The "Dirty Nugget" build '01 WJ - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > The "Dirty Nugget" build '01 WJ

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Alloy USA and Posi-Lok Cable Axle Disconnect Kits Dana 30 Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 05-03-2013, 12:16 PM   #16
Kubota

Did u mount bushwackers already? I just got mine put on and totally love them! Very nice ride dude, post more pics

Kubota is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 03:53 AM   #17
ADragg
2003 WJ 

Sweet build thread I am waiting on the final piece to my Kolak lift (OME HD springs), but I will have a pretty similar lift and will be getting a pretty similar tire size (265/70/17). I have been torn between the ST Maxx that you have and the C rated Goodyear Duratracs. I'm sure they'd both be great but on one hand, you have the Dura's that are pretty light but some say they are weak in the sidewall, and on the other hand, the ST Maxx's are pretty much perfect and super strong, but might be heavier enough that I would get noticeably worse MPG's. I know I'm going to lose some mileage over stock with the bigger tires, but a selling point of the Duras is that I might lose less. I wish I knew the actual weight of the Maxx's but I really don't know how much difference they'd make being heavier. How much mileage have you lost since having stock tires on it? The other issue is that they might ride really rough being E rated. Do you think they're overly rough for a DD or do you think that with Bilstein shocks, it wouldn't be bad? I realize it's just your opinion. I really want the Maxx's because I know they'll last and be very strong and perform well, but I don't want to lose noticeably more mileage compared to Duratracs and I don't want a tire that's going to break my back. Probably overthinking it.
ADragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #18
mustangwarrior
2001 WJ 

No i havent got the flares on yet, with work and school i dont have much time but my last final is tonight so i should be getting them on within the next week or two

As far as the maxx tires, i was told 10 ply was all they had in that size, wasn't planning on that heavy but i figure they oughta hold up better off road, as far as being too rough for a dd, they're not bad, on the highway and country roads theyre smooth as can be, but i drive through a rough neighborhood to get to school and the city streets are real torn up, its rough but i've gotten used to it, lets me know im driving a jeep not a mini van

As far as mileage, last summer i was averaging mid 16 to low 18 mpg everyday driving, right not my odometer is off due to the change in tire size but with the incorrect mileage i average mid 14 to even 16 one time, i try to take the route with the fewest amount of stops when i drive, it actually cruises at a lower rpm with bigger tires, its the stop and go traffic that kills ya
Unread 05-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #19
mustangwarrior
2001 WJ 

last final is done, just need to finish one last project and i can finally have some much needed bonding time with the jeep!

oh, and i got what i believe was my first jeep wave from a lifted wrangler today, guess i've officially been accepted as a real jeep
Unread 05-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #20
mustangwarrior
2001 WJ 

so an update, got the jks disconnects on about a week ago but haven't had a chance to really flex it out yet

and was finally was able to finish up my flares this past weekend, a figure i had somewhere around 2.5 hours into each front fender and close to 6 hours into both rears, really was pretty easy to do, the instructions are super easy to follow and after you cut the first fender the second one is way easier

did have a few issues with mine, first, somehow i ended up short to of the T45 mounting screws on the rear. don't know of i lost them or if i was shorted so i need to find some replacements, the second was i was getting anxious to finish and ended up with a little too much gap on my passenger rear between the door and body pieces and the other was i cut all my splash guards out about two months ago when they were rubbing the tires, so now i need something to fill the gap on the fronts so mud doesn't get trapped being the flare

too much gap

Unread 05-23-2013, 04:07 AM   #21
Kubota

Looks nice! I have to paint my cladding black to make it match bushwackers...
Kubota is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #22
mustangwarrior
2001 WJ 

i think i'm gonna leave mine, they don't look too bad and sooner or later we're gonna build a tube bumper and maybe eventually a rear bumper
Unread 06-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #23
mustangwarrior
2001 WJ 

Finally got to take it out and finally test it on some trails, I'm pleased with the way it performed, however a locker would do wonders for it and include sliders and a skid plate and it ought to go wherever you point it, within reason that is, not bad for a soccer mom suv

here's a few pics from this weekend

my current wheeling partner

Unread 06-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #24
mustangwarrior
2001 WJ 

I also was able to get my addco sway on tonight, much beefier than the stock sway bar, not sure how it handles yet, will see after i get more of a chance to drive it

and for a cosmetic touch, i tinted the tail lights, not too dark but definitely noticeable, taped off the turn signal and reverse light and scuffed them with a green scotch pad, followed by about 6 or 7 coats of VHT night shades and 3 coats of clear

Unread 07-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #25
mustangwarrior
2001 WJ 

went back out to the off road park this weekend, long story short, we had a pretty interesting day and ended leaving early

coil spring retainers are now on the "To-Do" list, lost that coil completely later on in the day

Unread 07-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #26
ADragg
2003 WJ 

Looking good! That's some awesome flex, gives me high hopes for my OME/Bilstein setup which gave me almost 4", which I haven't really wheeled yet. Let us know how the Addco does. I want one for the road but I hear it limits flex really bad on the trail. Thought about rigging up some quick disconnects for it, but I also read that you want the rear connected for the trail because it's supposed to help a lot with keeping the vehicle level in off-camber situation. Kind of unsure but I think I'd really like to have it on-road.

By the way, I've seen some pictures of someone with the Bushwacker flares who used L-brackets to push out the top edge of the front bumper to make it flare out and meet the outer edge of the fender flares. Looked real good with the front bumper lining up with the flare.
Unread 07-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #27
mustangwarrior
2001 WJ 

thanks, yea i've seen them push the bumper out, the plan sooner or later is for a tube bumper

as far as the addco goes, i really didn't notice any difference, kinda of disappointed, it still floats all over the road, i'm used to it but i had a buddy drive me home one night, after too much drinking lol and he was all over the road

as far as flex goes, i never got out to see if it was any different but i did notice the rear tires weren't rubbing the top of the flares like they were before

IRO gives you extended rear sway bar links with the lift, maybe i need to put the stock links back on
Unread 07-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #28
mustangwarrior
2001 WJ 

installed the 12oclock labs speed calibrator from motomummy.com, thanks to theksmith for the write up, installtion was super easy, programming was super easy, it i was surprised it worked the first time, it went almost too easy, speedometer is right on with the gps, and now that my odometer is correct i will actually be able to see what kind of mileage i'm gettin out of this pig now
Unread 08-19-2013, 07:11 PM   #29
mustangwarrior
2001 WJ 

well i'm still in desperate need of some coil retainers but i went ahead and spent some money somewhere else, i bought a 30" led light bar from Seward off road, this thing is awesome!!

Unread 09-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #30
TJSWJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Looking good! I'm dyin to get back out to SIR or any wheeling spot for that matter. Where abouts NE Ohio are you from?
TJSWJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.