Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

CompCrasher's 01 WJ Ltd

160K views 3K replies 64 participants last post by  compcrasher86 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I neglected doing this on my XJ so I want to start an in-depth build thread on my 01 WJ Limited.

It has around 107k miles on it right now, its always been maintained well and was completely inspected before it was given to me. Mechanic who used to do all the maintenance told me its in great shape. I'll be doing all fluid changes and any maintenance from this point on :D

Here comes some stock info!
(All the stuff limiteds come with EXCEPT heated seats)
Stone White Exterior
Sandstone Leather Interior
4.0L i6
Quadratrac-2 (NP247)
Rear D35 Front D30 geared with 3.55's
235/65/17 Michelin AT's on Silverblades
Factory/dealer applied protective undercoating
Aftermarket Remote Starter

Stock pictures:
Front:

Rear End:

Interior:

New Keys side by side with my XJ's :)

It was just recently transferred into my name right after I left for college so I wont be able to touch it until november :rolleyes:

Mods I'm doing right away are as follows:
Got myself tow hooks from a junkyard up here, I'm happy to have recovery points now:

Got a PIE aux in adaptor and then bought a dock connector --> 12v+RCA. I had to get one with a 5v transformer built in because I have an iphone and it only charges off of 5. This is a nice one plug solution and will charge and play iPods through the factory stereo. (Get to keep my steering wheel controls :highfive:)

For audio I've resealed a set of WJ infinity tweeters because the ones in my WJ are blown.
Edit: See post below, new tweeters instead.

Heres the sub setup that I built in my XJ, I'm ditching the trunk box and putting the subs+amp in the WJ. Amp is going under the rear drivers side seat with a little crossmember hacking ;) They're not for showing off (even though they can) I was sure my Polk Amp I bought had remote level control because I'm an audiophile and I tune it on the go to sound the best. I love good quality sound.

Repairs so far:

Side mirror autodim failed and leaked fluid between the panes, replaced that
Flasher module failed, pulled it apart and soldered the contacts again (works great)
Auto Climate Control blend doors fixed at dealer under extended warranty
Auto climate control knobs got stuck for whatever reason, pulled unit apart and cleaned a bunch of sticky iced tea out of it (not sure how it got there

Planned mods:
2" Rusty's BB
Bigger Tires
242 Swap
Westin Safari Light Bar (the low one because it mounts to the front skid holes not the tow hook holes) w/ 2x Hella 500ff's running 100w

See less See more
#1,846 ·
04Overland47 said:
Nice! Looks great man. Just takes one can to do both of them?
Here's another I just took. Took me one green scotchbrite pad and mineral spirits for prep work and then once can of duplicolor truck bed liner spray can (it's a bit taller than a normal can) and that got me 4-5 coats (first one was lighter) and they look awesome. Thanks for subbing man :)

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Attachments

#1,848 ·
So my brakes are acting up a bit again... they work perfectly fine and everything but I've been pretty pissed off with the squealing lately its been loud enough to make you cringe a little bit coming up to stoplights (its only with a certain amount of force at slower speeds coming to a stop) and then I also noticed alot of my rear "suspension" noise went away while I was holding the brakes... so now I'm thinking the clattering and clanking is coming from the brakes... have a listen, I have to crank my volume real loud to hear it in this video but normal driving its VERY noticeable specifically with the windows down.

It is also much like a noise I heard last year while driving down a dirt road... I'm in the process of restoring the original audio and erasing the overlayed music on youtube but will post that up soon. Weird because I've had my rear brakes apart several times over the past year and nothing standed out as being loose. Anybody have similar experiences? My rear A-arm creaking has also seemed to have dissapeared since removing my bumpers (odd) but I am currently still planning on purchasing the IRO arm, but I may wait till I've moved into my new apartment so there are no shipping complications.

#1,849 ·
PREPARE FOR SECRET PLAN GO-AGATE.

I've decided I need to keep my Jeep for a while so I will now commence converting the interior over to agate.. its amazing what the little things can do but when I made the interior of the XJ how I liked it I was 100x happier. SO, I'm starting with the big hitters... found a limited WJ with agate interior at my local yard and I'm hitting up the dash pad today/tomorrrow. carpet is flooded so I might let that one stay.

If anybody has tackled the dash pad before any tips would be awesome I'm assuming I pretty much need to find all the little trim screws and it lifts off?

here is my reference and here is my goal:

#1,851 ·
So, the interior... lets run down a list.
-Dash - Check
-Windshield Trim - Check
-Glove Box - check
-Seats
-Center Console
-4 Door Panels
-Steering wheel
-Cluster bezel trim
-Carpet
-A Pillars
-D Pillars
-Trunk Trim peices

I'd Start hitting that Agate WJ hard! hahaha

#1,852 ·
Actually the front was really the best part of this wj there were a lot of broken trim panels. But I'll start doing it piece by piece. I'm considering seein how a two-tone looks until I can obtain all the agate parts. I also have a set of front WJ agate seats already left over from my XJ :D

#1,853 ·
Dude, I wonder how a two tone look would... look. Haha. Hmmmm

#1,855 ·
I'd love to get some overland seats! I'd love to get leather, haha.

