Craig's WJ Mod Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Craig's WJ Mod Thread

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 10-14-2014, 11:40 PM   #1
sapperguy
2000 WJ 

Craig's WJ Mod Thread

So here's my story. I've always wanted a Grand Cherokee, so recently I sold my 04 F150 Lariat and bought a 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited. The intent was to sell my truck and buy something cheaper to pay off some bills. Thus far, the intent hasn't been met, but I'll get into that in a few. I'm calling it mod thread and not a build thread because I don't/won't have the time/money/know-how to do a proper build, but she will be my DD/hunting/fishing rig, so I do have some stuff I want to do to her. My list is as follows:
- Wiper blades
- License plate screws
- Oil and oil filter
- Trans flush and filter
- Spark plugs
- Power steering
- Brake rotors and pads
- Fuel filter
- Air filter
- Rhino line Rocker panels
- Plastidip wheels
- Vinyl wrap interior
- Rhino line Bumpers
- Interior leds
- Exterior leds
- Holster mount
- Sunglasses mount
- Floor mats
- Lift
- Tow straps
- Ammo boxes for storage
- Lots of stickers for extra HP (5HP per sticker right?)
- De-badge
- Rear seat mod
- Audio upgrade for bluetooth and either aux plug or music through bluetooth
- Replace dash speakers
and here she is

jeep1.jpg

Last edited by sapperguy; 10-16-2014 at 08:56 PM..
sapperguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2014, 11:51 PM   #2
sapperguy
2000 WJ 

So now the back story. Based on the pictures that the used car dealership put up on craigslist, she looked immaculate. He was asking $3800 and kbb was $3600 in excellent condition, so I thought I would be getting a really good deal. She has 162,xxx miles on her so I was assuming some wear, but the pics looked AMAZING!!! Upon seeing it in person, I found out that the dealer had done an amazing job editing the pictures since he was able to show none of the knicks, scratches, dents, messed up wheels, cut leather, or busted out recirculate button on the a/c, but I know jeeps can run for a long time (only 162,000 miles on her) but I still figured since he already had somebody trying to get a $3600 loan, I could talk him down and get a really good deal. I got her for $3400 so I thought I was making out despite the cosmetic damages. Turns out I was wrong. So far (I've had her for about 3 weeks) I've had to get new valve covers gaskets, new front crank seal, power steering pressure hose, air filter, and crankcase vent filter ($400) and a new radiator and hood latch cable ($450) and I now have her back at the house. The shop has had her longer than I have. At least today I got my masonic sticker on her, put a tank of gas in her, and put some Lucas Injector Cleaner in her. Hopefully this time I can keep her for a while and actually get some work done on her that I don't have to pay somebody else for. We shall see. Wish me luck and I will keep the thread updated as I go.
Unread 10-15-2014, 12:28 AM   #3
Midnight_Cobra
2002 WJ 

Looks good though. That's always why I'm weary of a abnormally clean car. It shouldn't be clean in some areas. They are just getting rid of evidence of leaks. I hope everything works out!
Unread 10-16-2014, 08:55 PM   #4
sapperguy
2000 WJ 

Got a steering wheel cover and some stickers on her. started to plastidip my badges today. the jeep on the front didn't look to bad from a distance, but i wasn't completely impressed with it up close due to the fuzzy edges. after doing the GC and 4X4 on the passenger side, i really wasn't impressed. decided to strip it and started de-badging. should have that done tomorrow.

20141015_171555.jpg

20141016_135634.jpg
Unread 10-27-2014, 08:08 PM   #5
sapperguy
2000 WJ 

Got the front bumper covered in bedliner. Taking it off wasn't hard since the idiots who worked on it at some point in time didn't put the pop rivets in the wheel wells. Add that to the list of things to buy...... Tomorrow will be either the side panels and/or the rear bumper. I have a feeling taking the rear bumper off isn't going to be fun.

20141027_175020.jpg

20141027_175036.jpg
Unread 10-28-2014, 09:28 PM   #6
sapperguy
2000 WJ 

Got the sides done today and picked up the fasteners for the front wheel wells. Going to try to tackle the rear bumper tomorrow. Since I want to take it off to do it, I'm sure it's going to be a royal pain.

20141028_171106.jpg

20141028_171118.jpg
Unread 10-30-2014, 08:56 AM   #7
sapperguy
2000 WJ 

Got the rear bumper off yesterday. Didn't break any clips (besides the black plastic fasteners which i picked up new at the local body shop) and only broke one plastic retainer tab for the big white clips, but did have one of the bolts snap in half on the side. Oh well. I think there are enough other fasteners there to hold it. The good idea fairy got the better of me though and I pulled the step pad off so I wouldn't have to tape it off and work around it. Not a horrible idea, but trying to get as much of the old glue off as I could wasn't exactly fun. It also called for another trip to O'reilly's to get some epoxy to put it back on. Also decided to try out some Wipe New on the step pad. I washed it in the tub and then wiped it down with mineral spirits once it was dry, but after putting the Wipe New on it, I found out that it wasn't as clean as I thought it was. Also, even though evenly applied, it definately doesn't have a uniform appearance, but I'm not that worried about it. Will re-assemble today and maybe start pulling the roof rack so i can re-paint it.

