Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

CompCrasher's 01 WJ Ltd

160K views 3K replies 64 participants last post by  compcrasher86 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I neglected doing this on my XJ so I want to start an in-depth build thread on my 01 WJ Limited.

It has around 107k miles on it right now, its always been maintained well and was completely inspected before it was given to me. Mechanic who used to do all the maintenance told me its in great shape. I'll be doing all fluid changes and any maintenance from this point on :D

Here comes some stock info!
(All the stuff limiteds come with EXCEPT heated seats)
Stone White Exterior
Sandstone Leather Interior
4.0L i6
Quadratrac-2 (NP247)
Rear D35 Front D30 geared with 3.55's
235/65/17 Michelin AT's on Silverblades
Factory/dealer applied protective undercoating
Aftermarket Remote Starter

Stock pictures:
Front:

Rear End:

Interior:

New Keys side by side with my XJ's :)

It was just recently transferred into my name right after I left for college so I wont be able to touch it until november :rolleyes:

Mods I'm doing right away are as follows:
Got myself tow hooks from a junkyard up here, I'm happy to have recovery points now:

Got a PIE aux in adaptor and then bought a dock connector --> 12v+RCA. I had to get one with a 5v transformer built in because I have an iphone and it only charges off of 5. This is a nice one plug solution and will charge and play iPods through the factory stereo. (Get to keep my steering wheel controls :highfive:)

For audio I've resealed a set of WJ infinity tweeters because the ones in my WJ are blown.
Edit: See post below, new tweeters instead.

Heres the sub setup that I built in my XJ, I'm ditching the trunk box and putting the subs+amp in the WJ. Amp is going under the rear drivers side seat with a little crossmember hacking ;) They're not for showing off (even though they can) I was sure my Polk Amp I bought had remote level control because I'm an audiophile and I tune it on the go to sound the best. I love good quality sound.

Repairs so far:

Side mirror autodim failed and leaked fluid between the panes, replaced that
Flasher module failed, pulled it apart and soldered the contacts again (works great)
Auto Climate Control blend doors fixed at dealer under extended warranty
Auto climate control knobs got stuck for whatever reason, pulled unit apart and cleaned a bunch of sticky iced tea out of it (not sure how it got there

Planned mods:
2" Rusty's BB
Bigger Tires
242 Swap
Westin Safari Light Bar (the low one because it mounts to the front skid holes not the tow hook holes) w/ 2x Hella 500ff's running 100w

See less See more
#1,735 ·
I think you guys are way over-thinking caster and pinion angle at 2-3" lift heights. Neither should be so far out of spec that a slight arm adjustment would make the vehicle undriveable.

@Phantom - there are offset ball joints available but they aren't what I'd call adjustable. They are pressed into the C at the setting you want and that's that. Not like you can install and then fine-tune the joint.

#1,736 ·
Your Jeep rides petty well already, I wouldn't worry too much about arms for that reason. As far as extra caster from the balljoints, it won't hurt anything if you go back to stock. You would have to have a ton (at least several degrees) of extra caster beyond stock for anything negative to happen. The Jeep should also track straighter with more caster, which is a nice bonus. Honestly, even though mine is probably well above spec by now, I'm probably going with offset BJs to get even a bit more when I do my Vancos.

#1,737 ·
Heh our definition of "rides good" are drastically different in the sense that I prefer two extremes. Either it rides like a cloud and I'm sailing over everything (but not bouncy) or it needs to be tightly damped and sporty (but not harsh and teeth chattering) right now my jeep is somewhere between sporty and cloud on the highway which is okay but I feel like it may be a bit too much weight for the bilsteins to feel comfortable with. I think my main problem is that I'm being so picky about ride quality and I own an 11 year old lifted Jeep with 400lbs of offroad equipment tacked onto it. I'm expecting the wrong things from the wrong vehicle. But I can't go back to stock because there really isn't anything too special or fun about a stock height i6 WJ now is there? I am considering pulling the bumpers for a weekend and seeing how she rides. The bumpers were more of a "I want" versus an "I need" thing.

