Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

CompCrasher's 01 WJ Ltd

160K views 3K replies 64 participants last post by  compcrasher86 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I neglected doing this on my XJ so I want to start an in-depth build thread on my 01 WJ Limited.

It has around 107k miles on it right now, its always been maintained well and was completely inspected before it was given to me. Mechanic who used to do all the maintenance told me its in great shape. I'll be doing all fluid changes and any maintenance from this point on :D

Here comes some stock info!
(All the stuff limiteds come with EXCEPT heated seats)
Stone White Exterior
Sandstone Leather Interior
4.0L i6
Quadratrac-2 (NP247)
Rear D35 Front D30 geared with 3.55's
235/65/17 Michelin AT's on Silverblades
Factory/dealer applied protective undercoating
Aftermarket Remote Starter

Stock pictures:
Front:

Rear End:

Interior:

New Keys side by side with my XJ's :)

It was just recently transferred into my name right after I left for college so I wont be able to touch it until november :rolleyes:

Mods I'm doing right away are as follows:
Got myself tow hooks from a junkyard up here, I'm happy to have recovery points now:

Got a PIE aux in adaptor and then bought a dock connector --> 12v+RCA. I had to get one with a 5v transformer built in because I have an iphone and it only charges off of 5. This is a nice one plug solution and will charge and play iPods through the factory stereo. (Get to keep my steering wheel controls :highfive:)

For audio I've resealed a set of WJ infinity tweeters because the ones in my WJ are blown.
Edit: See post below, new tweeters instead.

Heres the sub setup that I built in my XJ, I'm ditching the trunk box and putting the subs+amp in the WJ. Amp is going under the rear drivers side seat with a little crossmember hacking ;) They're not for showing off (even though they can) I was sure my Polk Amp I bought had remote level control because I'm an audiophile and I tune it on the go to sound the best. I love good quality sound.

Repairs so far:

Side mirror autodim failed and leaked fluid between the panes, replaced that
Flasher module failed, pulled it apart and soldered the contacts again (works great)
Auto Climate Control blend doors fixed at dealer under extended warranty
Auto climate control knobs got stuck for whatever reason, pulled unit apart and cleaned a bunch of sticky iced tea out of it (not sure how it got there

Planned mods:
2" Rusty's BB
Bigger Tires
242 Swap
Westin Safari Light Bar (the low one because it mounts to the front skid holes not the tow hook holes) w/ 2x Hella 500ff's running 100w

See less See more
#1,819 ·
My jeep sat patiently in the parking lot while I went through hell tonight. Sure it's not about my jeep but it's about 'a jeep'. Buddy has an 05 WK hemi pretty tricked out all the goodies and more, and he had a couple drinks and realized he had to drop some keys off at work, so I drive him in his Jeep... On the way back I hear the Evic pinging check gauges comes on and low and behold temp gauge is pegged, not sure how I missed that. So we pulled off and she was smokin everywhere. Turns out the upper rad hose tore... Now why did it tear? Because the Jeep dealership thought this was an appropriate method of running a coolant hose when they put his Jeep back together after the 90k tuneup 30 or so miles ago. We'll see what they say tomorrow.

And then I got back to my jeep just 20 minutes ago and she ran like a champ thankfully. Hemi sure takes a lot less skinny pedal to move though haha even with his ARB and 32's. My rear drivers door is making that DAMN Stupid squeaky yeuch. Overtired so forgive any mistakes

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Attachments

#1,820 ·
Wow, that's so stupid. Way to go Jeep Dealership for being retarded.

#1,821 ·
So while my oil drains figured I'd pop both of these guys out of the valve cover. Both are same color, identical form factor and look identical inside, completely hollow plastic elbows. The back has Chrysler Part number 53030497 and the front says 6047079 755 China. They came out easily and were pretty clean inside but had some gunk around the gasket as seen in the pics. Im not too worried looks like just wet oil from a wet engine bay but isnt one supposed to be the PCV valve or something?

