CompCrasher's 01 WJ Ltd - Page 102 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > CompCrasher's 01 WJ Ltd

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 03-17-2012, 09:38 AM   #1516
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Cutting the metal lines can be a little scary haha.

And ericthecarguy is a boss. Dude is great!

~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #1517
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Cutting the metal lines is no big deal for the tranny cooler. Keep in mind, the cooler lines aren't under much pressure, so having a rubber hose clamped to a non-flared piece of metal works fine (mine have been done like that for 2 full years, not a single leak), and they're accessible enough to work with (removing the fan shroud probably helps a lot on a WJ).
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2012, 04:35 PM   #1518
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Roommate was doing battery cables so I did too... Ended up completely gutting the factory high current harness and rebuilding it from scratch routing it differently under the battery tray

Edit: alternator now runs to battery with 1/0 was 6awg to PDC. Starter now runs to battery with 2awg was 6awg, PDC now runs to the battery with dual 6awg (temporary till I get home) and the block is still 6awg to the battery. Body ground runs to battery with 1/0 was 6awg. I ran out of wire and have a ton more at home which is why the PDC and block grounds are the way they are. I did duals on the PDC to account for having the alternator going to the battery and not directly to the PDC but that will be replaced with 2ga and the block ground will be 1/0. I eventually wouldn't mind doing the starter to 1/0 but that's a Long run and I had a lot of extra 2ga laying around. Everything professionally crimped and heat shrunken and wire loomed with what I had left ill be cable managing some more lately but rerunning everything under the battery tray cleaned that area up real nicely. Jeep started AWESOME when I tried it out and that was a cold (well hey it was 70* out) so I imagine she's much happier now that old wiring was crap and thick stranded in comparison I used weld cable for the 1/0 and Ancor brand marine tinned copper for the 2ga. Used my portable field crimper and adhesive lined heat shrink everywhere. Very happy with the results. Oh and now both terminals are marine conversion posts I'll be replacing the wing nuts with regular nuts soon
image-2926875003.jpg   image-3070665028.jpg   image-419614576.jpg   image-1383828835.jpg   image-2992321343.jpg  

image-3681802464.jpg   image-3271800493.jpg   image-3588678499.jpg   image-2173723173.jpg   image-2346933328.jpg  

image-944926269.jpg   image-1617223603.jpg   image-3799136657.jpg   image-340761972.jpg  

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2012, 05:11 PM   #1519
Poseidon
2002 WJ 

I remember having a Stereo that required wire that size, back to the trunk! Looks like you had a great day in the SUNSHINE!
Poseidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2012, 05:17 PM   #1520
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yeahhhh I do have a 4ga run to the trunk I've been all hush hush about but it's not being used right now, just kind of waiting there until I decide what to throw in for a system, it won't be anything crazy. What mistake most people make is they run that nice thick positive to the trunk for their equipment, and then just ground it to the body right at the equipment. This is fine... But everybody always forgets to upgrade that thin wimpy 6ga that connects the battery to body ground, so they're pushing all the current of that big loud setup trough those tiny factory body ground wires. That's why I did mine with 1/0, so I can ground just about anything to the body.

Also it was BEAUTIFUL today... I tried to keep drinkin but I have a dehydration headache now, gotta get myself all hydrated again. Happy st patties day all!

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
Unread 03-17-2012, 09:18 PM   #1521
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

That looks like a really great job you did there man! Got to love all the stuff that is running off the battery looks pro! :P Oh and I wondered what that was down there, guess I was right, it was the starter! haha.

Need to get some more bass going in the trunk! :P
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 03-18-2012, 12:05 AM   #1522
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

haha I love my system how it is now but if I could cut out the lower end from the door speakers and distribute that to a trunk sub erhem cough mopar box sitting at home.... I just need a littttle more low end and that'll relieve the door speakers a bit. I dont wanna overpower the boston acoustics with bass (that'd be heresy) so I'll probably end up wiring one of my 10s up to 8ohms load for higher internal damping and crisper hits (vs "shake tha Jeep dun der ghetto bass speaker beatz"). I was in high school once, I went through the subwoofer phase in the XJ... I had dual 10s wired down to 1ohm and it was enough noise to turn heads as I drove by. I went through that in about half a year and Im beyond it... now I just want my music to sound awesome.

Matt
Unread 03-18-2012, 12:13 AM   #1523
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Take some of the low ends out of the doors so it can produce the mids without being as muddy. Doubt they are muddy cause they are really nice. But you get what I am saying. A single 10 would do you good and give you what you are looking for IMHO. Balanced quality system. Can't ask for more! I turn more heads with my fricken mechanical fan then I do my audio. I swear. First gear on a cold start at 2500 rpms, that thing roars! Then I guess I can turn up the bass too!

That mopar box is a gem. But I think you could sell it (isn't it for an 8 inch shallow mount??) For a good amount of cash too. Then just get yourself a simple sealed box that matches the cubic feet that you need. And just tuck it to one side. I need to do what Jamie (akrobatics) did and get a custom fiberglass box made.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 03-18-2012, 01:07 AM   #1524
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Interesting point. The box is an 8 inch which would have to be modified if I use it but it also benefits from conforming perfectly to the seatback and the rear security cover sits into an indent in it. Then it has two anchors on each side that hold it down but they're easy to remove. Then I get the cargo pocket on one side that will fit a small tool bag and misc stuff and then on the other side is the hole for the sub. I know I've posted it hundreds of times before but you basically get to retain your entire trunk its pretty awesome:

I would consider selling it but I wont be putting in more power than that enclosure can handle and this box comes with factory style connectors and the latches that hold it down are easy to take off. I could get a small box (what I have now) but this seems to blend in better and gives me extra storage as well... also keeps the nice rectangular shape of the trunk area instead of having a box plopped to one side. Jamie's box is really nice but from an acoustics standpoint I dont think firing the bass off at the window and the roof will do much more than vibrate the Jeep whereas the mopar box sets it at a perfect height to reflect off the trunk and glass back towards the front.

Matt
Unread 03-18-2012, 01:08 AM   #1525
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I would consider selling it but I wont be putting in more power than that enclosure can handle and this box comes with factory style connectors and the latches that hold it down are easy to take off. I could get a small box (what I have now) but this seems to blend in better and gives me extra storage as well... also keeps the nice rectangular shape of the trunk area instead of having a box plopped to one side. Jamie's box is really nice but from an acoustics standpoint I dont think firing the bass off at the window and the roof will do much more than vibrate the Jeep whereas the mopar box sets it at a perfect height to reflect off the trunk and glass back towards the front.

Matt
Unread 03-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #1526
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

That is such a sweet box and a JL 8 inch would probably kick it pretty good. What is it made out of and does the back of the box slop with the backseats? It also looks like you can still use your cargo shade/cover thing. I use that all the time to cover the subs. I am going to black out the rest of my windows this summer hopefully. I am going to put 5% on the rear doors and side windows in the trunk, and rear window. But, I digress.

Jamie had MTX Jackhammers, then name speaks for it self, they are supposed to be more loud then clean. But, they are LOUD. Not sure how it sounds either but it will bump for sure. Mine are in a sealed box that fires towards the trunk.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 03-18-2012, 03:27 PM   #1527
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07
That is such a sweet box and a JL 8 inch would probably kick it pretty good. What is it made out of and does the back of the box slop with the backseats? It also looks like you can still use your cargo shade/cover thing. I use that all the time to cover the subs. I am going to black out the rest of my windows this summer hopefully. I am going to put 5% on the rear doors and side windows in the trunk, and rear window. But, I digress.

Jamie had MTX Jackhammers, then name speaks for it self, they are supposed to be more loud then clean. But, they are LOUD. Not sure how it sounds either but it will bump for sure. Mine are in a sealed box that fires towards the trunk.
Yeah I'm actually considering getting a small 8 instead of slaughtering the enclosure and such. The box is plastic so It cant handle anything crazy but I don't need much more bass in the system so ill be nowhere near its limits. And yes it contours to the rear of the seat and also contours around the cargo shade and i will be using it haha! Im probably going to fiberglass the interior of the box for extra reinforcement. AWWW you don't need 5% tint dude this isn't a lowered Lincoln navigator with chrome rims and sidesteps... I can't do anything more than what's on mine the factory tint is already more than the vlt35 limit in my state. Ps my buddy's wk has vlt5 and it sucks really bad for backing up especially at night you can't see anything behind you

Matt
Unread 03-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #1528
Poseidon
2002 WJ 

That is a really sweet box. I have been itching to put in a bottom end on my machine, I was also thinking single 10. When I was about 18 I had a REALLY sweet box to go with a pair of 8's that were wired up to act as a single, bit the box was a) HUGE and b) Ported meaning it was a very loud "band pass" box that just went silent on certain frequencies. One of those notes happen to be in the sone "In the Air tonight" by Genesis. (Showing my age I know, and that song was an "oldie" when I was 18!) Anyway, I am thinking a sealed box, single 10, with new speakers all around.

I'll do some searching, but I am thinking I am going to end up with a new head unit to get what I want. (iPhone input and charging, as well as full range to all the doors.)
Poseidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #1529
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Got my Trans Cooler Installed. plenty of pics for all of y'alls. So I started by pulling off my lower front suspension skidplate, you guys may or may not have this. Then I had PERFECT access to the tranny cooler lines its almost like they were ASKING for me to do this mod because they put a small section of soft line in between two hard lines with easy little constant tension clamps.

So just squeeze the clamps and slide them to the side

Then get a drip pan underneath and get that old soft line outta there. Channel locks and some twisting and elbow grease and they pop right off. Will drip a tiny bit of ATF... Mmm nice fresh red looking ATF

Then get your new cooler set up with hose and everythin hooked up to it. I needed the length of hose it came with (bottom) plus an additional 5 ft from AAP for a couple bucks (top). Hose clamp and tighten well, you dont want this popping off.

I skipped a couple pics but basically take your grille off and maneuver it in between the plastic header panel slats and into place where you want it. If you're having trouble... heck... just snip one of the slats its not going to be a big deal. Then feed both hoses through the side rubber insulating flap towards the air box... they'll come out near the power steering box

Then I slipped some wire loom on the hoses, wrapped in electrical tape, and fed them in front of the power steering box as follows. I did the wire loom for any kind of chafe protection. I strongly suggest this anywhere you can even think of it chafing. You should now be able to reach up near the lower radiator hose and find these lines and pull em down.

Now. The hose coming out from the bottom of your new tranny cooler should hook up to the radiator side of the factory cooling pipe just like this. This will take the fluid after its passed through the factory radiator cooler and then bring it through your aftermarket cooler

Now that the hoses are routed cut off any excess you may have. The hose coming from the top of your new transmission cooler should go to the transmission end of the line you pulled in the beginning. This is the fluid return line to the trans so its being fed nice freshly cooled fluids

I then zip tied the cooler to the center radiator support poles because that seemed like the best feasible location. It'll get good airflow and its not touching the factory radiator or AC condenser.

Now check everything and take the Jeep for a nice test drive and then check the fluid right when you get back... it may have dropped a little bit and need some.

And THEN... during my test drive my Jeep shook and the gauges sweeped and did a reboot and I panicked and upon popping the hood noticed my positive terminal must have bounced up somehow and burnt through the hood insulation and shorted.

So I replaced the tall wingnuts with regular Stainless steel nuts and added an extra strap down for the battery until I get a REAL proper sized battery, y'all may have noticed I have an XJ battery in my WJ... grandmas mechanic put the wrong one in when she had it replaced a couple years back

Matt
Unread 03-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #1530
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86 View Post
Yeah I'm actually considering getting a small 8 instead of slaughtering the enclosure and such. The box is plastic so It cant handle anything crazy but I don't need much more bass in the system so ill be nowhere near its limits. And yes it contours to the rear of the seat and also contours around the cargo shade and i will be using it haha! Im probably going to fiberglass the interior of the box for extra reinforcement. AWWW you don't need 5% tint dude this isn't a lowered Lincoln navigator with chrome rims and sidesteps... I can't do anything more than what's on mine the factory tint is already more than the vlt35 limit in my state. Ps my buddy's wk has vlt5 and it sucks really bad for backing up especially at night you can't see anything behind you
It is up to you honestly. Depends on how much you want. So jelly that is fits with the seats and the shade. I can still use my shade thought. If you are going to keep it though... maybe its time to color match! :P

I have 35% in the front doors (which in VA the fronts can't be any lower the 50%) The rest is stock right now. The rear doors, and the rear quarter panel windows are stock at 20% which is dark but you can still see into the Jeep. I do not want that... You can have as dark as you want on the rears.

Edit: Pictures look good on the transmission cooler. Glad you got that installed. I may hold off on mine now since the Factory cooler should be fine for now. =/

Sucks about the wing nut man. But you put one some serious ring terminals! As per your pictures you do not have nearly as many threads as I did on your bolt for the terminal. That must have been why your wing nut hit.

-Michael-

For Sale:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.