CompCrasher's 01 WJ Ltd - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > CompCrasher's 01 WJ Ltd

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 12-23-2010, 01:24 AM   #31
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for posting that up, I'm actually subscribed to that thread I like what you did there. I was looking into the rubbermaid outlet boxes but then I noticed I could pop the plugs out on my inverter and use female spade terminals for connections. This setup with just one power outlet and a usb should turn out pretty clean and look factory (or so I hope!) I'm using one of the modified heated seat switches for the power inverter wiring. I'm curious about the spot in the center console where you mounted yours, hopefully mine will fit (fingers crossed) because I think under the seat it would be prone to getting slush and water on it. It is a West Marine power inverter so in theory its up for wet environments but best not take a chance IMO

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2010, 03:38 PM   #32
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

After a day of hell with the RMV, Its home!!! I had to leave my XJ at my grandma's house to the WJ home but I'll pick it up later. Its only a matter of time until the XJ gets jealous of the attention, better not pick up any bad habits ahhahaha.

So my initial drive of it. Rides like a cloud, really soft compared to the XJ. I'm lovin it so far. I noticed only when coming to stop I hear a constant whirring noise from what I believe to be the rear brakes (only happens on the brakes coming to a stop) Does not feel like the rotors are warped, and I dont feel any grinding, just a whirring noise.

Otherwise it was great until I was about a mile away from home and randomly, out of nowhere a loud whining noise started coming from the front passenger wheel well area. Like it was a solid whining tone, loud too. Louder when I passed by fences and cars on the side, so it was reflecting back at me. Its only over 25mph too, slow down below 25 and it instantly dissapears. And it is not constant either, it seems to show up randomly but did not show up till the end of my drive and sometimes I would slow down under 25 then pick back up and the noise would be gone. Weird annoyance I'll have to fix before my trip. Ideas? Oh and the check engine light is on as it was before, going to try fuel cap.

heres a pic in my driveway:

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
Unread 12-24-2010, 09:57 AM   #33
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Gotta rip those mud flaps off. WJ vs ZJ is like rock vs cloud, so I can only imagine coming from an XJ...

That sounds like it could be a wheel bearing. Mine was starting to make that whining noise on top of the normal rumble for the first couple mins worth of driving until it warmed up (and it went away above 40-ish) the last couple days before heading out of Rochester. Didn't do it once I got it back here though.

Whirring brakes could simply be noisy pads. Make sure the rotor surfaces look good, and not worn strangely like there's a rock stuck in a pad or anything.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2010, 10:10 AM   #34
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

this isnt a whining noise its literally a squeal, and completely random. Rotors look fine, no problems there. I imagine its just the pads, the brakes have been done over like 5+ times in the past few years on this WJ. Mostly the front though, I think the shop my grandma went to finally got the Akebono memo but Im going to check and verify that anyways. Brakes feel great, firm and no shaking or vibes at all.

So anyways, last night I couldnt drive without dash speakers so I tossed my kickers in and they slipped in decently, the upper dash piece over them clipped in pretty well but not fully so I'm going to reinstall those today with pix. I also plugged in my iPod adaptor but again, I didnt put the cable exactly where I wanted it so I will redo that today with pics as well. Going to at least get my inverter outlet clipped in place today, its a dremel kind of day today haha. Still a bunch of cleaning to do, my grandma never was the cleanest person in the world. The shifter blinds absolutely SUCK to clean for the record. Last night I completely vaccuumed, treated the leather, armor-all'd the dash, and generally cleaned up the interior. Engine bay is a wreck I might deal with that today too

Aside from that I picked up my boston acoustics speakers today. The factory infinity's actually sound amazing already so I'm excited for these. Something just isnt right about my dash speakers though I'm having trouble equalizing them. They're either too bright or too much mid at higher volumes. They sound awesome at lower volume though so I guess thats what matters. I most likely will not be bringing my subs over I didnt think the factory setup would sound this good!

Matt
Unread 12-24-2010, 10:15 AM   #35
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Yeah, those shifters are a PITA. But the WJ 247 has such a nice feel going into low range with that shifter. Try it at some point. Compared to my ZJ (with either the 249 or 242), it's no comparison.