If matt would sell me his sandstone seats, I'd spray paint them grey for my jeep. *sarcasm alert*

#1,856 ·
So here are some pics... I considered two tone dash but then decided I didn't like it all that much so went to full black. Looks good... I have some agate wj leather in the XJ I'm going to try out. Only thing is theyre laredo and dont have power recline so im trying to figure out how hard it would be to swap the electric recline over (cus i guarantee memory seat module will get pissed off. What I definitely need now is a new steering wheel though... Problem is I need to be able to get the cover off the airbag because the guy at the junkyard can't sell me an airbag.

Attachments

#1,857 ·
and yes I know I missed the cowling around the steering wheel and the a-pillar trim... going back in a couple days to grab because I didnt have my torx bits on me. They ALSO have a (RBZ?) factory stereo with 3-band equalizer. I would LOVE to have that so I might grab it, only thing is it doesnt have integrated CD player and I dont have my changer attached (PIE ipod is attached) so I virtually will not be able to play CDs in my Jeep, wondering if its worth it. and yes yes I haven't forgotten about fixing the Jeep, I had to make a tuition payment on my own so that kiiiiiinda set me back a bit on my repairs (A-arm, ball joints, and power steering pump). Parents promised they'd pay me back for the tuition so we'll see what happens... after tweaking around with tire pressures and tightening down some bolts my Jeep is behaving quite well.... Newest issue however that has shown up... when reversing just after startup my Jeep now likes to idle down to ~400rpm and almost stalls (power steering goes weak and lights dim). This oughta be a fun one to diagnose. Its been doing this ever since I did that darn air box mod :(

#1,858 ·
The two-tone in the first pic would look good with black or two-tone seats. My dad's charger was like that, top part of the dash was black and all of the center console, but the lower part and headliner were beige. Play around with it and see. Also, go for an Overland steering wheel :D haha

#1,859 ·
As for the idle...TPS, IAC, Clean throttle body..all typical idle things. Although mine idled down to about 400 at stop lights, replaced the TPS and cleaned the throttle body but didn't help. But when i set it in performance tune with superchips it corrected it...idles back at 600...

#1,860 ·
04Overland47 said:
The two-tone in the first pic would look good with black or two-tone seats. My dad's charger was like that, top part of the dash was black and all of the center console, but the lower part and headliner were beige. Play around with it and see. Also, go for an Overland steering wheel :D haha
You better believe if I can get my hands on one of those ill be happier than a little kid in Disneyland. Literally I LOVE the wooden portion on the overland wheels the regular leather wrapped wheels after 11 years don't look so hot. Im going to look into the steering wheel dealio and see what's up with that if I can confirm that the front vinyl part over the airbag can be removed without damaging the airbag mechanism I will be golden and grab the wheel from the parts Jeep (because it was in great shape) I'm just very hesitant because after the cluster change I no longer am updated about any problems with the airbag system so I don't wanna piss it off at all

#1,861 ·
I do like the pictures, makes it look pretty dang nice in agate! Once you go, oh, probably shouldn't say that. But, anyways, ehhhhh, that blows with that idle issue, I promise my Jeep has not had that issue with the air-box mod. I am thinking that there is almost NO way that can be related... I would not see how.

Is that your mom in the background, thinking, "what the heck is he doing to the Jeep now?!" Cause I know my mom would be saying that! haha

#1,862 ·
snobrdrkid07 said:
I do like the pictures, makes it look pretty dang nice in agate! Once you go, oh, probably shouldn't say that. But, anyways, ehhhhh, that blows with that idle issue, I promise my Jeep has not had that issue with the air-box mod. I am thinking that there is almost NO way that can be related... I would not see how.

Is that your mom in the background, thinking, "what the heck is he doing to the Jeep now?!" Cause I know my mom would be saying that! haha
Love the color, I was happy to get agate and not the grey... But I totally understand why they switched over and got rid of agate... Just the heat off the dash alone is like WHOAHHHHH in the sun. Whatever 100% worth it. I think I'm going to run some fuel injector cleaner and new sparks... You know this also happened after I cleaned out my ccv and pcv... Idk I'll look into it. And no that's my best friend haha he has a 05 WK Hemi with 33s. Oh and here are some better daytime pics. IM going to trial run my XJ seats tonight and I'll pick up the a-pillar trim and maybe the steering wheel tomorrow. Somebody bought my XJ tweeters for $80 so I have some cash I don't mind playing with.

Attachments

#1,864 ·
yeah It lifts in and out as one piece its pretty cool... such a quick mod that made a world of difference... home from work now so I'm going to go ahead and try out those agate leather seats

#1,865 ·
Gator don't mess around here. Matt, you like agate over gray? I know you'd take either over sandstone though.

#1,866 ·
Hate to say it but yeah for me Agate > Grey. But you're right ANYTHING, even that weird Taupe color, is better than sandstone I felt like a soccer mom or something with my white and tan WJ.

here is the objective minius the seats:

and here are the seats I'm putting in... they're in amazing condition too... just gotta work out the power options

#1,871 ·
That looks like crap. (In one of those sarcastic tones)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.