Thanks! And fear not, my ideas are free to be used. Preferrably with a little personal twist though IMO that's how we make things evolve on our hobby, look at other people's ideas and make something better out of it using our own
I broke the HP D30 - again. That piece of crap just obviously isn't up to the task withe 5.9, 4.56s and 32s... Eaton e-locker took a dump, r&p is ruined, carrier bearing caps are gone, housing has deep gouges, pass. side bearing cap mounting bolt hole threads are damaged and the end is crushed.
The cromo- shafts I installed past winter are ok, but the long side shaft is severly stuck inside the case, I need to cut the case into pieces so I can use a bottle jack to press out the shaft. Housing is ruined anyways, so I don't really give a crap of causing more damage to it. Time to build a HP D44/ D30 hybrid. Can't install a non- abs D44 or a wide track axle like a JK D44 to my Jeep due to local laws.
..suprise, ended up in a tooth fairy paying a visit:
I'd say that ring gear doesn't look right, does it?
This was right about the exact moment when the front said boom. I really don't get it - on 4lo, front locker engaged, not jumping, engine turning @1500rpm. What the hell, a full case locker broke right there!?
Any Updates on the front end? Just read through the thread and I am amazed and all I can say is wow! Alot of time put into this project and from your plans it sounds like it will be unstoppable soon enough!
2010 JKU - Stock for now
2005 WK - 6" lift, 35" BFG's, a lot more (SOLD)
Nothing done yeat, getting the parts first. It's not a quick build because of the current house- building project going on.. money is tight as you can guess
It will be a HP D44 with 3" x 3/8" wall tubes with a .250wall DIY truss (trying to save a couple of lbs of weight there with the thinner tubes), locked (eaton e- locker), gussed D30 inner Cs with the WJ knuckles & brakes/ OTK steering I've got on the turdy at the moment. I would've went with a Ford narrowed-to-stock-ZJ-width true HP D44 with rebuildable hubs, but the ABS system would be a pain to fit on those.. unfortunately it is needed here to keep my ZJ road- legal.
Still aquiring parts for the front axle, it's been a (very) slow progress..
In the meantime, I've installed a new VDO PM9069 e-fan motor after the original fan failed. Since it's been fairly cold here, I was able to drive to work and back without the e-fan functioning - only about a 10 mile drive with couple red lights and rest is 35-55mph flowing traffic. I had a slight issue with the power feed (supply connector to the e-fan circuit below the PDC had melted). Now it works perfect
My front hubs have steadily developed a grinding sound, eventually it was so bad I had to order new unit bearings. Gonna be installing them next week. If that wasn't enough, my starter motor failed I looked for a new one locally - a big no. Aftermarket new ones ranged between 199-289€ (that's ~270-400$ ); I saw that Rockauto was offering OEM Mopar starter motors on a closeout for 49€ + 51€ for Fedex 2-day guarantee express shipping. I'm getting it on Tuesday
I had to see what had failed on the old starter motor, since the solenoid was good. Aftermath of using brake cleaner to clean up all the crap
..and the obvious reason for the non-working starter; it had been pretty weak for the past year, one of the brushes was totally seized. One of the rest of the three was too short to properly touch, and some of the internal wiring below the brushes were VERY badly corroded.
Nothing big has been going on, I'm still gathering parts for the HP D44/ D30 hybrid. Actually, I'm pretty much at the starting point, trying to find suitably priced HP D44 center section out of a '78-'79 F250 on eBay from someone who is ready to ship it overseas. Not an easy task
In the meantime, I ordered a starter kit of Delphi Weatherpack connectors with the crimping tools. 75$ + overseas shipping, ended up costing me about 100$ + 24% VAT (= ~100€ i my currency). I'm pretty happy, those connectors are OEM quality and there are a lot of them.
I also pulled out my stock rear springs and the 1.75" BB blocks, and replaced with (used) stock ZJ I6 front coils. With the fairly heavy hitch and gas tank skid, I got about 2.5" of lift from the used coils. Pretty happy, now the rear sits at the same height as front with 1.75" BB blocks and modified axle coil buckets (they give me about .75" of lift).
1996 ZJ Green Laredo V8, 2.5" OME and Bilsteins, 33's, Holes drilled in the roof.
1998 ZJ Platinum Limited 5.9, Backyard parts fodder
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.