Don't know what to do with my WJ (Lien Issues) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Don't know what to do with my WJ (Lien Issues)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Closed Thread
Unread 08-19-2014, 05:39 PM   #1
joia
2003 WJ 

Don't know what to do with my WJ (Lien Issues)

I've got a 2003 WJ Overland in excellent condition with 90k miles that I recently purchased. Long story short the seller of the vehicle lied and there is a lien on the vehicle and I have been unable to obtain the lien release papers as the seller ignores my calls or strings me along for several months now.

I just can't do this any longer. I'm stressed out and just want to unload the jeep but I can't just sell it to somebody else who can't register it.

Does anybody want to buy this jeep for a parts vehicle or something? What else can I do with this thing?

joia is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2014, 05:56 PM   #2
chrism1367
2003 WJ 

You could drive it through his front window...
chrism1367 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2014, 05:59 PM   #3
SirSilvia
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism1367 View Post
You could drive it through his front window...
^^x2

I know nothing about liens but that's crappy
Unread 08-19-2014, 06:04 PM   #4
ezflip
NEWS FLASH It snows in MI

2002 WJ 

The police or a lawyer are your best options at this point. I am also moving this to general discussion.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

ezflip is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2014, 06:16 PM   #5
derekmac

2002 WJ 

I know here, the registry of motor vehicles can tell you who has the lien against the vehicle (for a fee). You should be able to find out who has the lien against it, and contact them directly. A lot of times the lien status just hasn't been taken off, and they can do that over the phone for you.
Future: 4" lift and lockers

Build thread.
derekmac is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2014, 06:28 PM   #6
Capt_Howdy

How much do you want for it?
Capt_Howdy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2014, 07:34 PM   #7
joia
2003 WJ 

It's got 4 lightly used A/T tires ~32" tires, plus unused spare. Budget boost lift. Upgraded HID headlights and taillights (stock lights are included as well). Maybe i'll throw in the roof rack, amplifier, subwoofer and upgraded stereo head unit. I've still got the stock head unit too.

Here are some pics.
http://imgur.com/a/bWR25
I do have the stock chrome grill now (not shown in pic, but still have the one in the pic on hand too). This jeep is clean and the engine is strong. At least the jeep has not been neglected. You could pick anything off this jeep EXCEPT the quadra drive is not working unless in low range. Also the rear right window fell off the tracks I think (I've got it ziptied up for now, I haven't looked into it yet).

I just don't have the time or space to deal with this. I still have the previous owners plates on the vehicle which are valid for the rest of August. Feel free to gather as many parking tickets and or crime sprees you desire and they'll be directed to his house.

$5,000. I paid $8700 and then spent another $1000 on fixing all the old cracked evap hoses and some other stuff. And if I ever get the release papers I'll send them to you. The guy claims he's "waiting on the trustee of the court" right now. He gives me no details and I have no idea what's going on or why there is a trustee of the court involved. But I simply can't keep driving the vehicle after the tags expire this month and I need to get a vehicle I can use. Maybe in a month or two whatever this problem is will be resolved and he actually will send me the release papers. But if anybody wants to buy it maybe they can sit on it for a few months until the papers arrive.

I'll consider car trades too. I'll throw in additional cash if you've got something decent.

Last edited by joia; 08-19-2014 at 07:57 PM..
joia is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2014, 08:19 PM   #8
Capt_Howdy

$5000 is way too much for something with a lien that you hope to sell as a parts vehicle. I wouldn't pay more then $1500 -$2000 for it. You might want to seek the help of a lawyer before the Jeep gets repoed.
Capt_Howdy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2014, 08:25 PM   #9
ezflip
NEWS FLASH It snows in MI

2002 WJ 

First of all, don't sell your stuff here. Use the classifieds section for that. Second of all, everything you are talking about doing, is illegal. You cannot sell a vehicle with a lien on it. You should NOT have purchased the vehicle with someone else's lien on it, and then drive around with the other guys plates still on it? I hope you at least got a signed receipt from the seller, otherwise, he could easily report it stolen and there would be absolutely nothing you could do about it. I am locking this thread now since discussion of illegal activity is prohibited on this forum, and I don't see this thread going anywhere else. Get a lawyer and cover your own ***.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

ezflip is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.