Attachments

#1,822 ·
#1,823 ·
I'm calling IRO today about the rear A-arm im interested but I do not any more clunks and creaks so I want to make sure that's not inherent with their design

#1,825 ·
Bump for more info on tha IRO a-arm. I am sick of my stock trash a-arm

#1,826 ·
Alright.... here is what I found out about the IRO A-Arm. The guys over there are really friendly too and in my previous experience my sway bar links from them were pure beef. The design is overall much better with the IRO arm. the 1-1/4" tubing is beefier than the molded thin sheet metal arm that the factory uses, because there are less welds and crevices its less prone to rust, theres a cool gusset plate that says IRO on it, the rebuildable and GREASABLE (yes!) flex joint replaces the ball joint (due to the amount of lateral force on the factory ball joint design hitting bumps and such its going to fail eventually), it is rediculously easier to remove if I ever need to (arm doesnt cover the axle bolts like stock), on the body side they use bushings instead of flex joints to keep comfort and transmit less bumps, and the bushings are designed/angled? for lifted Jeeps. I kinda really really want it its going to be $330 shipped to my door. Does anyone know if IRO does a JF discount? I'm like on the edge of buying it but wouldnt mind a little push :p

Oh and regarding the two elbows... the rear one is supposed to have a pinhole-sized vent in it... interesstinnnggggg...

lastly... reccomendation brand name for replacement belt tensioner and belt? I got more than I was expecting on my last paycheck so its time for some maint-en-ance!

#1,827 ·
That's great info thanks man. As soon as I get my front end taken care of and all tightened up, I think ill get it too :)

#1,828 ·
Alllriiight. So I finally got all the pieces of the mopar sub box from my buddy, I'm wondering what I should do... If I just slap a decently powerful 8 in there it's going to just rip itself out of the plastic... Hmmm. I've never fiberglassed before but I have awesome access to supplies at a decent price. I'm also looking at aftermarket headunits as much as I hate to and don't want to I really don't have much crossover ability with the factory headunit. Ugh. Wait... I'm supposed to be fixing an A-arm lol!

#1,831 ·
I have always thought about getting the RB1 nav unit and making it work with all my amps. But it simply does not have the RCA outputs that I need. So I had to settle for a very high end single DIN Kenwood eXcelon radio. Future plans are getting a Kenwood 9990HD radio. Anyways, I digress, if you get a nice head unit, you will have an expansive amount of options for cross overs etc. Now, all my cross overs are set on the amps. While i'll admit it is not as clean looking as factory but never the less, it is a trade off. AS for the sub box, some wood bracing on the inside glasses over and the reinforcing the rim with a chunk of wood should def help. I don't know how much you expect to pump through there though.

While Dad and I were under the Jeep I showed him the a-arm and he said, "oh, that looks pretty cool" :p

#1,832 ·
Painted the overland sliders. Duplicolor Bedliner turned out amazing.

Attachments

#1,833 ·
Drying now 3-4 coats did me over for 1 can

Attachments

#1,834 ·
I'll give you $500 cash for them.

#1,835 ·
Now probably isn't a good time to say I got em for ~$150 lol. I can also think of a million different ways you could better spend $500 than overland sliders.

#1,836 ·
Haha, oh wow that was a good deal. I think I'd spend 500 on another set of tires.

#1,838 ·
wj4play said:
maybe track bar :dunno: :rofl:
;) the KOR track bar bushings are on their way to me now.

#1,840 ·
Just found 6 brand new RC12ECC spark plugs. Gapped em up and I'm going to go toss em in my Jeep

Attachments

#1,841 ·
Are those copper plugs?

#1,842 ·
yupppp. straight champion coppers. I tried the irdium crap in my XJ a while back and it was an utter disaster... others have had similar results with the 4.0 so coppers it is!

#1,843 ·
Figured it's time to subscribe to the thread lol. Could you possible post pics of your WJ from the side? Want to see how the painted Overland rock rails look...mine are sun faded so I'm thinking of painting them black as well.

#1,844 ·
These are some I have on my phone I'll take some good pictures later these do no justice. It's the texture that really does it

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.