CompCrasher's 01 WJ Ltd - Page 173 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > CompCrasher's 01 WJ Ltd

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 06-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #2581
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86

126,6xx. I'm probably looking to unload it end of July or early August but if the market isn't too good I might hold on to it until Thanksgiving, when everyone decides they want something with 4x4 and nobody wants a RWD beemer . I think right now everything is pretty well taken care of but I'll update the build thread when I hear back from Elias 4WD in Townsend. I'm probably going to set up an appointment for next week. I had it up to 50 the other day and hit a drain on the side of the road and no wobbles or shimmies just a bit of feedback in the steering wheel. I haven't driven a stock WJ in forever so I'm just a bit paranoid and all as to how its "supposed to feel".

PS sounds like your girl has the bug and she doesn't even have one yet!
Sounds good. I talked to her and she'd be in the ballpark cash wise around then.

EDIT: What page are the most recent pictures on? Your thread is extensive ha.

Unread 06-25-2013, 08:54 PM   #2582
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squashman702 View Post
Do you have a rough idea of what you might want for it once it's all back to stock? GF is in the market for a new vehicle and is sort of considering a WJ.
Squashman, my mom's also looking to sell her WJ, so feel free to shoot me a PM if you want info / pics.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #2583
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000

Squashman, my mom's also looking to sell her WJ, so feel free to shoot me a PM if you want info / pics.
I'd like pics from both of you guys- feel free to PM and I can get you my email if needed.
Unread 06-25-2013, 11:34 PM   #2584
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000

WOW! Hijack my thread why dontcha :P. Robs mom's WJ does have Quadradrive and brand new heads though...

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #2585
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86 View Post
WOW! Hijack my thread why dontcha :P. Robs mom's WJ does have Quadradrive and brand new heads though...
And less miles

Squashman, I'll PM you pics and info a bit later tonight.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #2586
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Speaking of which- is yours the 0331?
Unread 06-26-2013, 09:59 PM   #2587
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squashman702

Speaking of which- is yours the 0331?
Mine should have an 0331 head. I've been pretty careful about that which is also why I redid the entire cooling system when I saw a radiator leak: Mishimoto radiator, new water pump, new thermostat with progressive opening, new radiator hose, and a full flush and switched to Zerex G05. Also the fan relay was replaced with a higher quality unit back at 85k because it threw a code for a bad fan relay. e-fan works beautiful and I've never seen that temp gauge at or above 210. To get one without the poor casting 0331 head you'd probably want to look for an 02-04 but they're usually never a problem unless you let them overheat.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
Unread 06-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #2588
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Well she's all about the idea. What exactly needs to be done on yours? Alignment?
Unread 06-27-2013, 12:21 PM   #2589
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squashman702
Well she's all about the idea. What exactly needs to be done on yours? Alignment?
Mechanically:
I'll know for sure if I overlooked anything when I have the pros take a look but right now it looks like just an alignment is needed. The Michelin tires have plenty of tread but the sidewalls show small weather cracks so I'd replace them within the next year. It drives great right now and I use it daily. The alignment right now is set to 0 toe so it won't do any damage but stock spec is a bit inwards for steering stability at higher speeds. Also am going to get the balance on the tires checked, I might have lost a wheel weight.

On the interior, small tear on the edge of drivers seat, ashtray mechanism sticks a bit, drivers door wood trim is a bit roughed up, and shift blinds don't always return if you go to 2 or 1. All minor stuff I'd replace if my junkyard had the necessary parts.

On the exterior, one of the four rear bumper clips broke so there's a bit more of a gap on one side. There's also a small dime sized spot on the rear bumper where the paint was scraped off in a parking lot accident. The rockers are clean from the front but the back has some New England rust. It was there when I got the Jeep and I've tried my best to prevent it from spreading. The overland sliders are there in front of them so they are supported well and aren't structurally compromised. Other than that the exterior body panels are clean of rust or any dents/big scratches. I've done touch up paint on 3 rear bumper scrapes, most likely from shopping carts during my grandmother's ownership.

/Full disclosure

Edit: oh and there are three accidents on the carfax which will be provided. All were under my grandmother's ownership, I was in the car during two of them. First the Jeep was hit in the rear in stop and go traffic, person behind pulled their bumper off hitting the trailer hitch, no damage to Jeep. Second was the parking lot accident while Jeep was parked, that was the spot on the rear bumper. Third was a side swipe by an older lady in a red Cadillac, the passenger front plastic cladding was replaced and repainted to match.

Matt
Unread 06-28-2013, 07:08 PM   #2590
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Mechanically:
I'll know for sure if I overlooked anything when I have the pros take a look but right now it looks like just an alignment is needed. The Michelin tires have plenty of tread but the sidewalls show small weather cracks so I'd replace them within the next year. It drives great right now and I use it daily. The alignment right now is set to 0 toe so it won't do any damage but stock spec is a bit inwards for steering stability at higher speeds. Also am going to get the balance on the tires checked, I might have lost a wheel weight.

On the interior, small tear on the edge of drivers seat, ashtray mechanism sticks a bit, drivers door wood trim is a bit roughed up, and shift blinds don't always return if you go to 2 or 1. All minor stuff I'd replace if my junkyard had the necessary parts.

