Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

CompCrasher's 01 WJ Ltd

160K views 3K replies 64 participants last post by  compcrasher86 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I neglected doing this on my XJ so I want to start an in-depth build thread on my 01 WJ Limited.

It has around 107k miles on it right now, its always been maintained well and was completely inspected before it was given to me. Mechanic who used to do all the maintenance told me its in great shape. I'll be doing all fluid changes and any maintenance from this point on :D

Here comes some stock info!
(All the stuff limiteds come with EXCEPT heated seats)
Stone White Exterior
Sandstone Leather Interior
4.0L i6
Quadratrac-2 (NP247)
Rear D35 Front D30 geared with 3.55's
235/65/17 Michelin AT's on Silverblades
Factory/dealer applied protective undercoating
Aftermarket Remote Starter

Stock pictures:
Front:

Rear End:

Interior:

New Keys side by side with my XJ's :)

It was just recently transferred into my name right after I left for college so I wont be able to touch it until november :rolleyes:

Mods I'm doing right away are as follows:
Got myself tow hooks from a junkyard up here, I'm happy to have recovery points now:

Got a PIE aux in adaptor and then bought a dock connector --> 12v+RCA. I had to get one with a 5v transformer built in because I have an iphone and it only charges off of 5. This is a nice one plug solution and will charge and play iPods through the factory stereo. (Get to keep my steering wheel controls :highfive:)

For audio I've resealed a set of WJ infinity tweeters because the ones in my WJ are blown.
Edit: See post below, new tweeters instead.

Heres the sub setup that I built in my XJ, I'm ditching the trunk box and putting the subs+amp in the WJ. Amp is going under the rear drivers side seat with a little crossmember hacking ;) They're not for showing off (even though they can) I was sure my Polk Amp I bought had remote level control because I'm an audiophile and I tune it on the go to sound the best. I love good quality sound.

Repairs so far:

Side mirror autodim failed and leaked fluid between the panes, replaced that
Flasher module failed, pulled it apart and soldered the contacts again (works great)
Auto Climate Control blend doors fixed at dealer under extended warranty
Auto climate control knobs got stuck for whatever reason, pulled unit apart and cleaned a bunch of sticky iced tea out of it (not sure how it got there

Planned mods:
2" Rusty's BB
Bigger Tires
242 Swap
Westin Safari Light Bar (the low one because it mounts to the front skid holes not the tow hook holes) w/ 2x Hella 500ff's running 100w

See less See more
#1,767 ·
The HO has beefier pistons and rods too, and the compression isn't high enough that a reasonable amount of boost couldn't be run with a good tune, etc. It's still under 10:1 compression, which with aluminum heads is plenty fine for boost. The cams are still not all that aggressive, but will make more power for a given amount of boost than an non-HO would.

And yeah, talking Matt into boosting a Jeep will be tough. Maybe if I boost the 5.9 he'll follow suit (I gotta do something to kill this tranny so I have an excuse to swap in a manual).

#1,768 ·
Hush y'all with the boost. I see the beefed up components as a good reliability point not a motivation to push them farther. I'm sure I would have plenty of power with the stock HO let alone a normal 4.7 to get myself in trouble. Also seeing as the block is iron and the heads are aluminum I don't want to introduce any situation that could cause the engine to heat past normal operating temps else the different expansion rates could leave me with badly warped heads... That would make Matt very upset.

I do plan on doing the BDS kit for some clearance and to help wipe out some of the body roll. I'll probably do the moog steering components upgrades too because while the extra feedback is a bit cumbersome at times overall it feels way more confident.

Edit: oh yeah today was payday. Going to Put se money in the Jeep to fix some things. I'm thinking new a-arm with moog ball joint, new tensioner, change some fluids, and then maybe organize a ball joint changing party with comptiger. It's my drivers side so can't really blame it on popping curbs. Why am I putting money into a jeep I'm trying to sell? Because every little thing will Bring the value down more than if I just fix it first. The a-arm is seriously noisy, the ball joints would probably improve drivability, and the tensioner is making whirring noises and bounces a good bit at idle.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

#1,769 ·
I've bought, fixed up, and sold a lot of cars. It doesn't pay off to have your vehicle in the best shape of its life the day that you sell it. Fix it because you want to. Don't expect much in the way of added value. Maybe easier to sell, but no more valuable.

BTW, you are making the right decision going V8 I think. I know you've been less than happy with the 4.0 for quite some time.

I think your plans for the new one are pretty solid. Doing an HD steering stabilizer with your steering upgrade will help keep it feeling smooth and confident.