I saw the FB post on the speakers. BTW, I told ya the WJ factory setup is pretty good. It really comes into its own when you crank it up a bit. Not quite as bassy as my ZJ, but the bass is a bit cleaner, and more forward with the 6x9s in the front doors. A good setup shouldn't be relying on subs for most of the bass, but only the lowest frequencies that the other speakers can't handle.

Also, if the factory infinity amp with its crossover curves gives you issues with the BA speakers, get a 5.9 amp (6 channel, same watts per channel as a WJ amp), build a harness, and build your own crossovers.
Unread 12-24-2010, 10:20 AM   #36
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

b.a. system in the wk has similar crossover curves as the infinity system so I shouldnt run into an issue. I have a panel popper so hopefully I wont do any damage to the stupid spring clippy things. I'm going to install the factory mirror back again now that I fixed it. On the certifit one the glass visibly vibrates when I go over bumps

OH... PS... P0456 can go #$%^& @#$%^& because I do not want to deal with it. Evap leak is probably the worst problem to try and trace down and I dont want to deal with it. Inspection sticker is good till April though so I have time

Matt
Unread 12-24-2010, 10:22 AM   #37
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Sounds good. Can't wait to see her when you get it up to RIT after break.

Oh yeah, and I saw Tom on my way home on Tuesday. I stopped for coffee at one of the rest stops on the Mass Pike, and he was driving in just ahead of me. He saw me, looped around, said hi, and pulled up to the gas pumps (to buy overpriced highway gas, where regular was probably as much as I paid for premium on my way out of Marblehead).
Unread 12-24-2010, 12:36 PM   #38
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Got my tow hooks on. Pics as promised. Before the teardown:

snipped the heads off of all the fenderliner clips. On reassembly I tucker the fender liner behind bumper cover so it holds perfectly without the clips.

My panel popper was perfect for undoing the bottom push clips

10mm screws on each side of the bumper cover

Four screws on top of grille and three inside grille:

Bumper cover slides right off (unplug fog light wiring first if you have fogs):

Mounting plates clip right into place

The U-nuts were tricky, I put them in pushing towards the front of the bumper then I gripped them with pliers and twisted right into place. Was seemless.

Tow hooks all mounted up!

Bumper cover back on!

p.s. if you're like me then you'll completely forget to plug your fog lights back in and curse yourself once you're inside. Its too cold to be out and under the Jeep again I'll get around to it lol

Matt
Unread 12-24-2010, 12:50 PM   #39
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Oh yeah, and as I was talking about before... my auto climate control makes some weirrrrrrd noises. It was repaired for blend door issues by the dealer and its done this ever since. 2 years and going now on the blend door repair from dealer.

YouTube - Wj azc noises

Matt
Unread 12-24-2010, 09:19 PM   #40
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

So I think I've decided that I'm going to either look for or build a single subwoofer sealed enclosure for my WJ instead of running the system at 1 ohms with dual subs I'm going to wire it to 4ohms. One of my infinity reference subs is rated at 250wrms and the amp is capable of 300rms at 4ohm so it will be a good power match and good quality as well. The sub is only there to fill in more of the feeling and will probably be low to off most of the time. I was going to do the Boston Acoustics speakers today but I couldnt find my torx set to get that stupid bolt behind the door handles.

Here they are anyways:

So heres what else I have to show you guys. Kicker KS350 install. Despite the pics, I ended up dremeling off both of the mounting points for the factory tweets.

You can see where the speaker was rubbing the insulation so a razor knife took care of that

Nice fit snug and down low

Installing my iPod cable I tapped the cig lighter wires for the charge +12v

Sealed up and zip tied

Theres my PIE interface on the side there. Slips in perfect

Plugs in just right

And here are my attempts at a power inverter install. Stupid me I didnt check for clearance so this will NOT WORK. Dont do it, I screwed up there is no clearance. Do it on the front below the change organizer. Looks nice though at least...

Matt
Unread 12-24-2010, 10:55 PM   #41
AustinTexasXJ
I break Things

2008 JK Wrangler 

Hey man how are you liking your NV247?

cause I hate mine.