In other news I've fixed my E-brake and readjusted it a couple more times (it was dragging after my initial adjustment) and now it works awesome. I also took care of a long needed interior cleaning using the arsenal of detailing supplies I found from last year. I also did a good bit of towing my boat around. Everything about my jeep (minus wanting a bit more power in first gear) was awesome with the towing. OMEs didn't sag too badly and the bilsteins kept my tires planted. My trailer hitch is kind of bothering me bouncing around I might need to snag one of those shock absorbing ones.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Attachments

#1,739 ·
Heh... Actually my thermoquiets were up to the task of keeping everything tame. Plus I didn't go much beyond 40 the entire way, it was around town. I have a dual-axle trailer that tows really well, everything is nice and snug and in good shape. You can feel a little bit of jerking over bumps but actually I felt really well connected. Only thing that bothered me was the little bit of play between the hitch and the receiver. I had one or two people cut me off on the way (thinking oh he's towing I can make it, but then fail to accelerate once they're in the road /rantoff) so I had a couple moments where I got to give the brakes a good workout. I would not have done it with my XJ and I would definitely not have done it with my old ZJ, but WJ brakes did just fine.

#1,740 ·
Part of the issue with your ride is your rear shocks not being stiff enough for the springs and weight, which leaves it a little bouncy (your fronts seem good though). If I end up upgrading my rear shocks, feel free to try out my MX6s and see how they do. Otherwise, see if you can RMA yours for the finish issue and step up to non-reservoir 7100s which give you more valving choices (and are re-valvable).

It probably did fine towing the boat, considering my ZJ survived doing 55 or so for 370 miles with a 6500lb (loaded) car trailer with another ZJ on it :eek:

And stock height I6 WJ. Yeah, how about stock height I6 turbo WJ ;)

#1,741 ·
compcrasher86 said:
Heh our definition of "rides good" are drastically different in the sense that I prefer two extremes. Either it rides like a cloud and I'm sailing over everything (but not bouncy) or it needs to be tightly damped and sporty (but not harsh and teeth chattering) right now my jeep is somewhere between sporty and cloud on the highway which is okay but I feel like it may be a bit too much weight for the bilsteins to feel comfortable with. I think my main problem is that I'm being so picky about ride quality and I own an 11 year old lifted Jeep with 400lbs of offroad equipment tacked onto it. I'm expecting the wrong things from the wrong vehicle. But I can't go back to stock because there really isn't anything too special or fun about a stock height i6 WJ now is there? I am considering pulling the bumpers for a weekend and seeing how she rides. The bumpers were more of a "I want" versus an "I need" thing.

In other news I've fixed my E-brake and readjusted it a couple more times (it was dragging after my initial adjustment) and now it works awesome. I also took care of a long needed interior cleaning using the arsenal of detailing supplies I found from last year. I also did a good bit of towing my boat around. Everything about my jeep (minus wanting a bit more power in first gear) was awesome with the towing. OMEs didn't sag too badly and the bilsteins kept my tires planted. My trailer hitch is kind of bothering me bouncing around I might need to snag one of those shock absorbing ones.

I'll take the front bumper haha.

#1,742 ·
Got my eyes on another WJ right now. Who wants to buy mine? Make me an offer maybe I'll do something stupid :laugh:. In addition I'm willing to sell the bumpers on the side at this point. Make me an offer and come pick em up. ARB crush brackets are practically brand new rear tire carrier just needs replacement threaded shaft ($20 from C4x4) and itll be in perfect shape

#1,745 ·
I reallllllly dont think I'm going to be able to ship these the front is like 150lbs and the rear feels like its 200+. It'll most likely be a fortune and a half. I know when you order an ARB new it needs to be shipped using freight delivery $$$. Ill do some research and let ya know though. Local pickup takes priority.

