detroit locker rear, power lock in front, SYE and Tom Wood's front/rear shafts, RE discos, BPE's, d-rings front and back, factory tc and rad skid, hitch, Sliders next.
03' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, (wifes Jeep) 99k, 4.7 5 speed auto, K&N, KYB shocks, drilled-slotted rotors, All the toys.
2000' Ford Superduty, F250, 7.3, 198K, 37's, too much to list.

Built Not Bought #257

Parts for sale d30 and d35 parts http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f126/...-parts-1004499
rugermack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 02:10 PM   #3
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

I can't remember what type of Jeep you have to get Moabs from for them to have the correct bolt pattern to fit a ZJ, but that's what I want to do in the long run. I think they'll look sharp on your new 4.0. You're part of the club now. We get our 4.0's talked down by all the V8 guys, but they get us there, and the torque rules. Best of luck with your new build. Have fun with it.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 02:21 PM   #4
doogie

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugermack View Post
starting to look like something, keep up the work.
Thanks! Yeah I as a little ashamed to be seen it for the first few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard View Post
I can't remember what type of Jeep you have to get Moabs from for them to have the correct bolt pattern to fit a ZJ, but that's what I want to do in the long run. I think they'll look sharp on your new 4.0. You're part of the club now. We get our 4.0's talked down by all the V8 guys, but they get us there, and the torque rules. Best of luck with your new build. Have fun with it.
I can't say that part of me doesn't wish I'd waited around to find a V8 but I'm not unhappy with my 4.0. I've owned 4 of them and they have all been really good to me so I can't complain.

Any moabs will fit our ZJ's from 06 and older Rubicons. Another aid in telling which is which is that the ones that will fit our ZJ's are 16". Look for the 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern, anything that will fit a YJ or TJ will fit on us.

The new Rubicons run the 17" Moabs and match the WJ bolt pattern it's 5 on 5.5" bolt pattern. We can run those but we need adapters. I'd like to get those but I tow a boat and I didn't want to kill my gearing with the 255's on the new Moabs which I think are slightly over 32" tall.

My old ZJ build thread

Last edited by doogie; 11-05-2009 at 02:37 PM..
Unread 11-05-2009, 02:44 PM   #5
doogie

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Forgot to add a pic of the hitch. It was brand new, guy said he bought it for his wife's ZJ and she decided to sell it before he put it on. Came with wiring and everything all for $50. I love Craigslist.

Oh and yeah the rear carpets need serious cleaning! It's on my to do list. If your looking super closely I've cleaned the right side rear seat front and back but I haven't gotten to the left side.

My old ZJ build thread
Unread 11-05-2009, 04:32 PM   #6
AEagle326
1995 ZJ 

this looks promising!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squashman702 View Post
You can never go wrong with an Orvis.
AEagle326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 04:53 PM   #7
rugermack
1995 ZJ 

I'll send you my address, because you really don't need that hitch, do you.
95' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 148k, 5.2, NP242, 46RH, 4" RC lift, all new adjustable ca's(2 IRO front uppers and the rest RC adjustables), nitro shocks, JKS TB's, Jet Chip, Dynamax cat back, Magnaflow cat, GTP hood vents. 31" Pro Comps with Rock Krawler "D"s. Westin brush/grill guard with Hella 500s, 411's, Solid diff covers, detroit locker rear, power lock in front, SYE and Tom Wood's front/rear shafts, RE discos, BPE's, d-rings front and back, factory tc and rad skid, hitch, Sliders next.
03' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, (wifes Jeep) 99k, 4.7 5 speed auto, K&N, KYB shocks, drilled-slotted rotors, All the toys.
2000' Ford Superduty, F250, 7.3, 198K, 37's, too much to list.

Built Not Bought #257

Parts for sale d30 and d35 parts http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f126/...-parts-1004499
rugermack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 04:57 PM   #8
XJ_Renegade
1999 XJ Cherokee 

This is definitely a good first month of ownership.
[COLOR=White] White Jeep Club Member #108 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=Blue]R.I.P. Troy Edwards[/COLOR]

My Build Thread: [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/99-xj-project-arctic-wolf-1126101/"]Project [color="white"]Arctic Wolf[/color][/URL]
XJ_Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 05:41 PM   #9
MyZJ98
1997 ZJ 

Just curious, what size tires are those on the moabs? And if you don't mind my asking, how much you get them for? I LOVE the moabs too, but with my jeep, I'd really like to get a set and get them powdercoated black instead. Cool build so far, keep it packed with pictures of updates!