#1,770 ·
Thanks a ton Richard, I think you have the right idea and I will probably be doing a lot similar to your build. I don't really want to fix everything I can possibly find but I do not want much to be talked down much for silly things I could have fixed. The rear a-arm creaks every time you come to a stop or every time someone sits down in the Jeep, there's no way you can miss it during a test drive. The ball joints might be fine but I don't know if they'll become a safety concern. I'd like to adjust the bands on the transmission as well because that'll make it shift better. Right now my kickdown cable is over adjusted because IMO the 42 is just a sloppy transmission in any jeep I've driven

#1,771 ·
I agree, the 42 tends to feel sloppy. A fresh band adjustment will likely tighten it up a bit though.

As far as ball-joint party, it'll probably be a brake upgrade event for me, as I've got new BJs arriving Tuesday, and I'm gonna see if a friend down here (works for a Toyota dealer and has after-hours shop use rights) can lend me a hand swapping them out before I drive it to Rochester on Friday.

#1,772 ·
Honestly my main problem is i basically have a v8 wj to drive over the summer (but it's not mine) so whenever I go back to mine it's just kind of disheartening because my i6 is working its butt off to hold speed and the v8 just snoozes down the road. I like electrically controlled transmissions like the AW4 in my old XJ and I've decided they are much smarter than the 42 which really does not understand much of what the driver is doing short of how much gas you're giving it.

#1,774 ·
104* and I was just sitting in traffic AC blasted. Felt good it was nice and cold in my WJ. Saw many cars broken down on the side of the road, all the neglected cooling systems came out today . Mine, she sat right under the 210 mark the whole time, and I only have an e-fan

Attachments

#1,775 ·
Mine topped at 100 down here in southern VA. My mechanical fan was kicking up in some traffic. I am going to need an AC "tune-up" its not cooling as fast as i would like.

#1,776 ·
101 here. Just replaced the whole cooling system last year. Stayed at 210 the whole time. Even in stop and go traffic. Took about a minute to get to a good temperature in the jeep.

#1,778 ·
Adjusting my front band... Found a really easy way to do it using a cool tool but I'm held up right now looking for my 1/4 drive T-40. Pics to follow

#1,779 ·
A lot better... The band adjustment was way off. I used a special Kobalt thru-ratchet to tighten the jamb nut while holding the adjustment screw steady using my torx bit

Attachments

#1,780 ·
Did you finish? Notice any improvements?

#1,781 ·
It's done and every shift 80% throttle and less is really good. WOT throttle is still not a perfect shift but a 42 with 120k I can't be too critical. No slips and nice and firm but the 1-2 at WOT is just a bit slow. I might have under adjusted I tried to hold the screw as tight as possible while tightening the nut but it's not that easy

#1,782 ·
That sounds pretty good man. Glad it helped out! Under normal acceleration when the fluid is cold the 1-2 shift will be quick. When it warms up and has gotten up to temperature it will start to have a little lag. This is around 3k rpms. Sounds like a band adjustment is the way to go.

#1,783 ·
ARB and rear tire carrier pending sale to fellow JF members. I'll be glad to see them put to good use. I'm sure my i6 will be relieved with less weight but I'm hoping it doesnt get too stiff with the OME HDs. Ah well, we shall see. I loved having the ARB bumper it was pretty awesome, but I never really did it justice. It was an impulse buy to begin with. If I do it again I'd either go with the LSR Incline Front bumper and find somewhere to stuff the spare. Either that or I'd go full Iceland like Will. Damn... now I need to find somewhere to remount my CB antenna. On the ARB it was awesome, 1.3 SWR across the spectrum and awesome range. Maybe a hood mount, but I want to beef it up to prevent any flex in the mount, that'd just disctract the hell outta me

#1,784 ·
Heh, you probably just picked up 1 mpg and lost 1 second on your 0-60 time. :D

#1,786 ·
Wj was wayyyyy overdue for a cleaning. It was hot out so I opted to try out a new toy, random orbital I had gotten for my boat... Well, it worked amazing on the WJ! I actually didn't end up using the eagle one wax in the picture I found some meguiars gold class liquid wax in the shed which really made an amazing shine.

Attachments

#1,788 ·
What the... you took your Grand Cherokee badge off?

#1,789 ·
snobrdrkid07 said:
What the... you took your Grand Cherokee badge off?
No the body shop lost it when they repainted the door

#1,790 ·
compcrasher86 said:
No the body shop lost it when they repainted the door
Oh thats nice. Id be pissed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.