Edit: Just checked, for me to ship UPS freight to you would cost $550 for one bumper and $580 for both. Thats just shipping, yeahhhhhhhh

#1,746 ·
compcrasher86 said:
I reallllllly dont think I'm going to be able to ship these the front is like 150lbs and the rear feels like its 200+. It'll most likely be a fortune and a half. I know when you order an ARB new it needs to be shipped using freight delivery $$$. Ill do some research and let ya know though. Local pickup takes priority.

Edit: Just checked, for me to ship UPS freight to you would cost $550 for one bumper and $580 for both. Thats just shipping, yeahhhhhhhh[/

Ok what's your best price shipped for both? :)

#1,747 ·
compcrasher86 said:

Edit: Just checked, for me to ship UPS freight to you would cost $550 for one bumper and $580 for both. Thats just shipping, yeahhhhhhhh[/

Ok what's your best price shipped for both? :)
Errr a WJ ARB is 900 new I'm looking for $400. My rear tire carrier was $925 new (unpainted and as optioned) and I am looking for $500... Add $600 shipping and you're pretty up there at $1500. I really dont want to ship these, I really want the buyer to look at them in person, make their decision, and take them away. Also I can't take $1500 over paypal this really needs to be done in person. Sorry bud :(

#1,748 ·
So to anyone who isnt filled in by now. I'm trying to 'upgrade' myself to another WJ with a V8 under the hood (y'all new the day was coming, hush hush). The bumpers do not help resell value of my Jeep too much so I am selling those in JF classifieds and soon to be Craigslist. I am going to try and sell it lifted with the OME and Bilsteins on. Would be perfect for somebody to slap on a set of 32s and take her wheeling. If I dont get enough bites I will drop $100 on some stock replacement shocks, drop her back down to stock height, and try and sell to a broader audience. I'll either sell the lift or keep it for next WJ. Nobody else bites and I'll eventually do a trade-in I guess. I'm in no rush, I've got all summer to do this. Heck I wait long enough I dont even have to sell my current WJ (but I cant bear to leave it here alone to die while I go up to school for the winter so I want to give my Jeep a good home first). Rob I know you're out there and I know exactly what you're thinking. No, I can only own one WJ... for now.

So plans for the new one? I'm thinking to keep it simple. Richard I really admire your build and want to head in that direction. I'm probably looking at maybe a BDS kit to firm up the body roll and give me some lift, grab a set of 1-2" 5100s, get a set of 31s or so, and just make it ride realllllll nice. Maybe do the moog components all over again and just make it a pleasant ride. I've been doing a lot of highway cruising and with 32s and all the extra weight and height my Jeep is all over the highway. Friend has a V8 Laredo WJ and I was driving it on the highway the other day. Even unmaintained, beat to snot, and neglected... the thing still had really nice smooth power delivery (wait, I dont have to downshift to pass somebody?!) and rode real nice. I'm going to try and fix a bunch of little issues on my WJ (a-arm, tensioner, ball joints) before I sell it and all these new components ought to help the value out a bit. I am also selling my XJ and ZJ on the cheap, so I can subsidize to one good Jeep. And yes, I'm trying not to get a white one, although theres an amazing deal on an exact clone of my WJ but with a V8 in it thats really tempting. My main advantage is I'm not in any real rush so I can wait to sell mine till I get what I want for it and then find somebody who really needs to get rid of their Jeep and wait it out and offer low. Theres an Overland right now I've been keeping my eye on the guy is moving at the end of the month and the price keeps going lower... and lower. To the point where I think my Jeep is actually worth more than what he's asking. Dont think I'll catch that deal in time (I'm only two paychecks ahead of being broke in the beginning of summer and still have to put a deposit down on my place for next year) but I'll keep you guys posted. Any leads on some good WJs are awesome, I'd go far to get the right one, especially if its south.

#1,752 ·
Heh... It's tempting guys but now is a good time for me to trade in for the wj I wanted from the start... I don't really have time for a project

#1,757 ·
Y'all forgot about the tranny... And then the rear diff... And then the front driveshaft... And who knows, does the Golen stroker throw more heat than stock? Then I'd need to upgrade the cooling... And when something goes wrong who or where do i go for parts. And at a certain point you look at it and decide maybe it's not such a smart project after all. And then at the end of the day I still don't like the color of my interior, or my exterior, and I don't really like the 247 either. I should be more than happy with what a 4.7 can do. I think going between my jeep and a stock 4.7 is what's doing me in.

