CompCrasher's 01 WJ Ltd - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > CompCrasher's 01 WJ Ltd

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 02-02-2011, 07:25 PM   #76
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smunns View Post
What brand and size is the battery? Have you had it tested?
Group 34 Interstate battery rated at 700CCA. Whoever put it in for my grandma was an idiot and used a ZJ battery. I'm very upset because it is smaller and also does not latch down so its free to bounce around. Haven't had it tested, I visually inspected fluid levels before we messed with it to make sure nothing was frozen. Fluid levels are good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993ZJ View Post
just because its new doesnt mean it isn't a bad battery. I went through 3 brand new duralast golds (on free replacement of course) before i got a good one. The the first ones i couldnt let it sit more than 3-4 days in decent fall weather with out it being shot. With the good batt i have now i left it sit untouched through the entire month of Dec and it started right up first crank when i got in it. I'd take the battery autozone or someplace that will load test it for you
I'm starting to think this might be the problem because my XJ with the same battery bought from the same place at the same time just died abruptly last week.

I have started a thread on it earlier latest updates here:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/.../#post10905524

In a nutshell we jumped it, it started, so after testing the battery its pulling about 160mA with engine, lights, and everything off including underhood light. This is with alarm unarmed. Its been very very cold here lately, single digits

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2011, 09:28 PM   #77
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Okay... did some more research... 160mA draw is unacceptable, something is definately wrong. Battery is disconnected right now but I found a great thread (related to ZJs but close enough) that will help me trace down the problem. This is the first electrical gremlin I've ever chased (yay!) and hopefully it will be the last. I'm going in tomorrow dual wielding multimeters at 1400 hours, wish me luck

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
Unread 02-02-2011, 10:52 PM   #78
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Have you tested the output of your alternator? I know mine was weak earlier this year. It turned out to be my fuel pump causing my starting problems, but the alt was only outputting enough to keep the battery charged if no accessories were drawing current. So if the headlights were on, it wasn't producing enough to power the headlights and recharge the battery.

It's been negative digits here lately, and I have been able to start every time. This morning when it was -3 it wasn't exactly easy, but she did start up. I don't think the 4.0 likes negative temps. Good luck with your electrical woes. Darn but these Jeeps have them...

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2011, 11:02 PM   #79
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah I'm going to check the alternator when I get the battery replaced. It was reading a solid 14v tonight while driving with headlights, stereo, HVAC, rear defroster, and wipers on though so it seems to be just fine.

I definitely think the parasitic draw is the main issue and I will diagnose and fix that one first. If anybody has suggestions of things to check first I appreciate it

Edit: I'm extremely motivated to go check out the current draw situation haha. If it weren't for my roommate knocking some rational sense into me, I'd probably be out there right now probing fuse sockets in freezing cold weather. That and Campus Safety would be quite concerned what I was doing in the engine bay/steering collumn at 2am lol. I'm going to check it out tomorrow and see whats up, I'll keep you guys upated

Matt
Unread 02-04-2011, 12:26 AM   #80
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Okay, Im posting all of the info on my current draw situation over on the separate threa because its gotten way outta control and is much more involved than I can spam up my own build thread with.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/.../#post10905524

I'm getting myself mentally prepared to accept that the BCM could be shot. I'm really unhappy about having to replace a module that big but I found out they are not too expensive and actually come out VERY easy with only 4 torx screws and 2 wiring harnesses, I dont even have to pull any trim panels either, thats a plus.

Matt
Unread 02-12-2011, 01:38 AM   #81
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Updates:

Today I did some cruising, took my WJ faster than I've ever driven it before and I must say it handles great on the highway for a Jeep. I also pulled a "oooh looks like fun!" move and tried to bomb over a snow bank. Long story short snow had filled the ditch on the side of the road so I kinda nose-dived the front end and high-centered on the crossmember. just a light tug from a chevy truck and I was out, I was barely stuck enough not to get out on my own power.

