CompCrasher's 01 WJ Ltd - Page 54 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > CompCrasher's 01 WJ Ltd

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-29-2011, 09:31 PM   #796
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

The piston skirt issue isn't all that common. We just only hear from the ones with issues. My mom's 99 is a bit over 103k and the engine isn't even noisy.

As far as power mods, you could start with some porting to the cylinder head (or one of the few upgraded aftermarket ones), a small cam, and headers. The big reason why most people don't do a lot with the 4.0 is that the head flows like crap in stock form. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of options. Pretty much these: port a stock head or buy one of these: http://www.hesco.us/shop.asp?action=details&inventoryID=44115&catId=77 35

That, and/or some boost (plenty of room in the engine bay for a turbo setup) would pick up a good bit of power. Plus, the better head, etc, would make for an epic stroker sometime in the future.

Chances are, the best you could do without pulling the engine out of the Jeep would be to upgrade the head, cam it (go for lots of lift and fast ramp rates, but not much more duration than stock), some valvetrain work (would want to convert to roller cam rather than flat tappet to allow faster valve lift rates without risking killing the cam easily), and a turbo setup running 5 - 7 psi of boost. The stock bottom end should hold together with that. You could probably get to 300 - 350 hp and 350 - 400 ft. lbs. of torque no problem with that kind of setup. Obviously, a full tranny beef-up would be needed at that point, it's beyond what just a shift kit will let a 42RE live through.

The key to remember is that you absolutely CANNOT ever rev it past 5500 (shift points up to 5200 or so) without insane amounts of work, as the 4.0 has some nasty harmonics that develop and can pretty much shake/tear the engine apart if you go much past that, and they require lots of $$$$ to work past.

comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2011, 10:00 PM   #797
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Yeah that is true, you only really hear about it when they fail and people complain.

Mods, holy crap those are expensive. RIPP Mods has a supercharger for the 4.0 TJ but not the WJ?? I have no idea why. Isn't like the same engine and stuff?

Yeah the 42re will blow out with stock power, let alone running any significant performance mods.

Mine shifts before 5200 rpms. Around 4800-4900? I will have to go flat out again and look.

I just think the best option if something ever happens would be this Here, 4.6 by Golen
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2011, 03:52 AM   #798
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The k and n and exhaust shouldn't do too much for you without modified heads though, jeep redesigned the intake manifolds for the 99+ 4.0s and such such that the limiting factor became the heads themselves. The most noticeable effect will be a more beefy accelerating noise, potentially quicker throttle response, and a cute little whooshing noise when you rev it

Ps snobrdkid if I had the money I'd throw in a Golen 4.6 in a heartbeat, so much easier and reassuring to pay an experienced machine shop/engine building company to do it and all you have to handle is some quick bolting up. If I ever get forced into pulling the 42re I'm taking measurements to see if a 6 spd would fit. Only thing is I could never pass emissions without the auto tranny, the ECU would go nuts without all those pressure sensors feeding it

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2011, 10:43 AM   #799
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Matt, at that point, you might as well just have a local machine shop do the work. Then, you get to pick exactly what performance bits go into the engine, rather than buying a basic (not terribly high output) stroker package like Golen and other sell.

As far as swapping in a manual, nobody said there aren't ways to make the PCM think there's still an auto connected to it
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #800
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The prebuilt engine would be no hassle, I don't have to worry about getting the right combo of parts and I know their combination works well. 270hp and 320ftlb of torque would be more than enough to keep me happy. Any more and I could get myself in trouble. It's nice to have a car that you can go pedal towards the floor getting on the highway, enjoy some acceleration and some exhaust, but not be like ohhhhh crap I'm doin 80 and I haven't left second gear yet. If I get a custom exhaust id want to enjoy it so best not have something too fast. Also prebuilt engines have several year warranties on them, I like that, that means once it's in I don't have to keep throwing money at it if I get bad parts, like say a timing set with a faulty mark in it *cough* lol

Idk I wouldn't count on this whole engine thing happening. I have a grudge against the 42 and I don't wanna fortify a turd and swapping in a manual would be cool but nowhere near worth the hassle. There are plenty of nice cheap v8 WJs out there and the 545 is one of my favorite trannies to have come out of Chrysler...