#1,758 ·
I do have to agree when it comes down to it.

Here is what you do. Get an Overland, swap a 242HD. Done.

#1,760 ·
squashman702 said:
This. You know you're going to be kicking yourself if you don't go with the H.O- at least get a Limited with one.
Exactly, you will have to get a HO, and premium gas doesnt even cost that much more. Not that id ever put anything but premium in the HO.

But yeah dude. Make sure its got it. :)

#1,761 ·
Don't get me wrong the HO would be a really cool option to have, but it all depends on what's available. If I can find a limited with an HO that would be perfect because most dealers won't mark the price up nearly as much if at all as the overland trim line. More than the HO I would like to get quadradrive. I don't anticipate running more than 31s on my next jeep for a while so QD would still work nicely. I'm not being too picky here but switching off between a 4.7 and the 4.0 so often I just really like the engine/tranny combination so much more. The 4.0 I often find myself foot pretty far down on the edge if not well into a downshift trying to get up a hill. Didn't experience that once while driving the 4.7. I also like the 545 much better it's a much smarter transmission and doesn't do silly things the 42 does that pisses me off (hunting between 1st and second in parking lots, taking a lot of effort to come out of overdrive, clunking into 3rd when you have to lift-shift in a parking lot, taking too long to shift from 3rd to OD after a kickdown). Really I don't need an HO it's more for the general V8 powertrain. Also this will give me a chance to pick the interior/exterior that I really want (looking for agate/grey interior and anything but white or gold exterior.) at this point i dont see an overland in my price range so I'll shop around for a limited HO and quadradrive but id honestly be perfectly happy with a Laredo V8 WJ without any bells and whistles.

#1,766 ·
Don't get me wrong the HO would be a really cool option to have, but it all depends on what's available. If I can find a limited with an HO that would be perfect because most dealers won't mark the price up nearly as much if at all as the overland trim line.
This is what I tried to do. Those Limiteds with the HO move FAST (off the lot). I missed out on a couple, and they were $1k-3k less than the Overlands I found.

I would argue that the HO is less suitable for boost (particularly turbocharging) due to compression ratio and more aggressive cams. The forged crank is the only internal part that is actually any stronger, and you are a LONG way from breaking cranks even if you doubled the power output. Not that anyone here has even .1% chance of boosting their 4.7.

#1,762 ·
compcrasher86 said:
Don't get me wrong the HO would be a really cool option to have, but it all depends on what's available. If I can find a limited with an HO that would be perfect because most dealers won't mark the price up nearly as much if at all as the overland trim line. More than the HO I would like to get quadradrive. I don't anticipate running more than 31s on my next jeep for a while so QD would still work nicely. I'm not being too picky here but switching off between a 4.7 and the 4.0 so often I just really like the engine/tranny combination so much more. The 4.0 I often find myself foot pretty far down on the edge if not well into a downshift trying to get up a hill. Didn't experience that once while driving the 4.7. I also like the 545 much better it's a much smarter transmission and doesn't do silly things the 42 does that pisses me off (hunting between 1st and second in parking lots, taking a lot of effort to come out of overdrive, clunking into 3rd when you have to lift-shift in a parking lot, taking too long to shift from 3rd to OD after a kickdown). Really I don't need an HO it's more for the general V8 powertrain. Also this will give me a chance to pick the interior/exterior that I really want (looking for agate/grey interior and anything but white or gold exterior.) at this point i dont see an overland in my price range so I'll shop around for a limited HO and quadradrive but id honestly be perfectly happy with a Laredo V8 WJ without any bells and whistles.

Man that's a long post from the iPhone haha

#1,764 ·
comptiger5000 said:
Also, HO will take boost pretty nicely without internal mods :drool: Can't let those 31s reduce the ricer burning ability :cool:
What he said!!! ^^^

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.