ChrisHager's 04 WJ Build Thread - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > ChrisHager's 04 WJ Build Thread

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-12-2012, 10:10 AM   #76
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Oh you're pretty lucky there. Mine is making so much noise and is clunking like crazy while coasting. Almost wonder if that somehow has an effect on vibes. But if it did, wonder if it'd be enough to feel it through the steering wheel. Don't think so though. I know that I probably have some wondering issues because of how loose that thing is.

~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #77
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I doubt you would feel the rear A-arm through the steering wheel. That would create more of a wandering feel, not the beginnings of DW.

Here's a fun dilemma:

I can get all 4 tie rod ends from O'Reilly's down the road for about $190 and hopefully have them replaced tonight, aligned tomorrow, and ready for a 3.5 hour drive tomorrow afternoon.

OR

I can order from RockAuto.com for $105 shipped and install them next week. This is a much cheaper option but puts me in the position of driving to Missouri with possible bad TRE's on the drag link.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2012, 10:34 AM   #78
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Yeah, I figured it would transfer to the steering wheel. I do have a wondering feeling at times though!

Ohhh that is tough. All Moog? If I were you I'd also try to get the new Adjusting sleeves from Moog. (The tie rod and the drag link) From rock auto as well, Billzcat, Compcrasher, and myself have been very impressed with how heavy they are compared to the stock rods. Plus they make it x1000 easier to install new parts. Mine tie rod and drag link were nice and seized up.

Is your WJ the only choice of vehicles to drive there?
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #79
mreed21
1999 WJ 

Where did you buy the new sway bar end links from?
mreed21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #80
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

The end links I bought from Zone: 2"-3" Lift - Front, $34.99 and 3"-4" Lift - Rear, $39.99.

The WJ is not the only choice. I have plenty of other options if I need something else. I just want to take the WJ because:

1. It's mine.
2. It's comfortable.
3. It'll hold 4 people and all our luggage/camping supplies easily.
4. It misses me since I was in Jamaica all last week.
5. I want to try camping in the back of it.
6. It gets great gas mileage.

Hopefully I won't have any issues though. I just got off the phone with a local auto parts store. They are going to price match all the TRE's and one of the Adjusting Sleeves. The sleeve they wont match is only $10 more so not a big deal in my opinion. 5 of the pieces are in Springfield. The other piece is in Bloomington. Ironically, my brother lives in Bloomington and planned to come to Springfield tonight for the camping/float trip. Let's just hope the rest of the project continues this way!
Unread 07-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #81
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Well I totally understand all those reasons. Well that's great, all Moog parts, priced matched locally, can't beat that! Glad to hear that they did that. Lets hope that fixes it!

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #82
mreed21
1999 WJ 

Thanks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using JeepForum
mreed21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2012, 08:51 AM   #83
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Well I think I solved my DW issues. The mistress seems happy now with 4 new MOOG TRE's and 2 new MOOG Adjusting Sleeves. Man these things are nice and beefy. I love that they have grease fittings as well. I suggest going this route for anyone needing to refresh the steering system. I also recommend RockAuto as it has excellent prices. I was in a hurry for parts and didn't have time to order through RockAuto. Fortunately, I found a local parts store that price matched! I believe I bought all 6 pieces locally for around $170. With shipping and the discount code, RockAuto prices it all at $160. Not too bad for getting the parts right when I needed them.

Part Numbers:

Tie Rod Ends
Right Outer (Steering Arm To Steering Arm): ES3472
Front Left Outer: ES3473
Right Outer (Pitman Arm To Steering Arm): ES3474
Front Left Inner To Pitman Arm: ES3475

Adjusting Sleeves
Steering Arm To Steering Arm: DS1452S
Pitman Arm to Steering Arm: DS1453S

Anyways, the install was simple! I was able to pop each TRE off with only a hammer. I think the total install time was around 1.5 - 2 hours.

The jeep is getting aligned as we speak. I didn't notice any DW or shimmy on the drive into town. There might have been the slightest vibration at one point but it was so slight, I doubt my wife would have even noticed it. I'm excited to see how it drives after everything is aligned!

Here's a few pics of the parts. The weight alone is impressive. One Adjusting Sleeve felt heavier than the entire old assembly.

Unread 07-13-2012, 10:08 AM   #84
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Looks great man! Glad that you are happy with them and how it is driving so far. A note for the Moog is that the parts where the sleeves connect to the tie rod ends, teds to get some rust on them. I slapped some grease on them. The install can go much easier when you dont have to work the old stuff out of the stock sleeves. Could you post your alignment specs printout if you can please. I'd like to compare them to mine when I get it done this afternoon.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-13-2012, 10:38 AM   #85
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Ahh good tip on the grease.

I will indeed post the alignment specs. It might be a few days until I have time to get a scan of the document up but I can at least type them in... Or I guess I could take a picture of it.
Unread 07-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #86
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Yeah. If you saw the videos you can see that happened to me on the one side I forgot to put grease on.

Anything will work for now, a picture will do even. Would like to see the caster and the toe.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #87
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Well, after throwing on new Moog TRE's and Adjusting Sleeves, getting it aligned, and driving 400 miles this weekend, I'm excited to say it drives much better. The steering wheel shimmy/DW is gone. The only thing we noticed is while on the interstate, when correcting for a turn, it felt like it was dog tracking quite a bit. It could be something as simple as needing more air in the tires since we were loaded down pretty well. It could also be signs of worn bushings. I'll keep my eye on it and see if anything new develops.

Here are my before/after alignment specs as well:

Unread 07-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #88
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Are you feeling like a tail wag or just wandering around the road? I know before I lifted, and had it slammed loaded it handled pretty poorly in the rear. Now lifted, and the a-arm being torn up, because of the springs and spacers installation 5 different times, the amount of droop tore up the bushings. So now I am getting some tail wag and the thrust angle is probably all over the place. Give you a-arm frame bushings a once over.

Glad that these things fixed the issue! Hey, your alignment is off, your caster is out of spec

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-16-2012, 04:47 PM   #89
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I mainly feel the wandering after correcting for a turn. Driving straight, it's not noticeable. It's also not as if I have to constantly correct left and right - only when turning the wheel do I notice a sway or wander. A good way to say it is the jeep felt more tippy than usual when not driving straight.
Unread 07-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #90
WJChris
Four Badges

1999 WJ 

I suspect the weight and possibly tire pressures.
WJChris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
build thread , chrishager , grand cherokee , ome hd , wj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.