Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

clgielin's WJ build

119K views 616 replies 61 participants last post by  clgielin 
#1 ·
I recently sold my trail worthy YJ due to it's inability to seat 5 (which is the current size of the family).

I also bought my wife a Toyota Sienna to haul the crew around so I could take possession of her 2003 WJ. It has had a 2" BB and 245/75R16 BFG mt's for a couple years, but it is now time for a few upgrades...

The first part to arrive was a Spartan Locker for the D44a. I don't plan on regearing until stage 2 of my build, so it went in the first chance I got. I took plenty of pictures so you can follow along.

Soon to be 3 wheel drive! :thumbsup:

Up on jackstands with the tires removed

Brake hardware removed

Axle pulled out to clear the spider gears

Removing the differential cover

Open carrier with gears in excellent shape

Spider gears and center pin removed

Spartan installed and checked for clearance

Center pin reinstalled

Removing the old gasket material was the hardest part of the job

Locker install complete

I normally forget to take pictures while working on my toys. Don't be dissapointed if my next install is a picture of the parts and a completed picture.

See less See more
#9 ·
Interested in any winter driving experience.

#10 ·
Took the WJ and family out for a ride to fly kites today (or to give the new Spartan a trial run). The ratcheting is pretty quiet on the street, my wife hardly noticed it at all. There wan't any extreme terrain encountered, but one long extremely steep climb that would have been very difficult while open.

No snow experience yet, only installed yesterday.

#13 ·
Looks good. What trail/mountain did you go up? I went to school at USU in Logan and have been up many of the mountains around there. Joined the Air Force and now live in Idaho. I go back to UT all the time and that mountian looks kind of familiar.

#17 ·
Not sure when everything will arrive, but I will start on it right away. At this rate I should be ready for the Snakes. Picked up some used rubber tonight. Not exactly what I wanted, but the price was right. They will hold me over long enough to decide if I need 35's or not...

SS TSL Radials 33/12.5R15

#20 ·
I wanted to do something different so I ordered up some black soft 8's :D

I am going to keep the stock 16's and BFG's so I don't have to drive the TSL's around every day, hopefully they don't look too small at 4".

#19 ·
Nice! this is the first I have heard about another locker for the 44a. sure looks like the Aussie. except The 2 small holes on the inner's. I need to research spartan lockers now

Good with the build and enjoy all your added traction. I think lockers are the best up grade out there.

#25 ·
:rofl: No worries, just messing with you. It's fun.

IRO parts are scheduled to arrive Friday and Saturday. I'll see how far I get over the weekend on the install. You IRO guys have any advice?

I will be in North Carolina 10/4 to 10/8, but will try to be at the Snakes if I finish the WJ.
What parts are you installing exactly? With any lift, I recommend spraying all the bolts you will remove with pb blaster. Will make life easier in the long run.

#24 ·
IRO parts are scheduled to arrive Friday and Saturday. I'll see how far I get over the weekend on the install. You IRO guys have any advice?

I will be in North Carolina 10/4 to 10/8, but will try to be at the Snakes if I finish the WJ.

#31 ·
I probably spent around 4 hours at a leasurely pace. The part that took the longest was removing the old gasket material. I don't know what Chrysler used, but it sticks to aluminum like no other.

#33 ·
Got the lift installed this weekend. I still have to extend the axle breathers, a little more hammering on what is left of the front lower control arm mounts and recheck all the bolts. I can't wait to get the 33's on and go for a test drive.

Rear end links, springs and shocks removed

Spacer intalled on the differential

And in my normal fashion, here a some completed pics

Will add more once I get the 33's on and flex it a little....
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn155/clgielin/DSCF1530.jpg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.