20141029_153923.jpg
Unread 10-30-2014, 09:05 AM   #8
wxmanWJ
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapperguy View Post
Got the rear bumper off yesterday. Didn't break any clips (besides the black plastic fasteners which i picked up new at the local body shop) and only broke one plastic retainer tab for the big white clips, but did have one of the bolts snap in half on the side. Oh well. I think there are enough other fasteners there to hold it. The good idea fairy got the better of me though and I pulled the step pad off so I wouldn't have to tape it off and work around it. Not a horrible idea, but trying to get as much of the old glue off as I could wasn't exactly fun. It also called for another trip to O'reilly's to get some epoxy to put it back on. Also decided to try out some Wipe New on the step pad. I washed it in the tub and then wiped it down with mineral spirits once it was dry, but after putting the Wipe New on it, I found out that it wasn't as clean as I thought it was. Also, even though evenly applied, it definately doesn't have a uniform appearance, but I'm not that worried about it. Will re-assemble today and maybe start pulling the roof rack so i can re-paint it.

Attachment 1680706
Can you take some up close pictures of the clips that gave you trouble? I've been hesitant of removing the rear bumper because I'm not 100% sure how all the clips work and which way to pull, etc...

Can't wait to see the roof rack removal and paint too, that's something I've been considering as well since mine is really faded. What do you plan on using to pain, Krylon Fusion or something else?
Unread 10-30-2014, 09:18 AM   #9
sapperguy
2000 WJ 

I'll get some pics today when I put her back together. As for the roof rack, I think I've read somewhere around here about using grill paint since it's high heat and pretty resilient. Thought about bedlining the outer surfaces of them, but I think it's going to be too much of a PITA to try to tape them off and definately don't want the bedliner in the rail channels.
Unread 10-30-2014, 08:44 PM   #10
sapperguy
2000 WJ 

Got the back bumper back on today. Also pulled the roof rack and wipe newed the plastic and bed lined the rails and cross members. Not sure how it's going to hold up, but we will see. I eventually want to get a basket for it. When I do, I will touch it up because it won't be moving anymore.
20141030_113815.jpg

20141030_153015.jpg

20141030_153020.jpg

20141030_153024.jpg

20141030_115209.jpg

20141030_172518.jpg

Unread 10-30-2014, 08:47 PM   #11
sapperguy
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxmanWJ View Post
Can you take some up close pictures of the clips that gave you trouble? I've been hesitant of removing the rear bumper because I'm not 100% sure how all the clips work and which way to pull, etc...

Can't wait to see the roof rack removal and paint too, that's something I've been considering as well since mine is really faded. What do you plan on using to pain, Krylon Fusion or something else?
Here are the pics of the fasteners and where they fasten. As you can see, on the drivers side, I snapped one of the metal screw fastener thingies off. Probably should've replaced it, but I figure there are enough other fasteners holding it together that it should be ok. Not to mention, when I tried to put it back on, I couldn't get those to grab, so I just hit the corner pretty hard and it snapped on. The white plastic fasteners on the bumper are the ones people talk about sliding in. They slide into the bumper and snap into the rectangular holes in the body.

20141030_101045.jpg

20141030_101049.jpg

20141030_101100.jpg

20141030_101054.jpg
Unread 01-18-2015, 08:17 AM   #12
sapperguy
2000 WJ 

So in the last 2 weeks I've changed the oil, oil filter, air filter and plugs. While doing that I found a power steering line that wasn't on all the way. The jeep has been leaking so when I found that I figured it was the culprit. Put it back on correctly and filled it back up. The next morning had a puddle of about the same amount of power steering fluid that had put in. Looks I will be revisiting that problem again. In the meantime I order bilstein 5100s, new isolators, and a 2in BB from Kolak. Once that goes on I'll be putting new shoes on her. Going with general grabber AT2's. Can't wait to get that set up on.
Unread 01-18-2015, 08:55 PM   #13
Mli2950
2004 WJ 

What size tires are you putting on with that 2" BB? I'm installing a 2" BB I got from Rough Country, but I was thinking about 245/75/16. Or maybe 265/75/16, but at that size trimming might be needed.

Also, are you ordering the 5100s because of the 2" BB? Ive heard stock shocks will be fine with a 2", but any larger and you will need new shocks.
Mli2950 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2015, 08:56 PM   #14
sapperguy
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mli2950 View Post
What size tires are you putting on with that 2" BB? I'm installing a 2" BB I got from Rough Country, but I was thinking about 245/75/16. Or maybe 265/75/16, but at that size trimming might be needed.

Also, are you ordering the 5100s because of the 2" BB? Ive heard stock shocks will be fine with a 2", but any larger and you will need new shocks.
I'm going to go with a 265/70/16. Hopefully won't need any trimming and it should still fit in the spare tub. I wanted to go with a 31 inch tire, but I don't have a roof basket or a spare tire holder to put it and don't want to lose my trunk space.
As for the shocks, I'm going with the 5100's because they're really good shocks and they're pretty much guaranteed for the life of the vehicle. I had them on the F150 I used to have and loved them.
Unread 01-21-2015, 08:58 PM   #15
sapperguy
2000 WJ 

Replaced the struts that hold the back open today. No more using prop rods to keep it open :-D

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.