On the exterior, one of the four rear bumper clips broke so there's a bit more of a gap on one side. There's also a small dime sized spot on the rear bumper where the paint was scraped off in a parking lot accident. The rockers are clean from the front but the back has some New England rust. It was there when I got the Jeep and I've tried my best to prevent it from spreading. The overland sliders are there in front of them so they are supported well and aren't structurally compromised. Other than that the exterior body panels are clean of rust or any dents/big scratches. I've done touch up paint on 3 rear bumper scrapes, most likely from shopping carts during my grandmother's ownership.

/Full disclosure

Edit: oh and there are three accidents on the carfax which will be provided. All were under my grandmother's ownership, I was in the car during two of them. First the Jeep was hit in the rear in stop and go traffic, person behind pulled their bumper off hitting the trailer hitch, no damage to Jeep. Second was the parking lot accident while Jeep was parked, that was the spot on the rear bumper. Third was a side swipe by an older lady in a red Cadillac, the passenger front plastic cladding was replaced and repainted to match.
She demands pictures ha.
Unread 06-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #2591
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

A dump of a bunch of recent pictures I found on my phone. More official pictures once its cleaned up and detailed a bit.
Removing the CB and the wiring associated with it:

Swapped back to tan armrest

Sitting on Stock suspension side profile

Front end (after headlight restoring)

Interior (arm rest since been swapped out)

Showing the paint off, note spot on the bumper with paint chip. I have since used a bit of touch-up paint so from a distance it doesn't look as bad. That shopping cart scratch in the middle has also been filled in and is invisible now. Still one of the cleanest white WJs for it's age, which is my primary reason for asking high to start. When I was in Rochester this winter I had an unlimited wash pass to Delta Sonic so it saw underbody spray and cleaning once or twice a week to keep the winter grossness at bay.

Note, the RB1 was plagued by the elusive screen not powering on disease I may have come up with a fix and if it works it will be installed in the Jeep if she'd like it, otherwise I'll hold onto it for my XJ or something :P Probably going into the shop the week after fourth of July so you have some time to look around at your options. There seems to be a shocking amount of interest locally so I'm not too worried about getting it on the market right away. Also if all is well and good I can live with driving it a little longer the price of BMWs continues to drop.

In regards to the grand cherokee recalls you all may have been hearing about, the supposed fix may be to install rear uniframe bracing AKA installing a rear trailer hitch. Mine already has one, problem mitigated . If the NHTSA does an official recall otherwise during my ownership I will make sure it is performed, its an issue that doesn't have me worried at all.

Matt
Unread 07-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #2592
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Heres where the stone starts rolling, saying goodbye to my Bilstein 5100s I'm just waiting on payment before they get shipped out. I really, really liked those damn shocks and will probably go to Bilstein with my future strut needs. Also after letting it soak in for a week I finally figured out what was pissing off my RB1 and the many other 02 era RB1s that are plagued by the blank screen problem upon engine start up. There is a capacitor in the circuitry that is supposed to hold the state of the RB1 in the small amount of time it takes to turn the key from run, hold it to start (meanwhile the RB1 should theoretically turn off during cranking) and then back on again. Something about that capacitor or the transistor that controls it goes bad and the RB1 gets stuck in a confused "half operating" state where the front panel gets completely disabled. I had it apart into pieces and finally decided the best fix was to not cut accessory signal for a short period of time to the RB1. Instead, the main power to the unit would be controlled by a relay tied to the accessory wire so that when it starts up it decides to do a cold start. This does not appear to affect loading time at all (so the Rb1 doesn't appear to cache anything important) and has proven 100% reliable hereforth. Yay! For anybody with a dead RB1 feel free to contact me with more details but this was more simple than I had hoped!

Matt
Unread 07-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #2593
04Overland47

2004 WJ 

Kudos to you for taking the time to diagnose and fix the problem. I remember reading through threads where no one knew what the problem was or how to fix it.

Youtube Channel
WJ Thread
04Overland47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #2594
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Overland47
Kudos to you for taking the time to diagnose and fix the problem. I remember reading through threads where no one knew what the problems was or how to fix it.
From what I'm seeing the only thing it's doing wrong after this fix is defaulting to AM radio source when you turn it on and the clock may be resetting to central time, although it appears to hold the time fine. Minor inconvenience but well worth it, I have an extra two perfectly working WJ headunits if it pisses me or the next owner off so I'm not too worried. Realized how much I missed having that nice big display

Matt
Unread 07-12-2013, 12:18 AM   #2595
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Made some adjustments to my Jeep this morning. It looked like I had 1/4" too much toe in so I brought things out on my tie rod, then checked torque on everything. SS bolts needed some more and one of the sway link bolts needed a bit more. So now with everything cranked down and adjusted it was driving really well around town no pops (must have been the sway link misbehaving before). Friend invited me to a car show a couple hours away I figured I'll just take side roads. Surprise GPS changed its mind and had me get on the highway. Save you the small talk I think my mind got the worst of me because I said why not and my Jeep has never ridden so well before it was such a nice surprise doing 65-70 just cruising it was so happy, no bumps, expansion joints, or rough patches could make it so much as flinch. I guess it just got it all in my head because its driving awesome right now. Even when I first got it with stock components it wasn't this stable and stayed in its lane this well. Steering is tight and lane bounce is gone. Going to drive it up to Townsend some time soon and have the guys at Elias do an inspection anyways, gotta give them a call, I'll definitely be taking the freeway though

Oh and a new small problem actually surfaced that's really annoying but I think it will be easy to deal with. Small and consistent popping noise coming from the steering column and its definitely inside the Jeep right under the dash. Going through and greasing the intermediate shaft tomorrow and make sure its gone because that is the only noise my Jeep is making now

Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.