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
Unread 12-30-2011, 12:20 PM   #801
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

If I could drop a golen with a built 42 and a 44a rear end. I'd be more then happy. And have about the same power as the HO!
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 12-30-2011, 01:04 PM   #802
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

HEATED SEAT! Heated seats! Mmmm toasty
image-1057137604.jpg  

Matt
Unread 12-30-2011, 03:17 PM   #803
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86
HEATED SEAT! Heated seats! Mmmm toasty
Ahhh so jelly! Did you get two sets?

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 12-30-2011, 04:14 PM   #804
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Pshh why would I do that lol. Maybe if I had a wife or something otherwise the passengers can deal

Heated seat install shoulda been done by now but im hungry and things have gotten sloppy. Everything is professional with the seat looks just like new... but then I knocked my laptop off the table with it (put a nice little dent in it) thank god its my old one but im still upset. Then I went out to drill the hole for the switch, and the bulb on my worklight caught fire. So now here I am with a little CFL dangling through the sunroof drilling the hole when I hit that stupid sheet metal bracket for the shift gate gasket and made a mess of the center console. Ripped it off and will modify later. Then while I had the console off figured I'd put the e-brake back on... but somethings wrong because theres no tension and when I pull the handle the cable doesnt even move.... so something isnt pre-tensioned properly in the e-brake assembly... so I'm downloading the FSM because my copy is 400mi away at school and I really just want to go and warm my butt on these seats but the second I went outside the house things went downhill... I'll keep you guys posted

Edit, looked at the FSM and seems as though I removed the lever improperly the first time, I was supposed to engage some lockout spring or something which I never did so when I took it off the internal spring unwound . I'm going to try and get the tension back on it and engage that stupid spring or else its off to the junky tomorrow to get a new ebrake handle.... fudge

Matt
Unread 12-30-2011, 04:52 PM   #805
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Well I am doing both seats when I eventually redo mine. In some credit card debt, well not debt as much as a really big bill from christmas etc. I want both!

Yeah when ya get tired and then mistakes happen.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 12-30-2011, 07:15 PM   #806
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

All done! Heres what I did tonight!
Got the seat out of the Jeep (4x 15mm bolts and 2x harness plugs) and into my room, took the switches off the side (3x phillips screws and 2x harness plugs)

Undo all of the plastic long J clips, the ones for the seat back cover are hidden and may give you trouble.

Then start peeling back the bottom seat cushion only to discover hog rings, YAY hog rings! Just cut them with a good pair of electrical dykes. I hate hog rings, use zip ties when you reassemble, works just as well.

Got the bottom cushion nice and centered and stuck down, but had to trim it because of the design of the seat

Got the seat back cushion up there, unfortunately, also had to be trimmed, but still covers more than factory heated seats do

Stuffed the wires through (tip, cut a slit in the foam where the wires route) and zip tied so they wont get in the way Then pulled the cover back over and refastened all of the J-hooks. Use zip ties where you previously found hog rings.

Made a little slit in the carpet by the seat and ran all of the wires, grounded by the airbag computer, ran the power to the front by the cig lighter

And after diagnosing a bad connection or two... we have HEAT!

The ebrake was a pain but I figured it out so I have an e-brake again, yay. I had to apparently wind up tension in the spring and then theres a lockout spring you flip down while you attach the cable then you tap it and it unlocks and pulls the cable tight... My cable wasnt getting tension because it became unhooked at the distributor, which via the FSM I learned is underneath the carpet via a flap under the rear center seat. Thats also where the ABS g-force sensor is.

Matt
Unread 12-30-2011, 09:47 PM   #807
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

That is a pretty cool place for the switch actually! I like it! I fixed my heated seat, it was so nice!

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 12-30-2011, 11:04 PM   #808
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07
That is a pretty cool place for the switch actually! I like it! I fixed my heated seat, it was so nice!
My picture doesn't do it justice, it blends in really well with the interior. What did you do to fix yours?

Matt
Unread 12-31-2011, 06:09 AM   #809
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86

My picture doesn't do it justice, it blends in really well with the interior. What did you do to fix yours?
Kept it on for more then 3 minutes. :P

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 12-31-2011, 09:19 AM   #810
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07

Kept it on for more then 3 minutes. :P
Lol! The thermostat musta just stuck or something

Matt

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.