'98 ZJ Laredo, 4.0L, 140K, NP242, stock. (Sold @205k)
'99 WJ Laredo, 4.7L, 175K, NP249, stock. (Sold @240k)
'97 ZJ Limited, 4.0L, 109K, NP249, stock.(Current)
MyZJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 05:44 PM   #10
doogie

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugermack View Post
I'll send you my address, because you really don't need that hitch, do you.
Well honestly last night when I found this on Craigs list I thought about selling the hitch but once I thought more on having to chop my rear hatch I decided against it. It's only about an hour a way but the hatch chop and the fact that I've blown $1,000 this month on parts, I just need to cool my jets.

Check this out!

***ZJ Grand Cherokee Caroina rock shop rear bumper***

My old ZJ build thread
Unread 11-05-2009, 05:44 PM   #11
XJ_Renegade
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyZJ98 View Post
Just curious, what size tires are those on the moabs? And if you don't mind my asking, how much you get them for? I LOVE the moabs too, but with my jeep, I'd really like to get a set and get them powdercoated black instead. Cool build so far, keep it packed with pictures of updates!
Quote:
I probably got into a little bit of a hurry buying the ZJ. I was completely without something to drive and I only test drove 3 others before deciding on this one. All were way overpriced and this one was the first reasonable one but Iíve seen better deals since.

Purchased October 15, 2009

95, 4.0, Auto, NP231, 30/35, 3.55ís

Running budget so far goes like this:
*Prices include shipping where applicable
$1,800 purchase price
$360 new, t-case seal, valve cover seal, flush & fill trans with filter change
$35 compete oil change/lube job at local quick lube
$35 on Ebay for pair of new tail lights
$16 on Ebay for side light
$50 on C-list for brand new Hitch
$500 on C-list for 5 245/70/16 MTRís on Moabs (aka Rubicons)
$153 on Ebay for 4 Skyjacker hydros
$68 on Ebay for 2.25Ē spacers from 4WheelCustoms
$96 on KOR for F/R bump stop extensions and rear spring post extensions
$11 for new bulbs for above lights
$50 for Clay bar kit, wax, carpet cleaner, engine degreaser
[COLOR=White] White Jeep Club Member #108 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=Blue]R.I.P. Troy Edwards[/COLOR]

My Build Thread: [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/99-xj-project-arctic-wolf-1126101/"]Project [color="white"]Arctic Wolf[/color][/URL]
XJ_Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 05:50 PM   #12
doogie

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEagle326 View Post
this looks promising!
Thanks, Iíll try and keep it updated often, even if itís just little stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ_Renegade View Post
This is definitely a good first month of ownership.
Iím just lucky my wife has been supportive of me ďgetting it the way I want itĒ. Didnít hurt that she got a new car out of this deal.

Quote:
245/70/16ís, just the stock MTRís that come on 03-06 Rubicons. Paid $500 for wheels and tires and Iím happy cause I have a matching spare. They look good black and even charcoal I even think there is a picture thread or 2 on this forum of guys whoíve painted theirs.

My old ZJ build thread
Unread 11-05-2009, 06:06 PM   #13
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like it will be sweet.
WTS: 4.2 parts. Fuel lines, pump, block, head, accessories, just ask
green89yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 06:18 PM   #14
MyZJ98
1997 ZJ 

Cool, good deal. Those 245s just look monsterous against your stock tires, but are your stockers smaller than 245s? I guess being for a 16" rims makes them bigger too.

'98 ZJ Laredo, 4.0L, 140K, NP242, stock. (Sold @205k)
'99 WJ Laredo, 4.7L, 175K, NP249, stock. (Sold @240k)
'97 ZJ Limited, 4.0L, 109K, NP249, stock.(Current)
MyZJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 06:46 PM   #15
doogie

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Cool, good deal. Those 245s just look monsterous against your stock tires, but are your stockers smaller than 245s? I guess being for a 16" rims makes them bigger too.
Stockers are 225/75/15's. I haven't looked at a tire size calculator to see exactly what the difference is between the two but looks to be about 2 inches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green89yj View Post
Sounds like it will be sweet.
I just need it to be sweet enough to carry my family over Black Bear Pass this upcomming summer. Drove my 98 Cherokee to Grand Junction CO last winter for a trip but couldn't run any of the trials due to the snow. So I vowed I'd get back out there soon as I could....I love big sky country.

My old ZJ build thread

Last edited by doogie; 11-05-2009 at 09:35 PM..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.