CompCrasher's 01 WJ Ltd - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > CompCrasher's 01 WJ Ltd

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 01-14-2011, 06:02 PM   #61
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplitNail View Post
Which remote start did you get I REALLY want one!
on my XJ I used the Viper 350 and wired the aux channel up to a DEI remote start interface. That has awesome range. On my WJ, it actually came installed already and from what I gather from the numbers on the remote, its an audiovox system. Mine is wired kind of weird but still works fine. I might re-do it at some point

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2011, 11:00 PM   #62
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

so, my WJ has treated me more than well, I love the thing so far. Very great ride, I've had some chances to push its limits on handling and the such

I got the rear sway bar moog bushings from AAP and as I went to install them found out that they weren't the problem. The problem is where the bottom of the links attach to the sway bar, for whatever reason there seems to be a decent amount of play. So I returned the moog bushings (need every penny lol) and I'm going to eventually order two new sway bar links to fix the issue. I was so relieved to actually work on suspension that wasnt welded over in rust.

I'm picking up a new stant gas cap tomorrow they are on sale at AAP near me for a great price, only $5!!!! Hopefully this will fix my check engine light otherwise I am going to be an extremely unhappy Jeep owner tracing down the p0456 code. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_CAP-GAS-Stant-BP_18481529-P_112_R|GRPCAPSAMS_1601063706___

Oh and other stuff, who the hell thought it would be funny to switch the standard for the windshield blade connectors on the WJ. I had to pop and replace those stupid clips on the rain-x wipers and even still they dont feel as secure as the ones on my XJ. Also I found out the cheap so called "-20 freezeproof" stuff from autozone just doesnt cut it in this 15 degree weather. I spray the stuff and within seconds of it being on my windshield it glazes over and makes it impossible to see. Grrr. Going to have to blow through all my washer fluid and buy that overpriced Rain-x/prestone crap

I'm really upset, waiting for summer I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to use the sunroof bad and also have functioning Air Conditioning. My XJ it never worked, the ZJ I fixed it a month before I got rid of it, and now I'm excited for WJ auto climate. I also want to be able to do a complete in-depth cleaning of the whole Jeep I'm talking about every single crack and crevice I can find. I want it to be completely spotless, including the door sills and the engine bay, the fuel tank filler area, all those places I can tell you have never been hand-washed before.

I also did some WD-40 rust proofing with comptiger, we sprayed it in the bottom gutter drains of the doors and hatch, and I coated all of my wheel wells and visible suspension components and pinch welds in it. heheh. My Jeep kinda sorta reeeeked like WD-40 for the couple days after that but it was for a good cause

New speakers sounding great still but I did notice at loud volumes in certain songs I'm vibrating the door panels. Damn, I knew it wouldnt sound perfect after breaking half those stupid clips. Anyone know where I can find a bunch of them for a reasonable price??

I also need a Mopar trailer hitch setup. I really do not like the way the U-haul hitch hangs down low and even so I do not trust it structurally (chunks of metal fall off of it every couple of days and its completely rusted through) I also cannot even get the hitch pin out so that ball mount is stuck in there. Obnoxious.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
Unread 01-24-2011, 01:51 PM   #63
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Bored between classes so I installed my Aux jack. Its a Jensen J-port model, I picked it up at work on the cheap, couldnt pass it up. Its meant for marine waterproof installations so I'm sure itll do the trick.

Cut hole in console with dremel:

From the backside:

Put the jack in and crank the nut down tight. Somehow it was reverse thread.

From the backside:

I had to take the picture with my iphone so I put this old brick in there to demo the awesomeness of my new aux jack

Matt
Unread 01-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #64
SplitNail
1999 WJ 

Thats cute

I have something similar. But in the front and my headunit controls my iphone.

SplitNail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 02:27 PM   #65
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I was looking at the aftermarket units but I found a PIE on ebay for 20 bones and I couldn't pass that kind of deal up! I also have a cable that goes direct to my iPhone, as featured on pg 1. It charges and feeds the PIE a steady line signal. Now I just need to splice both the aux jack and the iPod cable and I'll be good

Matt
Unread 01-24-2011, 04:31 PM   #66
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

This just made my day 500x better. I went to AAP, the sale ended on the gas cap but the guy was really kind and honored it anyways. Then I installed it, pulled the PCM battery fuse and BAM!

I drove it around for 20 minutes and it didnt come back so I'm pretty excited right about now. Part number was Stant 10838. I like how its a full twist on and not the weird 1/4 turn one. Only downside is it doesn't have a tether attachment so unfortunately I just have to be careful with it

Matt
Unread 01-29-2011, 03:19 PM   #67
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

So, just did the most unnecessary 2 minute mod in the world. Stuck a bulb into the exterior lights indicator. Its actually kinda cool because with the WJ you really cannot tell when the gauge illumination is on (I leave the VSDs on full bright during daytime) And I do often find myself using the parking lights or overriding the auto headlights in bad weather.

Matt
Unread 01-30-2011, 09:44 AM   #68
gqmdl0617
2000 WJ 

I thought they came with that bulb already. I have the same gauges in my 2000 and that lights up for me.
gqmdl0617 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2011, 01:36 PM   #69
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

You may have bought an export model... does yours have daytime running lamps? In the US models they just don't put the bulb in. The functionality is there though. Either that or somebody did the same thing I did and popped a bulb in.

Matt
Unread 01-31-2011, 01:15 PM   #70
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Mom shipped me a nice little craftsman tool bag for my birthday and I was able to put a bunch of misc tools and small stuff in it. Tried to fit the bag above the 175x90x17 spare tire but... ehh...well... didnt work too well. I have it up against the back of the rear seat along with a bunch of other stuff. Good amount of space in my trunk now

Matt
Unread 02-02-2011, 10:28 AM   #71
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

FML my Jeep didnt start today. I knew something was wrong when it wouldnt unlock. Got in via key and lights were dim as all hell. Tried to start and got one click from the starter solenoid and all was dead. When I turned the key off I started hearing relay ticking coming from under the cluster/dash area. Ticking goes away if foot on brake or highbeam. Ticking does not go away with time, its a relay persistent on engaging even though it can't. Another weird thing... the Recirc indicator on my HVAC was on. No, the HVAC was not on... but the indicator for the recirc was on. Pressing button did nothing and the HVAC was set to "off"

I've noticed it was somewhat strained to crank if I left it overnight which I certainly thought was odd. Today, after sitting 3 days its completely dead. The voltmeter on the gauges was quivering so my multimeter read the battery at 8.6v. Any suggestions?!?!?!

Matt
Unread 02-02-2011, 10:31 AM   #72
smunns

It sounds like it's time for a new battery.
smunns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2011, 10:41 AM   #73
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Ah I forgot to mention in my previous post... the battery is only a couple months old it was installed august of '10 according to my grandma. I checked on the battery to verify it. I seriously doubt its toasted already

Matt
Unread 02-02-2011, 10:52 AM   #74
smunns

What brand and size is the battery? Have you had it tested?
smunns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2011, 11:06 AM   #75
1993ZJ
1993 ZJ 

just because its new doesnt mean it isn't a bad battery. I went through 3 brand new duralast golds (on free replacement of course) before i got a good one. The the first ones i couldnt let it sit more than 3-4 days in decent fall weather with out it being shot. With the good batt i have now i left it sit untouched through the entire month of Dec and it started right up first crank when i got in it. I'd take the battery autozone or someplace that will load test it for you

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.