CompCrasher's 01 WJ Ltd - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > CompCrasher's 01 WJ Ltd

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 08-12-2011, 10:04 PM   #211
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

lol its really all about patience. You can see where I took my time and where I was saying "okay forget sanding its 3am I'm going to bed" Mounting up tomorrow hopefully

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2011, 01:52 AM   #212
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Aaaannnnd it's ON! the front at least. Still need to wire sidemarkers and drill lock pin hole. I'm having trouble getting it up high enough theres too much gap IMO

Took a bunch of pics but this'll hold y'all over

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
Unread 08-14-2011, 06:53 AM   #213
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Sweet! What time are you coming down tomorrow?
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #214
alwaysHI
2003 WJ 

**** yeah!!!
alwaysHI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2011, 09:36 PM   #215
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

nobody really takes pics during their ARB installs so I figured I would. alot of them lol

sorted all of the hardware out... helped me out a ton during the install

took front grille off... three screws in grille four screws on top

took front bumper cover off... two hex screws (3/8?) on edges of bumper where meets fender, a couple push pins underneath, and the wheelwell liner rivets need to be cut then the bumper cover slides straight off. Then cover up your paint on the front end

spray painted black so that no white shows through ARB vents

uncovered

I found my grille was perfectly sturdy without the backing thats attached to the bumper... so I just went with it. Screw it back in

Take your time here and really flatten the lip out.... I didnt and it costed me... my ARB is about 5mm below where it should be and its really bothering me because I didnt flatten this lip out enough and the bracket is sitting at an angle. I need to take my ARB off eventually and redo this part

If you have a front skid unbolt the front bolts and loosen the rears so it droops a bit because ARB bracket sandwiches in between front skid bracket and frame. Good planning on ARBs part that the brackets are compatible. You'll need 15mm socket here

If you have factory tow hooks... remove them now. The ARB brackets will replace them and have a 3/8" hole for D-rings/recovery if you're worried about losing recovery

Clamp up the bracket with a vise grip. itll kinda fit itself around the frame access lip

insert the captive nut plate where your tow hook bolts would be

start to thread bolts from underneath do not tighten

drill two holes in front bumper like so... using bracket as template

while tightening bolts through the holes into the backing plate provided by ARB... please dont overtighten... I did. Be aware the fit is very iffy

For some reason I had to eventually drill the bolt out to free the threads... annoying

bolts with backing plate

tighten down bolts for mounting brackets

lift and mount with four bolts... get a couple helping hands!

once the ARB is adjusted drill the "lock bolt" hole in the ARB bumper. I havent done this yet because I'm not done adjusting my bumper

bolt up the wheel well liner (one hole on bottom must be drilled upper reuses existing hole

go underneath and fold up hanging wheel well liner and use self tappers screwed into pilot holes

(continued below)

Matt
Unread 08-14-2011, 09:39 PM   #216
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

my ARB was used and had strobes instead of regular bulbs so I had to buy the following

notched the housing out with a dremel

nice fit

tapped into the lower right parking light (the one that stays on independent of turn signal action (didnt want my clearance markers flashing)

grounded clearance markers to the header panel torx screws

beautiful

nice at night

Matt
Unread 08-14-2011, 09:46 PM   #217
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

later this week... KCs being wired up and C4x4 rear tire carrier install :P

Matt
Unread 08-14-2011, 10:16 PM   #218
bigdog101

Looks awesome man! And that mileage vid was great. We just took my brothers zj up to his collage, and cruising, we got better milage than our parents van...it was hilarious.
bigdog101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2011, 10:21 PM   #219
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog101 View Post
Looks awesome man! And that mileage vid was great. We just took my brothers zj up to his collage, and cruising, we got better milage than our parents van...it was hilarious.
Thanks man, those numbers probably wont be seen again haha with the ARB and everything the aero is pretty tweaked now... the added weight doesnt help either but the way I think about it I'll just allow one less person in the jeep to even it out

Matt
Unread 08-14-2011, 10:32 PM   #220
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

It looks great, and I can tell you put a lot of work into it. I like your methods. Do it right and do it once. It's a shame with the mounting being off, but you learn as you go. You'll get it ironed out. Best of luck.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2011, 10:35 PM   #221
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

yeah man its what happens when you rush one part of it haha thanks for the encouragement I need to justify all the hours put into this Jeep somehow... Actual install time was only 3hrs for me including the broken bolt... if it means anything to people. ARB estimates 3-5hrs

good news bout the alligment is its not hard to fix I just need to re-motivate myself to lift that bumper off and get in there with a sledge lol

Matt
Unread 08-14-2011, 10:41 PM   #222
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

That looks great, can't wait to see the other half go on! The paint turned out really nice, and the new marker lights look great.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2011, 11:51 PM   #223
RekindledAshes
1993 ZJ 

That ARB is beautiful! Well done!
RekindledAshes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2011, 05:06 PM   #224
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

put just about 400mi on the WJ over the past two days goin down to visit Rob. Air dam and refolding fender liners seems to have eliminated nasty wind noises also my highway mileage didnt take too hard of a hit the vic says 24 and my math says about 22ish so I think thats good, I thought my Jeep was going to turn into an aero nightmare.

Matt
Unread 08-16-2011, 10:25 PM   #225
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

These are in.... rear tire carrier is not rusty at all so painting should be a cinch

Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.