CompCrasher's 01 WJ Ltd - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > CompCrasher's 01 WJ Ltd

Huge Soft top SaleSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 05-08-2011, 05:43 PM   #121
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Alright all of you in "What did you do to your WJ today" tempted me to do the fuel filter so I finally did. $30 purolator unit from AAP did the trick. Funny actually the rusty metal fitting gave me the least trouble. I used my panel trim tool as a crowbar and it did a godly job. Dumped a LOT of fuel all over myself though The female fitting on the filter next to the rusty metal one was hella easy too, Just squeezed the plastic tabs and wiggled it out. The last one on the other side was a royal pain and required me holding the tabs with needle noses and using a flathead as a pry bar against the needle nose. It took me a while. Anyways pics... Filter off:

and then the two side by side. The old one was original mopar one so after 100k miles I'd say it needed to be changed

And the new one went in amazing, the quick connect fittings clicked in firmly and I bolted it back up. While I was down here I also noticed one of my evap lines was almost completely disconnected... HMMM. Slipped it back on tight we'll see if my CEL dissapears.

The Jeep runs AMAZING now that I did this. My vibrations at idle are gone, the engine starts much faster, my idle is down to 650ish really smooth and quiet, and the throttle response is amazing! There used to be decent lag between pedal and rev but now its really responsive! Well worth $30. I cant make a big comment on mileage but so far my instant is showing 2mpg better doing 50. I'll tell for sure on my ride home in 2 weeks.

My Jeep is really becoming such a pleasure to drive I'm really happy with the way the whole vehicle feels right now, no complaints!

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2011, 12:03 PM   #122
WThorn
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86 View Post
Jeep is back home, it seems to behave much better on the gas I get here at home, weird. Here are some pics from the recent snow that prevented Jeep work for a couple days:

And another pic of my quad taillight mod, this is a good pic to show brightness:

The PO (grandma) was really messy and my shift gate blinds were sticking. Yeugh:

Then I failed emissions because the monitors weren't ready yet @!#$%^. Gotta do another drive cycle

While waiting for engine to cool I looked around for potential P0456 causes and found this little sucker:

Replaced for free with scrap hose from Vautozone

My puppy couldnt help but watch me working on the Jeep. Aw

And after the shift gates I decided it was time to shampoo the interior. Smells great and so much cleaner.

Also conditioned the leather and armor-alld the dash and door panels. Looks and smells great inside my WJ now!

Jeep looks good and appears to be coming along good. Can you elaborate on the "quad mod"? I've searched and found your build and I'm trying to do the small cheaper mods that I want right now while I decide what to do about suspension later.
Unread 05-12-2011, 05:24 PM   #123
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WThorn View Post
Jeep looks good and appears to be coming along good. Can you elaborate on the "quad mod"? I've searched and found your build and I'm trying to do the small cheaper mods that I want right now while I decide what to do about suspension later.
Thanks man, I appreciate the positive feedback. Thanks for reminding me I coulda sworn I did a writeup but I cant find it anywhere so I guess I didnt. I took a bunch of pics so I'll go through the process for ya.

In europe WJs are required to have rear fog lights. This design was implemented into all WJs and our American WJs just have a plastic covering over where the fogs would normally go. So we just buy bulb sockets and new bulbs from auto store, cut a hole, and mount the new light where the euro fog lights would normally go. When you wire them to the brake/tail lights with a dual filament bulb they act as a second set of brake and tail lights. They look unique (sets you apart from the other WJs) and in my eyes its a great safety improvement at night for visibility.

First you get you taillights out of your Jeep:

These are the sockets I bought from Autozone. I had to file down a weird tab that was on there. Then I added some wire loom to clean up the wires

Heres what it looks like with the bulb in:

Then use your sockets you buy to make a cutout template and trace it on the bottom of the taillight here:

Carefully cut the lines with a dremel tool

Firmly push the socket in and twist it till it locks in place or is secure

I believe the factory wiring is as follows but Im recalling this off the top of my head so im not positive (bad pun I know) black is ground, white and tan is brake +, and Im pretty sure black and orange is tail +

your socket you buy may vary I thiiink mine was black-gnd, brown-tail, yellow-brake.