While at the junkyard I found an exact part number match for my BCM and it was cheap YAY! I also found something freaking awesome. 01 4.7WJ laredo with quadradrive... AND FULL UPCOUNTRY! Yeah I got really excited when I saw that I'm going back to snag the skids this week. If I only could grab one do you guys think I should grab the transcase skid or the front skid? Also, for the front skid, are the bolt threads already on my WJ?! I think I also found a rear hitch too. This yard wants $20/skid and $35 for hitch. SCORE! This spring when the snow subsides I think I'm going to grab the suspension too Upcountry ftw. I'm considering grabbing the axles but I really have nowhere to store them until next year. Yard wants $200/axle. Good deal if you ask me!

Matt
Unread 02-13-2011, 12:11 AM   #82
gqmdl0617
2000 WJ 

Hey man that's a sweet deal you found. Any chance the jeep has tow hooks? If so, do you think you could grab them for me? I'll pay you for your time.
gqmdl0617 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2011, 12:24 AM   #83
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqmdl0617
Hey man that's a sweet deal you found. Any chance the jeep has tow hooks? If so, do you think you could grab them for me? I'll pay you for your time.
Yuppp it's got tow hooks, they're all yours! the thing is completely buried right now so once the snow melts down a little bit I can pull the bumper off and grab the hooks for you, I think they'll give me a good deal this yard seems very reasonable. If I don't PM you by next wednesday send me a PM. I think I'm going back tuesday though.

I can either ship them to you, but alternatively I'll be going right by Hopkinton on my way home on the 24th, if you're around and can meet me close off of i90, you don't have to pay shipping. Looks like I could get off and drive down 495 to where it meets 135. That wouldnt be out of my way at all. Whatever works best for you

Matt
Unread 02-13-2011, 01:34 AM   #84
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

I'd get the transfer case skid. My front UC skid barely looks used while my transfer case one is beat to hell.

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2011, 01:36 AM   #85
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Alright, maybe you guys can tell me based on these pics I took (yeah they're already off the WJ how nice is that?) but I think somethings wrong with the transcase skid. How does it mount up?

Looks like there are bolts snapped off in here

The front skid is in amazing shape all the "rust" you see is actually just debris and oil, its actually in mint condition. and wipes clean.

PS as a side note, I fixed my WJs electrical draw. Had it remeasured at AAP and their really high end gear said I had a 60mA drain. PIE adaptor was drawing 28mA and something was up between the cluster and the BCM which was keeping the cluster awake drawing 27mA so new BCM fixed that. I pulled the PIE and if I dont hear back from tech support I am redesigning it to only use ignition switched power. It has no business doing anything with unswitched power.

Matt
Unread 02-16-2011, 12:07 AM   #86
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

^ I picked up the above pictured skids, $15 each so it was a good deal! I grabbed a bunch of bolts hanging out in the interior that I thought were the right ones, we'll have to see... I think I need to get those bolts out that are in the transcase skid. Oh, and my Jeep reeks of PB blaster now because they're sitting in the back until I install them lol

Matt
Unread 02-16-2011, 07:26 AM   #87
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

On the transfer case skid, the two holes at the top of the picture mount to the "frame" while the holes on the right side of the picture mount to the crossmember. I believe you also need nutserts for the skid to mount to the "frame".

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2011, 08:02 AM   #88
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Alright, I'll have to look into those nutserts, hopefully its something I can grab from fastenal or cheap online...

Matt
Unread 02-16-2011, 06:19 PM   #89
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Got the front skid on today! It was a royal pain. Some idiot put rosebud plastic trim fasteners into the bolt holes for the front skid. Had to rip them apart and punch them through with a screwdriver and a couple hits from a hammer. Then I couldnt maneuver the skid into place properly so I had to pull off the front bumper AND some little piece of sheet metal from the lower radiator support. Finally got it on and the bolts were creaking like all hell and were a royal pain to get in even doused in WD-40 and anti-seize. Its all on now and back together and it actually is pretty cool, I feel much better hitting something on the front end.

I need to get the nutserts for the trans skid and find a way to get the seized bolts out of the transcase skid so I can get that on too

Matt
Unread 02-18-2011, 02:52 PM   #90
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Went to go replace my plugs but the old ones were fine, gap too tight. Fixed gap and Jeep starts and responds better. On my test drive I looked down and noticed my CEL was on. P0456 !@#$%^&*()(*&^%$#@. It was kinda coincidental it happened right after I pulled the coil rail and the plugs, anybody know what I may have hit or where I should look now? Gas cap is brand new and fixed the p0456 for a couple weeks

Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.