CompCrasher's 01 WJ Ltd - Page 172 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > CompCrasher's 01 WJ Ltd

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 06-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #2566
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Alright all, I need a bit of help. I am reinstalling the stock A-arm but the ball joint is loose. Alas I have a new ball joint. A-arm is out of Jeep and I've separated the old ball joint from the arm but now I'm stuck.

Stock ball joint is pressed into the bracket, new ball joint does not have a bracket. Need to press old ball joint out and new ball joint in. I've got hand tools, a vice, and access to rental tools at autozone. Anybody know what I need to do this? I want to give the next owner a nice fresh ball joint in the rear (I know I'm too nice).
Uploading to photobucket again because JF photo upload is dead

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #2567
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Any reason a normal ball joint press won't work?
Unread 06-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #2568
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squashman702 View Post
Any reason a normal ball joint press won't work?
Michael suggested that, the ball joint base looks a bit big but I might give that a go if there isn't another way, I just hate my local Autozone because it takes them a good week or two to credit my tool deposit back but thats probably what'll happen. I tossed a post on facebook to see if any of my buddies have a press so we'll see.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
Unread 06-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #2569
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Meaning the jaw won't be wide enough to reach the joint?

If that's the case, somewhere with a normal shop press should be able to take care of pressing out the old one and installing the new in a few minutes. Shouldn't cost you too much- probably about the same as renting the press from the parts store.
Unread 06-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #2570
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Meaning the jaw won't be wide enough to reach the joint?

If that's the case, somewhere with a normal shop press should be able to take care of pressing out the old one and installing the new in a few minutes. Shouldn't cost you too much- probably about the same as renting the press from the parts store.
The one I used for my front ball joints looked like a large C-clamp and it had a variety of cups and sleeves on it. I'm not sure if the receiving cups are going to be large enough to accept the ball joint when I press it out. I'll give it a check though. I know a couple of my friends have shop presses so I'm waiting to see if they reply to my facebook post. Waiting game! Maybe not getting all the new parts on just today though weather is taking a turn for the worse.

Matt
Unread 06-18-2013, 08:30 PM   #2571
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Got the press and it made childs play of the ball joint. But much to my demise I can't get the new one in. I had the hardest time in the world trying to get the new one alligned and going in straight. First time I tried it went in at a slight angle and I backed it off and tried readjusting and fixing it, and then in the process applied too much force and cracked my vice (really sad about that, that bench was a family hand down type of thing). Then tried my other vice and the thing kept slipping and still couldn't get it in right. Then tried applying heat and that went downhill. It boiled down to not being able to hold everything straight and apply square enough force (think, applying clockwise torque on the clamp) to get it to line up properly.

/rantoff I just ordered this off amazon prime and it will be here friday *hrmph*

Oh by the way if somebody wants that brand new moog ball joint and the plate and thinks they can press it on PM me and you can come pick it up at my house for $0. No I will not ship it.

Matt
Unread 06-20-2013, 10:57 PM   #2572
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

New A-arm ball joint coming tomorrow. Meanwhile I decided to pay attention to some details. When I pull the suspension apart again I need to look into a popping noise, drivers side floorpan area after braking on a right hand turn. Weird stuff. Normal driving nothing out of the ordinary. I also took today to clean up my oxidized headlight. Did 1500 grit sanding sponge and then some Meguiars plastx and it looks 10x better already, but still some higher grit paper is needed because a couple scratches still there from the pad. Also got some touch-up paint, smoothed out some of the small chips and scrapes and that was another tenfold improvement, exterior looks great right now.

Interior got a full vaccuum and shampoo and the Interior is now proper colored again (I went back to the sandstone seats and door panels). Working on that damn ball joint and suspension this weekend.

Matt
Unread 06-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #2573
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

This showed up (back to using photobucket again by the way):

Because of this failure:

Matt
Unread 06-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #2574
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Almost done taking off the lift! Just have the A-arm left and torquing down all the CA bolts and TB bolt. To those who have messaged me interested in parts I will be getting back to you soon!

