Do NOT use this gasoline - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Do NOT use this gasoline

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 02-21-2014, 10:55 AM   #1
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Do NOT use this gasoline

First time I had ever heard of this, I just got this in an email.
The GD global warming cult is at it again. As if raising food prices wasn't bad enough.

"For your information Harley-Davidson Motorcycles says that this fuel burns so much hotter then regular or high test gasoline that the air cooled engines may seriously overheat and destroy the engine. If you like your car, please watch this short video. It's the real deal! I'm not sure how the EPA could okay something like this..... Watch video about E15 gas if you have a car older than 2012 AND IT IS NOT FLEX FUEL RATED."

Sent from my iPad using electrons

rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2014, 11:04 AM   #2
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Unless something recently changed, the US Government voted against E15 a couple years back. Currently the highest allowable ethanol content in fuel classified as 'regular unleaded' is up to 10%, or E10.

Also, I find the statement you included a bit funny, since Ethanol typically lowers combustion chamber temps, allowing you to run higher amounts of timing for increased HP. With the proper tune and fuel system, E85 offers a significant increase in power in just about any application.

IBthemovetoanothersection

EDIT:

Yep, that video is from Dec. 2012.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2014, 11:11 AM   #3
kingmeirl
2003 WJ 

What next? Jeez.
kingmeirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2014, 11:58 AM   #4
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmeirl View Post
What next? Jeez.
... just imagine the size of the explosion in a rear end collision...
Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2014, 11:59 AM   #5
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Unless something recently changed, the US Government voted against E15 a couple years back. Currently the highest allowable ethanol content in fuel classified as 'regular unleaded' is up to 10%, or E10. Also, I find the statement you included a bit funny, since Ethanol typically lowers combustion chamber temps, allowing you to run higher amounts of timing for increased HP. With the proper tune and fuel system, E85 offers a significant increase in power in just about any application. IBthemovetoanothersection EDIT: Yep, that video is from Dec. 2012.
Yeah, that figures. I should have just checked Snopes.com before I posted it, just like half the stuff I get from the guy who sent it.

Unread 02-21-2014, 12:59 PM   #6
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
... Just imagine the size of the explosion in a rear end collision...
lol
Unread 02-21-2014, 01:15 PM   #7
minerbob
2014 JK Wrangler 

Not exactly true that E15 is not being sold. Stations in several of the Corn Belt states are selling E15 as well as E30 and other blends. If you are travelling through the Corn Belt, look at the labels on the pumps and be careful what you buy.
minerbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2014, 01:58 PM   #8
jserna
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Ethanol suck no matter how you slice it. It has killed many lawn mowers and weed eaters over the years. One think that she did not say is that as the ethanol breaking down is that it becomes acidic which is were the problem arises from.
jserna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2014, 02:30 PM   #9
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jserna View Post
Ethanol suck no matter how you slice it. It has killed many lawn mowers and weed eaters over the years. One think that she did not say is that as the ethanol breaking down is that it becomes acidic which is were the problem arises from.
Is that what eats the rubber? Huh, makes sense, now. If they'd just drill, we wouldn't be writing about this.

Unread 02-21-2014, 02:42 PM   #10
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Using a Harley is funny.

Its air cooled so its temp regulation is already compromised. Then they put a closed loop fuel injection system so they pass the newer emissions standards. That in itself raises its operating temp. Being that its running a lot leaner than before.

Running stoach makes engine run hotter. They do drop a cylinder on certain models as well as hang a fan. And richen the idle mixture for more cooling effect. Depending on model.
86cj74.2L is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2014, 08:05 PM   #11
scottspott99

in canada we have no ethanol 91 octane better burn better mpg
image-675862477.jpg

image-2100421146.jpg

image-2016050836.jpg

image-141916843.jpg

scottspott99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2014, 08:27 PM   #12
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I switched between E10 and strait gas since a local station sells the ethanol free stuff.

I've never noticed better MPG on my Saturn SL1. Just 40 cents per gallon poorer.

As for it killing small engines? Don't know. At least in my experience its not true. But I've always had 2 cycles. So I always shook the gas can Pryor to filling anything up.

As examples.

A 13 year old LawnBoy Silver Pro Series
Two 12 year old poulan pro chain saws.
One poulan pro leaf blower. That's at least 8 years old.
Unread 02-21-2014, 08:47 PM   #13
narnwv

2000 WJ 

I've moved this thread twice to Grand General. Please leave it there.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2014, 09:46 PM   #14
grussell
2001 WJ 

I tried E85 in my 2008 F150 Super Crew 4x4 and noticed a significant reduction in mpg. My Echo weed eater and blower have both been damaged by ethanol, all of the rubber hoses and plastic fitting virtually rotted away. I even store them in the winter with no fuel in the tank or carb.
Unread 02-21-2014, 10:42 PM   #15
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grussell
I tried E85 in my 2008 F150 Super Crew 4x4 and noticed a significant reduction in mpg. My Echo weed eater and blower have both been damaged by ethanol, all of the rubber hoses and plastic fitting virtually rotted away. I even store them in the winter with no fuel in the tank or carb.
My cummins regularly would rot the fuel return line from the injector pump. And every three of those the rubber line coming from tank would crack and split.

Edit. And its a diesel. No ethanol. I say fuel lines are now just junk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.