Insta: @bmwalive
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
AustinTexasXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2010, 10:59 PM   #42
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTexasXJ View Post
Hey man how are you liking your NV247?

cause I hate mine.
I'll tell you exactly what I tell comptiger on a daily basis at school, nothing beats the 231 in my XJ! I havent had enough snow on the ground to really vouch for snow abilities but my XJ devoured snow. When I first got back we had snow covered streets and some idiot who was previously driving way to fast spun out in his yota so I non-cholantly threw the XJ in 4hi and popped up completely on the curb and drove around him.... no big deal. I didnt feel a single slip, slide or anything. And I was popping a snow/ice covered curb. I could see the despair on his face. In my XJ If I gassed it in 4hi in even deep snow with the bald snow tires, my XJ would launch forward wheels a-blazing. I loved the feeling. I threw the WJ into low range on some dirt today and gotta say I felt more at home but I havent had any slipping with the 247 yet. A couple icy patches I felt like I should have been slipping but I didnt feel 4wd engage. Are we supposed to feel it? I've got brand new tires so those dont help me slip around. Once we get some snow (blizzard conditions monday) I'll tell you if I like it or not, thats how I really get a feel for 4wd. I am planning on doing a 242 swap some time in the future. I can see how I'd hate the 247 on a trail where I'd want 4hi locked driveshafts but I'd probably be in low range anyways on intense stuff. I do have to give props to the 247 though it really preserves the rear wheel drive feel. I've driven a 231, a 242, a 247, and even a WK (235?) and the 247 does a great job of keeping it a rear wheel drive feel Jeep. The 242 in 4all time still has a weird feel in that it puts power to the front too just with a limited slip center diff. The full rear wheel drive until slip thing was a great idea.

PS is it all in my head is I say the C8.25 on my XJ 'feels' more solid than the d35?

Matt
Unread 12-26-2010, 05:56 AM   #43
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Just drove mom and her boyfriend to the airport this morning and the road was freshly coated snow, unplowed. I gained a new respect for the 247 I actually felt it engage it was like a quick shudder then I WENT forward it was a sweet feeling. My tires have enough grip that I only feel 4wd kick in when I was trying to slip the tires. It kicked in on one of my turns and I was about to slide until my front wheels yanked me out of the slide. Very cool I think I could learn to work with this

On a more sad note I was upset how much $20 moved the gas needle

Also, checked trip odometer and it hasn't been reset in the last 20,000 miles hahaha. In the snow cursing like 37mph I was getting 19-20mpg according to the computer. Not bad.

No more complaints from the wheel bearing, its been dead silent for the past 50miles.

Also, pullin my mud flaps today unless somebody can convince me why I need them, looks like theyre just killin ground clearance

Matt
Unread 01-03-2011, 01:29 PM   #44
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

A little update. Put around 700 miles on the WJ in the past couple of days. Did a 7-hour drive in it no problem up to NY yesterday so its up here with me at school!

It doesnt really like hills... at all. There were some intense steep grades going up to my friend's NH place and I had OD locked out and occasionally threw it into 2nd. When I got to the top of the hill I smelt burning rubber, I got really worried. Any ideas?

Also somethings wrong with my remote start. It timed out on me last night and when I came back the WJ was off and I started it and it started shaking really bad. It drove off within 10-15 seconds but it has never happened before and I think it was linked with remote start killing. Also, if I activate the remote start with the Jeep on (to keep it running if I have to make a quick stop) when I turn the key off it revs up to about 1100rpm and then comes back down. Its almost like its going under some kind of weird engine management. Something is weird with the way its wired because when remote start is active HVAC is on but the display is off. Gauges are on but the odometer is off. When you turn the key to on you get the initial (ding ding ding) even if the Jeep is already on

Found the small coolant leak, its just a leaky thermostat gasket

Cruise control was non-functional, found out the plastic end on the cable snapped. Doesnt look to be replaceable so I improvised with a zip tie. Works great!

Got one of those kensington microports as a temp solution until i hard wire into the console

Got alot of snow at home

Gave it a snow mustache

And cringed at my torn leather ;( really want to fix this

Matt
Unread 01-03-2011, 01:45 PM   #45
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

You don't really feel the 247 engage, unless you slip the tires hard. If you want to feel it in the snow, drive for a few minutes to get everything warmed up, come to a stop and punch it. You'll spin the rear tires for about a 1/2 second, then feel a bit of a thump as it engages, and you'll take off. In the snow, the case isn't bad (I've spend plenty of time in my mom's Quadra-Drive WJ), but it does take some getting used to.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.