dnuccio's build thread-1995 ZJ Limited - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > dnuccio's build thread-1995 ZJ Limited

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 12-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #16
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

im tossing around the idea of a 2" BB and 30s instead of the full 3.5" kit and 31s because honestly, i would never need 3.5" and 31s where i plan to do all of my wheeling. it will be alot cheaper this way. also thinking maybe 1.5" BB and doing an up country conversion.
I wish shipping wasnt so damn expensive! found a gas tank skid on ebay for 34 bucks, but 88 bucks for shipping!!! found a transfer case skid on ebay, same seller, for 14 bucks, but 49.99 for shipping!! front skid for i think 20 bucks but 67 bucks shipping!!!!

Unread 12-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #17
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Got some stickers!

Unread 12-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #18
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

this weekend i might take it to my grandpas house and have him attempt to align it (he was a tech for chrysler for about 20 years). when i get new tires i will have it professionally aligned. just want to try to fix the pulling to the right as best i can for the time being. im suprised it doesnt vibrate at all while on the highway
Unread 12-02-2012, 09:11 AM   #19
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Last night I ordered a transmission pan gasket and a transmission filter. Gonna do a trans service on it within the next couple weeks. it leaks bad around the front of the gasket. my grandpa gave me the trans fluid for it

~~A few days later~~

Found my tranny parts sitting by my front door today, soaked by rain. Apparently, they were delivered 2 days ago (which was when we had a big storm), but UPS never sent me a tracking number, so I had no idea when they would show up. Good thing the filter was in a sealed plastic bag, and the gasket is rubber not cork
Unread 12-02-2012, 09:12 AM   #20
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Good News! in auto shop today they taught us how to mount and balance tires, so when i get tires for it eventually, i'll be able to save the cost of mounting and balancing by doing it myself!

In Other News...

did my tranny service today, rather painless. only cost me 14 bucks for the pan gasket and the filter from rockauto.com (my grandpa gave me the ATF for it, genuine mopar, leftover from when he was a tech!)

next thing will be the front CV boots and im going to change the differential fluids front and rear.
Unread 12-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #21
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

I figured the pan gasket on the transmission would fix the leak i had when it was parked on a slope. I was wrong. I backed it into my driveway today and when i came out an hour later there was a puddle
I think its leaking around where the fill tube goes into the tranny.

Also,
I'm seriously considering a transfer case swap from my NP249 to a NP242, that way i can run in 2WD on the street so im not wearing out tires like crazy.

Probably wont happen for a few months at least, gotta get together the cash for the new tcase and seals.
Unread 12-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #22
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Sweet score today guys! I went to the local Pick N Pull looking for a front bumper cap and left with a set of factory skid plates! I strategically positioned the skids in the wheelbarrow so the t case skid was kinda hidden (i couldnt get one bolt out so i had to by the whole crossmember) and the front end skid underneath the gas tank skid. They charged $22 for the crossmember (and they didnt see the t case skid ) and apparently they didnt see the front end skid either because i didnt get charged for it they ran the gas tank skid as "misc body parts" and it was only $9.99!! so with tax and everything i got a set of factory skids for $38!!

The two front bolts on the gas tank skid were super tight and rusted, and naturally, I forgot my breaker bar. However luckily someone had already pulled the rear axle, so the driveshaft was hanging there. i pulled it out of the back of the t case and the slip yoke end became the breaker bar!
Unread 12-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #23
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Then another snag. When the put the car on their "jack stands" which are two rims welded together, they pput one under the gas tank. so the skid was pinned. i used the trusty driveshaft and another jack stand and tipped the car up enough to pull the jack stand out.
this was my set up:

I stood on the end of the shaft and my dad pulled the stand out from under the skid. Mission Accomplished
Unread 12-02-2012, 09:18 AM   #24
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Well it never fails. turns out the trans isnt leaking from the dipstick tube seal, its leaking from the front pump. not looking foward to pulling the trans. for now im not driving it (wont be driving it full time til april when i get my license) so im just gonna check the fluid often and add when needed
Unread 12-02-2012, 09:19 AM   #25
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Decided to add some halogen reverse lights today.
Materials list:
Clear lense halogen lamps from harbor freight=$9.99
Ring connectors and butt splices=$.50
Bolts for the ring connectors=$.25
Misc. wire=$0 had it laying around
Time it took: start to finish it took about an hour.
Now for the pictures!

Unread 12-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #26
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Went to the JY again today, they got a new ZJ !!!
Fully loaded 97 limited, with UP COUNTRY!! Pulled the coils, someone got the shocks before me (damn it). also pulled one of the tow hook brackets for the front. Didnt get the driver side one because it was bent to hell. My theory is that i saw one of the bolts broken off, so im guessing someone tried to get them before me, broke a bolt, got p!$$ed, and tried to knock it off with a sledge. JY was closing as i was leaving, so they wanted to get me out. they only charged 80 for the set of coils. I got the bracket for free

also got a dipstick (my old one was bent to *****) for free and some body clips for my driver side cladding (i think one of the clips is broken, cladding flaps around if you pull on it slightly
Unread 12-02-2012, 09:22 AM   #27
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

put the springs in today, found out that someone decided to put upcountry springs in the front before i bought it??? the spring that came off my jeep and the one i pulled off the junkyard ZJ looked exactly the same, so I put a JY one on one side and left the other one original, then measured the JY side, 19 inches from center of wheel to edge of the fenderwell, then i measured the original side, 19 inches!! I read on here that with stock height non UC springs it should measure 18 inches... pulled the JY spring back out and took the front ones back to the JY since I didnt need them after all. front end still sits lower than the back so im going to get some 3/4" spacers to bring it up a little.

Went to another JY today, they had a 98 laredo with tow hooks so i took the driver side bracket i needed. they also had a 95 limited indentical to mine except it had a 4 liter instead of the 5.2. Pulled one of the wheels off it and dismounted the tire that was on it (what a ***** with regular screwdrivers!), so now i have a wheel for my full size spare when i get tires. also pulled a bumper cap thing off the rear bumper in the JY thinking it would fit my front bumper (mine is cracked) but of course its different . oh weeeellll, heres the pics!

Unread 12-02-2012, 09:25 AM   #28
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Pulling the front end apart to install the hooks

Nice:

Done:
Unread 12-02-2012, 09:25 AM   #29
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Just bought a NP242 transfer case! pulled it from a 1990 Jeep Cherokee. cost? $91. probably gonna start cleaning it up today. pics to come once my phone charges
Unread 12-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #30
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Heres the tcase after soap, water, and a wire brush

Drained the old fluid:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.