donha1mn's 5.9 build thread - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > donha1mn's 5.9 build thread

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-07-2011, 09:20 PM   #91
RedRock527
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by donha1mn View Post
Went on a buying spree the last couple days. I installed a new head unit with a USB line, got the tune up kit for the 5.9, a new speedo gear, another rim for my spare, hi lift jack w/base, some hi lift accessories, couple D rings, and a 30' recovery strap. Lots of boxes coming in the next couple weeks
Gotta love spending sprees on the Jeep!

RedRock527 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2011, 02:17 PM   #92
donha1mn
1998 ZJ 

Thought it was time for an update since I haven't posted in a while. Today I recieved my KOR steering box brace. On friday I'm getting a few boxes from Kolak. A couple weeks ago I got my spare mounted. Now I just have to figure something out because it's too big to stick in the back.

My jeep handled very well during the recent storm. We only got about 8" here but with the winds the back roads were drifted over 3-4 feet. I had no probelms getting through them. At a few points I was actually pushing snow with my ARB. My roomate and I drove around in our ZJs for about 4 hours. At one point he got high centered in the drifts and I had to pull him out.

CB and new head unit.

My high lift on the floor in the back seat
98 5.9 ZJ: 4.5" IRO + 1" spacers w/IRO front adjustable long arms and rear adjustable CAs, IRO OTK steering, KOR steering brace, JKS quick disconnects, IRO belly skid, Bilsteins, 33x12.5x15 Duratracs on MT sidebiters, ARB bumper w/ WARN M8000 and 2 55W Hella Black Magic, JCR stage 2 sliders, Bushwackers, AEM CAI, Kolak Ignition Upgrade, 3" Kolak exhaust w/Flowmaster 44

In the garage: 8.8 w/4.10s and LSD, Artec 8.8 swap kit and truss

My 5.9 BUILD THREAD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...hread-1095938/

RIP TROY
RIP RATMONKEY
donha1mn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2011, 09:17 PM   #93
donha1mn
1998 ZJ 

Well my jeep may be in its final days. Engine and tranny took a dump on me today. I was just doing some easy trail riding enjoying the nice day we had. All of a sudden I smelt something burning and took a glance in my mirror and all I could see was smoke. I had no CE light, my gauges were all normal. I stopped real quick and shut it off and my tranny was just spitting out fluid. I took a quick look at it and I noticed that one of my coolant lines had melted and seperated itself from the transmission body. I also noticed that some zip ties I had around the coolant lines up by the cooler had gotten so hot that they melted and fell off. Checked the fluid and its black with particles in it. Also my engine won't start now. When I opened hood after I stopped coolant was boiling out of the reservior tank. Oil level seems to be fine but when I try to start it she doesn't try. The starter goes but the engine doesnt crank. My guages don't work anymore either. I guess we'll see the extend of the damage within the next few days. If both are gone I've got some thinking to do. I dont think Im going rebuild either of them.

A good thing that came out of this was the tow truck driver was a jeep guy. We had a good time talking about jeeps and riding. He had a CJ7 on 35's. He told me about some spots around here and invited me to go with him and friends.
98 5.9 ZJ: 4.5" IRO + 1" spacers w/IRO front adjustable long arms and rear adjustable CAs, IRO OTK steering, KOR steering brace, JKS quick disconnects, IRO belly skid, Bilsteins, 33x12.5x15 Duratracs on MT sidebiters, ARB bumper w/ WARN M8000 and 2 55W Hella Black Magic, JCR stage 2 sliders, Bushwackers, AEM CAI, Kolak Ignition Upgrade, 3" Kolak exhaust w/Flowmaster 44

RIP TROY
RIP RATMONKEY
Unread 02-16-2011, 09:21 PM   #94
marcua56
1998 ZJ 

Damn dude sorry to hear that I was following this build and love the work, Wanna part out all the goodies? : )
marcua56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2011, 09:39 PM   #95
donha1mn
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcua56 View Post
Damn dude sorry to hear that I was following this build and love the work, Wanna part out all the goodies? : )
Yea Im pretty heartbroken, I just filled up yesterday too damn it. As far as parting it out, we'll see how bad everything is. I may just get a 5.2 and swap everything over.