Matt
Unread 06-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #2575
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Back down on stock suspension and everything is tightened up. Maybe I'm blinded by the Bilsteins and stiffer springs but this Jeep is a slob on the road. I guess people with stock Jeeps like that? I need to go over everything once more though the steering inspires no confidence and feels very uncontrolled over bumps. I will not take this Jeep on the highway until I figure out its in my head or something is wrong.

Edit: Should also mention that I have just today tested and verified the intergrity of all ball joints, bearing hubs, and all tie rod ends. There appears to be no new marks around the trackbar hole but as per reccomendation of a friend I think I may be bumping the torque spec up from factory 85 to 120. Boy are things harder to get to without the lift on, how in the world do they expect you to get to the UCA bushings bolts up front?! My front end is up on stands right now so I'm going to pop off the SS and when my brother is around drop it down on the ground and feel for popping or play as he turns the wheel.

Matt
Unread 06-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #2576
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Do you have a rough idea of what you might want for it once it's all back to stock? GF is in the market for a new vehicle and is sort of considering a WJ.
Unread 06-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #2577
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

So I think I'm going to send my Jeep off to Lou at Elias 4wd, he has a great reputation and specializes in Jeeps and I want him to look everything over and make sure everything is well on my Jeep. I'm just a bit paranoid about selling it to somebody without making sure its 100%, you know?

Quote:
Do you have a rough idea of what you might want for it once it's all back to stock? GF is in the market for a new vehicle and is sort of considering a WJ.
I'll let you know once it's been looked over and assessed but I am going to list it on the local craigslist for 6. I'm going to be pretty negotiable to the educated buyer though, especially JF. Only a couple things left including getting it alligned and inspected, fixing a door trim piece, and getting the ash tray back in place. If my guy comes back and says the tires are no good I might put on a new set of all-seasons but then I'm going to be more firm on the price. I noticed JF wasn't really all too interested in buying lifted WJs right now so I'm trying to appeal to the normal consumer market now.

Matt
Unread 06-25-2013, 05:44 PM   #2578
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Finally got around to finishing up those headlights. 1000 grit wet sand

2000 grit wet sand

2 applications of meguiars PlastX.

Its not quite brand new but the improvement is massive and I got a good 20% light output back at night.

Matt
Unread 06-25-2013, 05:56 PM   #2579
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86
So I think I'm going to send my Jeep off to Lou at Elias 4wd, he has a great reputation and specializes in Jeeps and I want him to look everything over and make sure everything is well on my Jeep. I'm just a bit paranoid about selling it to somebody without making sure its 100%, you know?

I'll let you know once it's been looked over and assessed but I am going to list it on the local craigslist for 6. I'm going to be pretty negotiable to the educated buyer though, especially JF. Only a couple things left including getting it alligned and inspected, fixing a door trim piece, and getting the ash tray back in place. If my guy comes back and says the tires are no good I might put on a new set of all-seasons but then I'm going to be more firm on the price. I noticed JF wasn't really all too interested in buying lifted WJs right now so I'm trying to appeal to the normal consumer market now.
What's the current mileage? She'd probably be more interested towards the end of the summer if you're looking for 6. She doesn't have that much saved at this point. She talked about a WJ again today though without me bringing it up. She might be a keeper haha.
Unread 06-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #2580
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
What's the current mileage? She'd probably be more interested towards the end of the summer if you're looking for 6. She doesn't have that much saved at this point. She talked about a WJ again today though without me bringing it up. She might be a keeper haha.
126,6xx. I'm probably looking to unload it end of July or early August but if the market isn't too good I might hold on to it until Thanksgiving, when everyone decides they want something with 4x4 and nobody wants a RWD beemer . I think right now everything is pretty well taken care of but I'll update the build thread when I hear back from Elias 4WD in Townsend. I'm probably going to set up an appointment for next week. I had it up to 50 the other day and hit a drain on the side of the road and no wobbles or shimmies just a bit of feedback in the steering wheel. I haven't driven a stock WJ in forever so I'm just a bit paranoid and all as to how its "supposed to feel".

PS sounds like your girl has the bug and she doesn't even have one yet!

Matt

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.