CompCrasher's 01 WJ Ltd - Page 104 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > CompCrasher's 01 WJ Ltd

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsECGS Labor Day Sale!!New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 03-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #1546
malibubts
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86 View Post
Heyyy man thanks for checkin it out. I try and remember to take a ton of pics when I do something, having a decent camera on my phone makes that nice and easy plus they'll upload straight to Jeepforum. It really was not hard at all the way the soft line was located it was begging me to do this mod. I'd say all and all it took me about an hour... maybe two actually... but it should only take an hour for somebody with the right tools and some common sense. Even less if you follow my pictures haha. A chunk of my time was spent planning it out and finding good ways to route or mount stuff. Actually most of my time was honestly trying to get the soft line off the factory hard lines because mine was being a pain. Channel locks twisting it helped with that. Also the second hardest part was getting the new hoses on the factory hard lines. I dipped the tip of each hose in the puddle of ATF in my drip pan preemptively which definitely helped it out a bit.

I ended up going with an autozone brand "Compressor works" part 911676. It ran me about $40 plus a couple bucks for the extra hose. When I picked up the cooler it turned out to be a really nice solid Torqflo Plate and fin style, I was not dissapointed at all
Sounds good. With the towing I do and an untouched stock 42re at 209K, I'm hoping I'll be able to squeeze some more life out of the tranny with it. It looked pretty straightforward, I can see the planning taking just as much time as actually setting it up. How did you connect the soft line after the new trans cooler to the soft line intake for the trans? Just a barb fitting?

Unread 03-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #1547
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

The BushWacker Fenders should look awesome! I am assuming they are doing them front and rear. Matt, that was such a deal that you can't pass up. Back up if someone were to hit you (shouldn't have said that... lol)

Too bad those Seats weren't gray!!
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #1548
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibubts View Post
Sounds good. With the towing I do and an untouched stock 42re at 209K, I'm hoping I'll be able to squeeze some more life out of the tranny with it. It looked pretty straightforward, I can see the planning taking just as much time as actually setting it up. How did you connect the soft line after the new trans cooler to the soft line intake for the trans? Just a barb fitting?
Yeah definitely a nice easy mod that your tranny will appreciate. So what I did is the factory soft line I pulled off was only a couple inches long so I pulled off both ends of it so you have a barb on the radiator output that goes into your new trans cooler and then you have another barb right there next to the oil pan that I slipped the output from the new cooler right onto

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 09:31 PM   #1549
malibubts
2002 WJ 

Wow, duh. I can't believe that didn't come to me after looking at the pictures.
Unread 03-19-2012, 10:24 PM   #1550
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibubts View Post
Wow, duh. I can't believe that didn't come to me after looking at the pictures.
No problem man, I'm glad to help people out with this I was very skeptical bout doing it at first but the WJ is realllllly easy to access these lines from underneath. I'm thinking I wouldnt mind eventually getting a sender to put inline with that second soft line you see in the background (thats the fluid coming out of the trans) so I can mount a gauge up in my dash and get an idea of what my trans is running for temps.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
Unread 03-19-2012, 11:42 PM   #1551
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

I can not remember if the app and OBDII reader I had had a transmission temperature reading...
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 03-20-2012, 12:47 AM   #1552
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
I can not remember if the app and OBDII reader I had had a transmission temperature reading...
I doubt it'll read tranny temp only coolant temp b/c I think all the computer knows is overheat or not overheat based on what I can find in the FSM. If it does that'd be pretty tight. I know my mom's escalade has a tranny temp right in the EVIC in the middle of the gauges, awesome for towing. I'm not too worried about tranny overheating anymore after doing some good bit of driving hard and stuff the cooler is getting nice and warm but not OMG hot so I know its doing its job. True test will be me towing the boat around this summer in 80-90+ weather. With a cooler and probably a shift kit in early summer I'm not too worried. Oh and I'll definitely be installing a sender in that other soft line location Believe it or not I can actually get everything I need at work (plumbing, sender, and a nice teleflex gauge) so that'll be perfect and I can save some bux instead of paying out my rear for the B&M kit.

Matt
Unread 03-21-2012, 10:21 AM   #1553
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Got mah fenders... There's one rough spot on it but ya know what for $30 and I'm intending to hack them up I couldn't break the sale for that! They have the gold pinstripe sticker which I'll be working on getting off and I'm just going to hit that chip with some touch up paint but it's not a dent so that's good. Any rust is going to be either chopped off or sanded down and bedlined. See the thing is the paint except for that one spot is in awesome shape and I'm sure will shine up as well as the rest of my jeep (they're pretty grimy and dirty in the pics) My storage location is a bit unconventional
image-1301902962.jpg   image-1849361704.jpg   image-1690110189.jpg   image-1253586899.jpg   image-507953897.jpg  

Matt
Unread 03-21-2012, 10:23 AM   #1554
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Hahaha I was scrolling down, all is good, ooo paint chip, oooo some rust, WHAT BATH TUB?! So funny!

That paint chip will buff out, put some wax on it!

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 03-21-2012, 10:32 AM   #1555
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07
Hahaha I was scrolling down, all is good, ooo paint chip, oooo some rust, WHAT BATH TUB?! So funny!

That paint chip will buff out, put some wax on it!
The pics actually make it look worse than it is... No dents so I can use my touch up paint and it'll look good and the paint itself just is dirty I wiped a small bit off and the paint looks fine. The rust is kinda ehhhhhhh but I'm going to be sanding it down a ton and bed lining that area anyways so it doesn't matter I realized.

Matt
Unread 03-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #1556
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

They should clean up pretty nicely and then the touch up paint. They since we have magical car detail skills. That is all you need!

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 03-23-2012, 12:14 AM   #1557
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

After you clean off the surface rust, spray the bare metal with a rust inhibiting primer. You can get it in spray cans now...They may even sell that stuff at Home Depot now IIRC. It is worth it, and will help stop the rust growth.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 12:37 AM   #1558
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85IrocZ-28
After you clean off the surface rust, spray the bare metal with a rust inhibiting primer. You can get it in spray cans now...They may even sell that stuff at Home Depot now IIRC. It is worth it, and will help stop the rust growth.
I've got a bottle of por-15 I'm gunna hit it up with then use some of that primer covered by Bedliner... Oughta hold up good enough for a cheap fender I mean hey for what I paid I can't complain if they were pink. They cleaned up nicely. Now the bad news. The pinstripe is under the clear coat. How I'll deal with it is to be determined...
image-3183526874.jpg   image-1932490699.jpg   image-3227177165.jpg  

Matt
Unread 03-23-2012, 01:32 AM   #1559
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Do you not have a pin stripe on your WJ??

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 03-23-2012, 01:54 AM   #1560
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07
Do you not have a pin stripe on your WJ??
No pin stripes are tacky :P

Matt

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.