CompCrasher's 01 WJ Ltd - Page 169 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > CompCrasher's 01 WJ Ltd

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-15-2013, 11:58 AM   #2521
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000
Yeah, new shoes and hardware in there and it should work just fine again. And hey, you could do it now. It's 70* outside
Low priority, nothing's going to get worse if I leave it till summer. Jeep work gets done if it needs it otherwise school takes priority and free time is cherished. Can't let these vehicles own you and once I figured that out my ownership of it got a lot easier.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #2522
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

And guys, do NOT pull That handle harder to compensate for the bad e brake,
i did, wire snaped right off,,,,
Anyways, no hand brake on mine either
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 03:13 PM   #2523
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I did the same thing parked on a fairly steep bit of trail. It's kind of a PITA to replace as well - you have to pull the rear seat and at least one of the front seats as well as pull up the carpet and the center console.

The good news is that the part was pretty cheap for the center cable.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #2524
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

^^^Sounds fun, is there no way to Go around this to make it easier, pulling half the interior just for That little wire seems a bit overkill!?
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Unread 04-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #2525
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Nope. It goes from inside the center console under the carpet, under the backseat, then it meets up with a little T-junction which connects it to the two cables going back to the individual sides of the rear axle. It's best to check under the back seat and see where the break is. If any one of the three cables snaps, you have no parking brake at all.

I should add that it is also bolted to the floor under the carpet, and all of the goodies under the back seat (amps and control modules) have to come out too.
Unread 04-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #2526
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

My break Are all the way in front at the handle side, only need to change the one going from handle > T junction under rear Seat, seems like a little project, anyway thx for That info Billz, Thumbsup

Unread 04-18-2013, 11:10 PM   #2527
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Onboard amp in the Mopar sub really got on my nerves (bad inductor whine) so I decided to up the power a bit. So there's a scosche LOC under the rear seat stuffed next to the amp and my Polk PA600.1 is taking care of that JBL 8 just fine. That box really is so wrong though, it's not "bolted down" so it really just loses so much of the deeper stuff. Ah well I still got a notable improvement from it. Amp doesn't even get warm to the touch and I've used it down there before so its found a home once again. Music sounds good, nice and punchy now. No resonance, sounds good.
image-3486338732.jpg   image-1483892321.jpg   image-1217802270.jpg  

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
Unread 04-21-2013, 01:33 PM   #2528
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I'm going to try again with this whole selling thing and see what happens. If anybody following this is really interested in my WJ give me a shout out: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f153/.../#post15326957

I was at Watkins Glen opening weekend the other day and cruised down there with a large number of performance automotive enthusiasts. I rode in a club member's M3 engine swapped E36 318 and I was really impressed, it was so much fun even from the passenger seat. I'd like to get more involved with that scene and I really can't do that with my Jeep. I don't need anything that crazy but I'd like to start making moves now that summer is coming up and I'll be okay not having a car for a month or two so I can sort things out. Prospective cars right now are E36 328is and E46 325(i/ci)

Matt
Unread 04-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #2529
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

If you're between those 2, I'd get the 328is. Nicer stock suspension and probably a little cheaper too, which leaves more money for fixes / mods.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 10:37 AM   #2530
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Just go with an E46 330Ci. Fantastic buy on the used-car market right now. The thing with the E36 328 is that they really choked the engine down. It makes 30 more tqs but only 6 more hp (IIRC) than the 325 it replaced. And then the E46 325 made less power than the E36 325.

E36 330 is where it's at. Better buy than an E36 M3 these days. And who cares about the stock suspension? If you are doing track days you won't be using it, and you get other upgrades like considerably larger brakes which are just pads-away from being track-day-capable.
Unread 04-22-2013, 11:06 AM   #2531
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

My point on the stock suspension is that it's good enough on the E36 IS that he could worry about other upgrades first and do the suspension later, rather than it being soft enough to annoy him right off the bat.
Unread 04-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #2532
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I would take an E46 330 without hesitation but they are a good bit out of my budget which is hovering around 5-6 right now (also factoring in ~600 or so for registration title and sales tax). A well maintained 328 e36 can be found in that price range but it seems like 99% are convertibles or auto trans, so the options are tight. I considered a small car payment on a nicer car but parents seemed quite against the idea and do not want to cosign with me (read: I have no credit). Also was looking at E46 325's but at that point I think I'd be paying more only for a better interior and slower engine, whereas all I really want is a smaller more nimble car with tighter suspension and better aero. Rode in an S52 swapped e36 318 with coilovers this past weekend and... Wow. That's all I can say.

Edit: Actuallllly after doing some searching a couple 330s have popped up with just over 120k and in my price range so maybe hope is not lost. I think when I get home I'm going to check out all of the deals, test drive around till I fall in love, and make my mind up then.

Matt
Unread 04-29-2013, 08:33 PM   #2533
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Its pretty quiet over here. After overhauling the cooling system my Jeep has been running extraordinarily well. Coolant is clean, engine runs at perfect temp, holds good pressure. Tested out the AC the other day and it was still ice cold. Nice! I am looking to sell it but I'm really glad that I can advertise that it is in good shape.

Matt
Unread 05-21-2013, 01:39 AM   #2534
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Jynxed it! I best leave well enough alone. Did a tire rotation and checked my allignment, near 0 toe maybe even 1/16 out (huh) so I adjusted to 1/16 in and felt much better, steering effort reduced stability around town felt better. Felt fine on a quick highway run. Fast-forward 200 miles or so I get on the highway it just didn't felt right, steering felt almost, notchy? So 30 miles in and I hit a bridge joint and Jeep goes into DW, awesome! Pulled over, tightened a loose TRE nut (holes were drilled too high so the cotter pins don't really do anything) and checked control arm bolts, trackbar, and ball joints, nice and tight. It was just as bad. Pulled over again and went back to old alignment. Better, but anything more than 50 over a bump and I'd still get DW. At this point I was a mess, pulled over and cooled down, then limped my Jeep home doing 45-50 the whole way, there wasn't another option I just had to make it home. Under 50 it seemed very stable occasionally getting some shakes that I could cool down with the brakes.

SO obviously something isn't right. I'm personally committed to buy a new car so if somebody wants a Jeep with DW and all these goodies, 4.5 right now. Being real, nobodies interested so lets figure out a gameplan. Believe it or not, its worth more stock, nobody wants a project. So the lift stuff has to come off. That might mask the DW but thats not good enough for me, I can't sell it normally until I feel better about the front end. Not sure if the moog TREs are compromised at this point, they may be (or they may be the cause who knows?) but I'm not sure how to test them. Heres the list!
  • New trackbar bushings (source anybody?)
  • New stock front control arms
  • New wheel bearing hubs (Timken)
  • Passenger side ball joints (brand suggestion?)
  • Back to stock rear a-arm (new balljoint)

After doing everything in the above list and being at stock height, everything is getting torqued to spec and I'm giving it a couple hundred highway miles just to make sure it drives right. I wont say DW is dead until I know everything is replaced tight and reliable. And I'm sure with a fresh front end it will drive amazing. Also I have three new precision u-joints for the driveshafts I plan on tossing in as well. After that, I'm relisting it and hopefully somebody will bite. Its a great car but I don't need an SUV and I'm putting good money into it and its not a car I have a lot of fun driving. I've already personally committed to buying another car so hopefully I can get a quick turnaround on my Jeep, the market is tough though.

Matt
Unread 05-21-2013, 05:41 AM   #2535
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

To check the TREs, have a friend wiggle the steering wheel back and forth (with significant force) while you watch for play. If any of them show any movement, they're shot.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.