dnuccio's build thread-1995 ZJ Limited - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > dnuccio's build thread-1995 ZJ Limited

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 12-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #31
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Starting to disassemble it to swap the input to the longer one I need.
Front yoke removed:

Unread 12-02-2012, 08:29 AM   #32
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Also was able to install that bumper cap thing today. I did some surgery on the one from a rear bumper i got at the JY. I cut about 1.5 inches off the part that slides into the bumper cover, then cut out about a 1/4" of material right where it curves. Then i bent the bottom piece up. To hold it together, I used those plastic caps that come on cans of carb cleaner. I put them in a little metal can and melted them down. then used a razor blade to scoop the molten plastic out and graft it onto the cap. heated up a knife real hot and smoothed it over:

As you can see, you would only notice it if you were up close.
Cap is held onto the bumper cover using black sillicone.
Unread 12-02-2012, 08:30 AM   #33
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Not sure if I already said this earlier in the thread, but after i installed the up country springs, the @$$ end has sat 1.5" higher than the front. I decided to get 3/4" spacers for the back, and 1-3/4" spacers for the front. That will give me the lift I want and level it out. next paycheck
Unread 12-02-2012, 08:32 AM   #34
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Hit all 4 junkyards today.
Pick-a-part Mesa: UpCountry decal for rear window, crappy broken selec-trac bezel (only took it cuz it was the only one i ever saw, didnt know if id find another), selec-trac shifter gate (for the predetermined stops)
Pick-a-part Phoenix: 1.55" input shaft for the 242. Found a 249J sitting in the scrap pile, so i turned it over and read the tag. birhtdate: february 1994. threw it on a cart, wheeled it into the back of the yard, lifted it into the back of a fullsize dodge van, and ripped it to $h!t.
Pick-n-Pull Chandler: Good selec-trac bezel.
So the total I have in the 242 swap at this point is around $175. Ill get that back when I sell my old 249.

242 gutted:

Here you can see the difference in the two input shafts. 1.55" 23 spline on the left, .750" 21 spline on the right:
Unread 12-02-2012, 08:35 AM   #35
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Did another cool mod

Thats the factory underhood light location. The factory light is crap.
Massaged the sheetmetal a little bit, and was able to fit this single round outlet in the hole. Held in place with 2 sheet metal screws. Its wired with the original underhood light wires, so it only gets power when the hood is open.
This is what plugs into it:

Took an old desk lamp with a bad switch, gutted it, cut the housing up, and installed this halogen fog lamp. Wired it with the original lamp cord.
It has a clamp on the end, so I can clamp it where ever it needs to be. The post is flexible, so its easy to aim where I need it.

Super bright

Total cost was around 6 bucks. I had the light leftover from my front fog light install (broke one of the lenses, had to buy another set of lights. took one of the lenses, had a spare light). The outlet was 5 bucks plus tax, and the screws were 50 cents a piece (theyre stainless).
Unread 12-02-2012, 08:36 AM   #36
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Tomorrow I'm going to pull my trailer hitch. It sits really low (lower than the gas tank). I dont want it to get caught on something on the trail and risk tweaking the uni frame or something, so Im going to replace it with an OEM hitch that sits almost flush with the bottom of the bumper. The reese one i have now, at the lowest point, sits about 8 inches below the bottom of the bumper. the junkyards near me have a ton of these hitches, so Ill be able to pick one up for under $30. I can probably sell the one I have now for around $60-75
Unread 12-02-2012, 08:37 AM   #37
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Plans for the semi-near future after i do all the servicing on it this week are:
1.75 inch spacers in the front
.75 inch spacers in the back (back sits 1.5 inches higher, this will level it out and give me the height i want)
1.5 inch wheel spacers

Also sold my old hitch today, $75!! going to the junkyard tomorrow to find an OEM one because they tuck higher under the bumper. higher tuck=better departure angle
Unread 12-02-2012, 08:38 AM   #38
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

Seems like you are taking care of business! Its only been 5 months, but if youve shown it more love than the PO ever did!
bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2012, 08:38 AM   #39
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

the semi-future came early, i got the spacers today! installed them too, definately looks better now that its higher and now its level. i measured the front and back and theyre within 1/4" of each other, not gonna get closer than that. no pics of the install, my hands were so dirty that my touch screen phone wouldnt let me do anything
The next day:

Those tires are stock 235/75R15s
Unread 12-02-2012, 08:39 AM   #40
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Took the ZJ to school to work on the lift. This is as far as I got today. There was a car parked on the lift, so i had to wait for my teacher to move it. I'm about halfway done swapping out the driver side CV boot. heres pics:

Unread 12-02-2012, 08:41 AM   #41
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

saw a ZJ in the parking lot at school today. looks to be 4 maybe 5 inch lift on maybe 33 inch tires. has a prerunner front bumper. license plate says "LONE ZJ" haha, not for long!
Unread 12-02-2012, 08:42 AM   #42
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Rear diff opened up, fluid draining. Gears look excellent and no metal at all in the oil.

New fluid, walmart brand, cause its cheap
Unread 12-02-2012, 08:43 AM   #43
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Got a new cap, rotor, and wires today

No pic of the cap and rotor, sorry
Unread 12-02-2012, 08:43 AM   #44
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Rear diff is done. didnt do the front one because my dumb*** friend didnt realize the fluid was dumping out of the hole, so i lost some fluid on the ground. gotta buy another bottle or i wont have enough for the front diff. driving the ZJ home tonight, my dad wants to help me with the trans so were gonna take it to his friends shop in a couple weeks. ill do the front diff there.
Unread 12-02-2012, 08:49 AM   #45
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Next cheap-@$$ mod im going to do is get some of that expanded mesh ***** like that stuff you put in your rain gutters to keep leafs and crap out and cut it up and put it in my grill, to make it like a niner grill.
1 day later
picked up a couple sheets of the mesh stuff yesterday, will start working on that after school today. stay tuned for pictures
1 more day later
Started and almost finished the grill mesh today.
First I cut out all the plastic slats:

Then I filed down all the little nubs that were left over:

Make sure you dont cut off the mounting tabs!!
After that, I painted the inner part of the grills white (they were black).
Old:

Painted:

Used this:

Matches really damn close to the factory Bright White.
This is the expanded steel mesh I used:

Came in a 12" by 24" sheet for 10 bucks at home depot.
(I bought 2 but you only need 1, im taking one back tomorrow)
Now I cut pieces out that were 7.5" by 3.5" (openings in the grill are smaller than that but you need some metal to wrap around the sides).
I set them on the inside of the grill and used the back of a wire cutter to bend the sides flat with the sides of the inner grill. (kinda hard to explain)
Once they were bent, I painted them white:

That picture is only 4 of them, there are 8 total.
Only thing keeping me from putting it all together is I need to go get some epoxy to hold them on with.

Side note: cutting the mesh stuff is no easy task with regular side cutters. Really helps to have an angle grinder with a cut off wheel, or at least a small pair of bolt cutters. I did the whole thing with side cutters, my hand feels like it was run over by a truck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.