ChrisHager's 04 WJ Build Thread - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > ChrisHager's 04 WJ Build Thread

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #61
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Yeah you have a good start on replacing possible bad components. I'm hoping I find something obvious here in the next half hour or so. I would be surprised if it's control arm bushings but then again, I've been surprised by less.

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2012, 04:10 PM   #62
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Yeah, that's why I am concerned haha. Control arms, oh dear, please no haha.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #63
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Mind my ignorance on the technical terms. I know what everything does but I'm not well versed in the terminology. I believe I have it correct though. I *think* it's the TRE's on the drag link. The passenger side seems to have some play in it, the boot is dried out, and when turned by hand, it makes a clunk noise (the ends on the tie rod do not)...

There seems to be a tiny tiny bit of play on the driver side KOR bushing on the track bar but it's minimal of it is even truely moving.

My steering stabilizer seems to be good and one control arm bolt needed a few more ft-lbs on it. I also amped up the track bar bolts to 100 ft-lbs.

I'll start with the drag link ends and go from there. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to do that until after my trip to Missouri... :-(

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Quote:
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
Unread 07-11-2012, 06:03 PM   #64
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Well, I guess we shall see if that tie rod will help out some. I just dont know what else it could be! Haha.

I may get some adjustable ball joints to add more caster or fixed ball joints to that add caster. I have a feeling that would help out and keep things more stable.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-11-2012, 08:34 PM   #65
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Which brand did you get that was so beefy and if you don't mind, how much did it cost? I think I saw it in your thread but don't quite remember...

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-11-2012, 08:37 PM   #66
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

All 4 Moog Greaseable tie rod ends and the Moog adjusting sleeves all for under 200 shipped. That might be high, ill have to x2 check.

Sometimes I wonder why I lifted the WJ, I knew it wouldn't be simple. Even at a BB height, still issues out the wazoo. I am pretty sure my JKS bushings are squeaking when I turn the wheel, awesome.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #67
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Awesome I was hoping they were Moog.

We lift the WJ because we love the WJ!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-11-2012, 09:06 PM   #68
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Yup Moog is awesome. Don't forget to add a discount coupon (that you can find on Google) for your Rock Auto Order.

I love my WJ too, I just need to realize it won't ride the same and just because it does not ride the same as stock, does not mean it is broken. I just have to get used to the differences. *knock on wood* Even with the bad stock track bar I hit a pot hole and it DW'd for a second and then came back and didn't KEEP wobbling. That says something. I am still getting used to the movement in the steering wheel on bumps and the little shake on the occasional bump.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #69
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I doubt they would ever ride the same. We can work hard to make them ride like glass but unless long arms and countless hours are involved, there is a price to pay to customize a vehicle to how we want it. That being said, any lifted WJ (when done properly and in good form) should ride well.

Perhaps I have a stupid question but I really don't know the answer... Are the TRE's for the tie rod the same as the TRE's for the drag link? If so, I can get MOOG TRE's from O'Reilly Auto Parts for $43 (might be for the set). If that's the case, I could whip this out tomorrow night for a great price and be ready for the weekend trip!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-11-2012, 09:39 PM   #70
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

I just want to feel confident going down the road and not have to sweat over every bump? You know? Haha 4" long arm would be sick

All 4 Moog tie rods had different part numbers man. They were all different.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-11-2012, 09:56 PM   #71
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I know what you mean!

After I sent that last message, I looked at the options they had and realized there were 4 which makes sense. Haha its getting late and I was being hopeful. Either way, if one of the 5 O'Reilly stores here in town have them in stock, I don't think that's a bad price, though they do have cheap ones for $20 (I prefer doing the job once with good parts though ). My hope is they have them in because my brother is coming into town tomorrow and with his help, we should be able to tackle them all tomorrow after I get off work. I might do all 4 and align it Friday morning before I leave. The only problem is I've been known to bite off more than I can chew...

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #72
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Oh yeah man. I've been scared with the Rubicon nightmare.

Yeah, I'd do it right the first time with Moog if possible. Who knows, maybe you will get lucky and get the Moog parts you need man. Don't feel like you have to know it all man, you should have seen some of the posts that I made when i first joined lol. We are all here to learn and help one another! Haha, kinda like me, I always seem to bite more then I can even chew, let alone swallow hahaha.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-11-2012, 10:12 PM   #73
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

It's funny how fast I've learned because of this site. A year ago, I was learning about lift heights and now I'm advising on them. I also never thought I would be tearing down my engine 6 months after buying the jeep. Live and learn and spend money. It's really the only way. Steering is new to me but I bet in the next week or two ill be an expert.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-11-2012, 10:21 PM   #74
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

This is my two year anniversary. Wow actually, dang. I stalk this site like I do with Facebook and others. Then my "build" aka chat and discussion thread has a stupid amount of pages. I can safely say that I have learned A LOT, but there is always more. I guess Arlo who had said, "don't lift on a budget" was not kidding at all!

Question, have you checked out your rear a-arm at all? Still in good shape?

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-12-2012, 06:28 AM   #75
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I haven't checked my rear a-arm. Besides a very slight occasional wandering (which might be cause by whatever is bad in the front), I haven't had any reason to check it out...

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Tags
build thread , chrishager , grand cherokee , ome hd , wj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.