My Easter Jeep Safari was like this
In other words, with the 4- days off from work I've got some good time to work on the TC issues I have. I'm mating the 242 from my '90 XJ to the 249 from my ZJ.
249 has been making a grinding noise for quite some time now, I've been suspecting bearing failure. I changed the TC fluid about 4k miles ago, now that I drained it it was fairly red, but all metal-flaky. Weird thing is I didn't find anything obviously wrong with the 249 when I dismantled it. Chain was a bit stretched and "wiggly", but it hadn't made contact with the case and all the bearings etc. seemed to be fine.
I will use these from the 249:
* Front case half with the stationary planetary gear
* Input shaft + plantery gears for the 4wd
* Electronic speed sensor
* Mode switch
* Random other parts that are in better shape than with the 242
From the 242:
* Rear case half + tailhousing + main shaft
* Planetary gears for the 4 full time
* Chain sprockets; I'll be buying a new chain.
I will buy new input and output bearings; all other bearings were in very good condition so I'm not gonna start replacing them now.
My idea was to use the wider 1.25" chain & sprockets from the 249 to replace the narrower (7/8" or 1" whatever the chain is) ones on the 242. Problem is - even though the splines match on the main shafts - the wider sprocket cannot be used on the 242 because the lockring groove is covered by the thicker sprocket. Shame, since the wider chain would've been a lot more sturdy compared to the narrow chain on the 242.
249 unbolted from the ZJ:
242 (it's got a hack 'n tap SYE) with the 249 behind:
242 with the case split open, and some of the internal parts:
..this shows how big a difference there is between the sprockets on the 249 vs. 242: