Collision insurance for an old WJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Collision insurance for an old WJ?

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 12-23-2014, 09:22 PM   #1
stephenpegler
2003 WJ 

Collision insurance for an old WJ?

I removed collision insurance (USAA) from my 2003 Jeep WJ last year. Now I'm putting in a remanufactured engine. I'm thinking about putting it back on the collision insurance. My Jeep is built with lots of extra off road stuff - 4" IRO long arm lift, quick disconnects, big kevlar tires, all the armor stuff, brush guard, driving lights, roof rack, etc. If I ever wrecked it, God forbid, I guess I could unbolt almost everything (the rock sliders are welded on) including the new engine and salvage it for another WJ but that would be time consuming and expensive.

My questions are:
1. If the wreck is my fault with collision insurance, do I get screwed with just the BlueBook value for some everyday sockermom daily driver WJ or can I get what my WJ is really worth? BlueBook retail for a WJ Limited in good condition around here is from $7,000.00 to $9,000.00. I've never totaled a built Jeep so I don't know how this works with a built Jeep but I fear the worst (but I know how it works with an everyday car, see below).
2. There are lots of people running around AZ with brand new drivers licenses and NO INSURANCE so it doesn't even need to be my fault. These people don't really care that they are violating the law requiring liability insurance because they already violated the law by coming here. One of these people totaled my wife's car with no insurance but she had collision and medical insurance and was out ONLY $500.00, not to mention pain and suffering (but she did get a decent BlueBook value). I'm still PO'ed about this. The drunken idiot could have killed all of us if he had T-boned us a little farther back. The police took him away because he had a false ID. He probably got out the next day. This country is totally FUBAR but I digress.
3. Is there an insurance company out there that replaces your wrecked Jeep with something nearly equal (financially or for real). In my case it would be a built Jeep with a new remanufactured engine.

Let me know what you think. Any insurance agents, please comments, this is your chance to make a sale.

Steve

stephenpegler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2014, 09:55 PM   #2
jra8858
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenpegler View Post
This country is totally FUBAR
Agreed
jra8858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2014, 10:30 PM   #3
projectblackred

I be'ieve you would have to notify them about all your modifications to be reimbursed by the insurance company if any of them are damaged in a accident. But with that said most likely your insurance will be higher for having those parts insured
projectblackred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2014, 10:47 PM   #4
Highschool_WJ
1999 WJ 

I asked my aunt, who happens to be my insurance agent about this awhile back and she told me that I'd have to produce receipts and either keep them or let them scan them and keep them on file to prove it was mine and the value of the vehicle would go up so the premium would go up as well.
Highschool_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2014, 10:51 PM   #5
projectblackred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highschool_WJ
I asked my aunt, who happens to be my insurance agent about this awhile back and she told me that I'd have to produce receipts and either keep them or let them scan them and keep them on file to prove it was mine and the value of the vehicle would go up so the premium would go up as well.
yeah pretty much what I was getting at. But let's be honest how many of us will admit are jeeps arnt stock to the insurance company to pay them more lol I sure won't
projectblackred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2014, 10:56 PM   #6
Highschool_WJ
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectblackred View Post
yeah pretty much what I was getting at. But let's be honest how many of us will admit are jeeps arnt stock to the insurance company to pay them more lol I sure won't
Exactly! I still keep the receipts though so if it's the other drivers fault I can try to get their insurance to pay up for any damage done to it
Unread 12-23-2014, 11:44 PM   #7
Louisianaboy
2002 WJ 

Some insurances you can insure it for whatever you want. Eg. 20k or whatever. I have never looked it up but I have a buddy that does that on his show trucks.
Lol. Last one he sold, he could have got twice that if it was stolen, just would have had fun getting insured again.
Unread 12-23-2014, 11:53 PM   #8
ravenworks
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Stated Value
Unread Yesterday, 12:01 AM   #9
Louisianaboy
2002 WJ 

your best bet would be to go talk to your agent, after all they can get you facts and not just hear say.
Unread Yesterday, 12:19 AM   #10
losttech

2000 WJ 

I did this same thing on a car I owned and a week later my Ex-wife hit a cow and totaled the car.
I had just payed it off and thought what are the chances it will get wrecked well the worst happened.

So now I just pay full coverage its like 10-15 more a month with renters insurance and I get towing, roadside, all the bells and whistles pay 55$ ish from USAA also.
I keep all my receipts don't know how much that will help but it makes me feel safer.

USAA has been pretty good when I have dealt with them on the phone maybe like the above poster said give them a ring I am sure they could tell you what the best thing is to do.
I might call them too I am curious now as to what they would say is totaled price.
losttech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 05:51 AM   #11
derekmac

2002 WJ 

Just remember, if you don't disclose mods (lifts ect) to your insurance company, they can deny your claim completely if something were to happen. This could be different between states/provinces, but this happens a lot where I live. If you have a lifted (or lowered) vehicle, most insurance companies won't even insure you. People have received letters saying their coverage was going to be dropped because of mods. The only companies that will insure you are the ones for high risk drivers, and you'll be paying at least double what you were.
Future: 4" lift and lockers

Build thread.
derekmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 09:30 AM   #12
Highschool_WJ
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekmac View Post
Just remember, if you don't disclose mods (lifts ect) to your insurance company, they can deny your claim completely if something were to happen. This could be different between states/provinces, but this happens a lot where I live. If you have a lifted (or lowered) vehicle, most insurance companies won't even insure you. People have received letters saying their coverage was going to be dropped because of mods. The only companies that will insure you are the ones for high risk drivers, and you'll be paying at least double what you were.
Definitely differs between states, in north dakota insurance companies are pretty good about paying full cost of anything the body shop is willing to put a price on from damages.

This is only ND though, you could easily run into problems in other states like derekmac said
Unread Yesterday, 01:09 PM   #13
stephenpegler
2003 WJ 

I have USAA now. I'll give them a call about collision insurance at a higher value because of the new engine. I think I will not mention the nasty word "lifted".
stephenpegler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 06:10 PM   #14
ravenworks
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekmac View Post
What?
If you have a vehicle and wish to insure it for what ever price you desire and are willing to pay for such coverage it is called "Stated Value".
Stated value is very easily underwritten, the insurance company is not on the hook for anything more than the stated value at the time of writing,so this add-on is something that will need reviewed from time to time.
Unread Yesterday, 06:27 PM   #15
derekmac

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenworks View Post
What?
If you have a vehicle and wish to insure it for what ever price you desire and are willing to pay for such coverage it is called "Stated Value".
Stated value is very easily underwritten, the insurance company is not on the hook for anything more than the stated value at the time of writing,so this add-on is something that will need reviewed from time to time.
No such thing as Stated Value here. The vehicle value goes by the blue book value. We get royally screwed when it comes to insurance here!!! We either disclose any mods, and pay through the nose, or not tell them, and hope for the best.
Future: 4" lift and lockers

Build thread.
derekmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.