CompCrasher's 01 WJ Ltd - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > CompCrasher's 01 WJ Ltd

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 08-05-2011, 07:56 PM   #166
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

the thing is built SOLID. Kudos to ARB for making a top of the line bumper. Its pretty heavy. I'm pretty strong and I was really feeling the burn carrying this thing across the yard... the rear bumper is another story... its about 50lbs heavier I'd say and that thing could survive a small IED. It took three strong guys to lift it out of the PO's truck and two of us carrying it across the lawn. Custom 4x4 Fab definitely gets 4 stars on the rear bumper. I'll give everything a full review when I'm done but the rear bumper is amazing. The hinge for the tire carrier was well thought out and has a greasable zerk fitting. I do not like the way the latch works but it does work and when kept well WD-40'd it seems to operate flawlessly. If the latch was better the rear tire carrier would be 5 star.

I took off the Hi-Lift mount bar because I dont have a hi-lift and its one less thing to paint/rust/etc. I might put it back on and use it for a CB antenna mount, we'll see. I took the cheesy chrome license plate cover off the rear and found out I actually wanna salvage it. Build quality seems solid (solid alluminum) and the light is actually an incandescent (no cheesy autozone LED crud) so I'm going to sand and paint it black so it will blend in with the bumper as much as possible.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2011, 10:29 PM   #167
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Dang that bumper looks legit! I am on the line with the light guards. But the bumper itself is so legit
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2011, 10:34 PM   #168
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Looking sexy man!
Plenty of lights
1stblack97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2011, 12:02 AM   #169
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
Dang that bumper looks legit! I am on the line with the light guards. But the bumper itself is so legit
I think you'll find that they look better once its all bolted up tight alligned well with the headlights... unfortunately theres not really much of an option to kill off the light guards short of a saw-zall lol. I like them, and the center bar has tabs for mounting lights or a CB antenna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stblack97ZJ View Post
Looking sexy man!
thanks, I cant wait to have that bumper up there full time, I had it sitting there on the jack for a good hour staring at it and taking pictures and stuff haha

I had the bumper out of the shed so I figured I'd catch up on some prep work. Sanded off the crappy rattle can job the previous owner did and found out why he did it. Found some nasty little rust spots had to sand down to bare metal and a bit beyond to get rid of one or two of them. Almost rust free though and I'm going to treat remaining areas with POR-15 and then run a rust primer over and then a general primer then it looks like I'm going for satin black paint and if I dont like the way that looks I'm going to jump to Rustoleum textured. As one of my friends mentioned, bedlining it would make it look like a roided out trail rig... which it really isnt right now.

In the pics you can see the ARB original powdercoat looks 500x better than the PO's spraycan crap

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
Unread 08-06-2011, 09:27 AM   #170
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

That looks sweet! Now trade the WJ for the BMW and $, buy a V8 WJ, keep the BMW for a few months, then sell it to me
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2011, 09:42 AM   #171
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Hahaha rob I think I'm still about a year or two away from that deal I won't sell my WJ until I have enough money to buy a new one first so I can have both side by side while I switch parts over. As of now there's no real reason I wanna get rid of it just eventually when I have a steady job that extra 2 cylinders would be a nice touch

Matt
Unread 08-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #172
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

$6k and a BMW is too good a deal to pass up. If you sell the XJ too, you'd have $7500 - 8000 to buy a V8 WJ, which would get you a pretty nice one (possibly 4.7 HO). Plus, in a few months, when I have the $$$, I'd be looking to buy the BMW from you, which means more money for mods. I like E36 BMWs.
Unread 08-06-2011, 12:32 PM   #173
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Stroke and Bore the 4.0 to a 4.7+ Liter and have more power then a v8? (Build the 42re too)
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 08-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #174
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

^ I've been telling him to put a boosted stroker in it, but he doesn't want to deal with an engine build.
Unread 08-06-2011, 03:09 PM   #175
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000
^ I've been telling him to put a boosted stroker in it, but he doesn't want to deal with an engine build.
Get a stroker and blow it ;P

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 08-06-2011, 05:34 PM   #176
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

ugh I hate engine work... its messy, its hard to work in the engine bay, everything has to be torqued specifically, and theres tolerances. I hate tolerances. As an engineer in study you'd think I'd love engine work but I dont. To me the engine is part of the foundation of the Jeep, I'd rather build off a better foundation than spend all my time and money pimping out my foundation.

Anywho... got shipping info for my brackets... all the stuff should be in August 10 but I'm leaving on the 10th for 3 days so I'll install them that saturday before I go down to visit Rob (comptiger) that monday when hes finishing his engine work. In short... 1 week till ARB and C4x4 Bumper go on

Matt
Unread 08-06-2011, 07:11 PM   #177
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

the rust made me kind of edgy so I layed on the POR-15... will be priming in a day or two once por15 is totally cured

Matt
Unread 08-06-2011, 07:14 PM   #178
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

I hate rust...
Plenty of lights
1stblack97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2011, 12:04 AM   #179
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I think after these bumpers I'm going to try and put all other mods on hold and save up for this: http://www.rocky-road.com/wjtrailblazer.html. If somebody buys my XJ... itll happen by thanksgiving break

it looks amazing....

Matt
Unread 08-07-2011, 12:12 AM   #180
Kramer H
Built and Supercharged 47

2001 WJ 

Engine building isn't hard at all, but stroke it or boost it, not both. when you stroke you raise your compression ratio, that's exactly what you don't want when boosting. If anything, lowering the compression ratio is the way to go when adding boost. I like na motors, but I got a steal on my charger so what the hell. Enjoy the arb! I love mine.
K8 GSXR 1000- Racefit,Comp Werks,Puig,Woodcraft,B2 Industries,55W HID'S, R&G Engineering, Two brothers, ASV, DDM, "The pantie dropper"
Kramer H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.