Annnnd voila

mesanwhile.. I've fixed my front bumper cover, it fits up to the fender nice and tight with my new clip in the right hole

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
Unread 05-13-2011, 12:19 AM   #124
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

One of these days I will get to the tail light mod, I like the way it looks.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2011, 08:10 PM   #125
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Got a lot done on my Jeep now that I'm home. My dads never helped out with a Jeep project before but he was pretty involved with this one. Using all the right tools and no instructions, I got my lift kit on . 2" Daystar completely transformed the way my Jeep looks. Pics to come once I load them off my phone.

I also snagged a 10 disc factory changer today at the junkyard. I'm not quite sure why I bought it, I kinda wanted it and also figured if I needed to I could resell it to someone here on JF. The wiring harness was a complete and utter total pain in the BUTT. I tried to get as much wiring as I could but it was all tied up in the factory wires. long story short I ended up botching one together with cat5 wiring and tin foil for shielding and I'm not happy with the results. Everything powers up and works great but I'm going to go and spend some more time at the junkyard painstakingly pulling all the wiring

Matt
Unread 06-07-2011, 11:36 AM   #126
snobrdrkid07
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Saw the pics on "What did you do..." about the wax/polish! Looks AWESOME! I just waxed mine the other day and it is so smooth and looks great!
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2011, 11:59 AM   #127
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks man, yeah the thing looks like mint condition right now I'm really excited to see the paints in good shape. I spent a good 20-30 minutes with the claybar on each of the rocker plastic panels

Matt
Unread 06-07-2011, 12:01 PM   #128
snobrdrkid07
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86 View Post
Thanks man, yeah the thing looks like mint condition right now I'm really excited to see the paints in good shape. I spent a good 20-30 minutes with the claybar on each of the rocker plastic panels
I REALLY wish I would have claybar'd before I just did my wax.... Oh well. haha

I still have those dang water spots that I have to get rid of still
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2011, 10:30 PM   #129
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

So I got a bit done in the past couple of weeks, I just bought an old Mako that I've finished restoring just yesterday so that has been sucking up most of my time and money lately. My homemade cd changer cable wasnt cutting it, when the engine was on occasionally i'd get some crappy efi and such, so I went back to the yard and wire by wire pulled ALL of the harness for the changer, PCI bus tap needed to be made in passenger footwell,

Modified the ashtray trim like so...

To fit in my new cobra 19 I snagged at wal-mart of all places on the CHEAP!

Did some dremeling to my steering wheel/cluster trim

To fit my new contura rocker switches. Perfect location, best I could find, feels very natural to use them. One is a kill for my radar scanner (gets annoying) and the other is for my CB. I'm going to add more eventually as I get more accessories.

I also made this uh-oh

taking off this guy

Jeep rides much better with rear bar off. Needs extended rear links and an addco before I'll put it back on

Oh yeah, and I made some bacon:

Matt
Unread 06-28-2011, 10:42 PM   #130
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

just realized I didnt post any pics after lift, weird?!

Here are a couple exterior shots

After claybar, polish, and wax:

Matt
Unread 07-01-2011, 08:52 AM   #131
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Mmm.... Bacon.... Now get some bigger tires on there!
comptiger5000 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2011, 01:48 PM   #132
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

<3 Bacon... Im broke right now, plus I want the Bilsteins before the tires

Matt
Unread 07-06-2011, 01:53 PM   #133
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Found some pics on my phone from the lift install:

dropping the front spring

closeup

oh noes, where did the wheels go

using a jack and my foot I was able to bring the axle down enough to slip the spacer in

YAY!

this is how I had to undo the shock, it was a complete pain in the royal butt

My racing Jack made childs play of this job

lift done

those are all the pics of the lift I could find, I didnt take as many as I wanted to, oops oh well.

Matt
Unread 07-06-2011, 02:00 PM   #134
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Oh and heres some pics of my sub amp install

in the engine bay wiring goes up to this grommet

runs across underneath front hood cowling

goes through grommet at other side which drops it behind the ecu

where its then easily routed to the battery

Wires run

Ground to seat bracket

where I tapped factory wiring

my tool of choice for... adjusting, the seat area

what it was

what I made it

how everything looks connected. clean and sleek

Matt
Unread 07-07-2011, 07:56 AM   #135
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Nice! At least your front shock bolts are placed better than mine (one next to the coolant bottle, one under the master cylinder)!

Just don't try changing shocks in a parking lot without any jacks, etc, and you'll be good (takes forever).
comptiger5000 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.