RIP TROY
RIP RATMONKEY
Unread 02-16-2011, 10:31 PM   #96
RedRock527
1996 ZJ 

Well, if the motor isn't completely shot you could just get a new tranny.

Either way, I wouldn't part the Jeep out, I would just bring it back to life! Jeep never dies... never! Muwhahaha!
RedRock527 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2011, 11:00 PM   #97
donha1mn
1998 ZJ 

Anybody know of a transmission beefier than a 46RE that will bolt up to a 5.9? This is the third ****ing time my transmission has gone out. I think most of it has to do with shops not rebuilding it correctly. I want to make sure it won't happen again. I either want to find a JY 46RE with low miles or figure out a different transmission to use so this **** doesnt happen anymore.

RIP TROY
RIP RATMONKEY
Unread 02-17-2011, 12:21 AM   #98
vonericsen
1995 ZJ 

that really sucks to hear. If i were you i wouldn't part it out. Just fix it or swap a different engine/transmission because you've put a lot of work into it already. Hope the damages arent too bad
Unread 02-17-2011, 09:03 AM   #99
ThomasHA
1994 ZJ 

I have followed this thread as well and I'm very sad to hear this.

As fellow jeepsters say don't part it out... eventhough I could use the leather handbreak ... but take the tranny out and perhaps the engine and swap in a new used one.

Just like Marines: "Jeeps never die! They just go to Hell and Regroup! "
ThomasHA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2011, 10:12 AM   #100
marcua56
1998 ZJ 

Well by part out I ment put everything on my 5.9 so its just like yours but im glad to hear talk of rebuilding it. Keep the legend alive
marcua56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2011, 01:04 PM   #101
NothingM_N
1998 ZJ 

you got a great looking jeep be a shame to go to a 5.2..get you a crate motor and tranny!

98 ZJ 5.9 - 7in IRO long arm kit w/ rubi wheels on 35in KM2's, ARB bullbar, sliders, winch, 4.10 gears
NothingM_N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2011, 11:32 PM   #102
NW-XJ
1998 ZJ 

the 46RE in our jeeps is VERY specific to OUR JEEPS..

I just replaced mine in October.. It sucks.. the 46re is HUGE and STRONG for our little jeeps, but it is also as Fragile as ANY chrysler transmission..

let the rage and anger out, and when you calm down.. figure out a better trans shop.. And get a warranty next time!
Unread 02-18-2011, 01:46 AM   #103
donha1mn
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-XJ View Post
the 46RE in our jeeps is VERY specific to OUR JEEPS..

I just replaced mine in October.. It sucks.. the 46re is HUGE and STRONG for our little jeeps, but it is also as Fragile as ANY chrysler transmission..

let the rage and anger out, and when you calm down.. figure out a better trans shop.. And get a warranty next time!
It came with a warranty, 20,000 miles/1 year and of course the 1 year expired this past October . The tranny has less than 13,000 on it so we'll see what happens. The last shop to rebuild it is picking it up tomorrow morning so I'll get an answer as to what needs to be done tomorrow afternoon. I'll be damned if I'm going to pay for another complete ****ing rebuild though.

RIP TROY
RIP RATMONKEY
Unread 02-21-2011, 01:24 PM   #104
donha1mn
1998 ZJ 

The shop said they were going to pick it up first thing in the morning on Friday and of course they didn't get it until after 1 in the afternoon and since they picked it up so late they didn't have time to look into it. I'm supposed to get a call sometime today.

Of course we get 10 inches of snow today and 35mph winds and my jeep is in the shop

RIP TROY
RIP RATMONKEY
Unread 02-22-2011, 04:23 PM   #105
donha1mn
1998 ZJ 

Went to the shop today and had a look at everything they had taken apart. Lets just say the tranny cooked itself. It had gotten so hot that things were melting like the selenoid and it turned the torque converter from blue to grey. Other things needing repair/replacement include fly wheel, shift linkage, and TC linkage. The shop worked with me a little bit as far as price since they had just rebuilt it 16 months ago. They haven't been able to get it to start yet. They said that they arent getting spark or voltage at the injectors. If all goes to plan I should have it back by the end of the week.

RIP TROY
RIP RATMONKEY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.