ChrisHager's 04 WJ Build Thread - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > ChrisHager's 04 WJ Build Thread

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 05-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #46
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

CB Install

After doing some research, I found the best reception on a CB comes from a tall antenna mounted towards the center of the vehicle. Because of this, I decided to skip the tail light mount and look into mounting up front with a hood channel mount. I bought this from Firestik along with their special cabling with the unique FireRing attachment. I went this route because I liked the sleek design of the FireRing installation paired with the hood channel mount.

Model Number SS-174

Model Number K-8R18

I bought mine as a kit which is the MK-174 Model Number.

As for the CB, I chose the Midland 1001LWX which I picked up from a local shop. It's supposed to be a good little radio - small like the Uniden Pro510XL yet offering a couple extra features - RF Gain, Backlit LCD, NOAA Weather, and PA feature to name a few.

The antenna - I wanted to still be able to park in my garage but I wanted a taller antenna. I was opting for a more permanently mounted antenna as opposed to quick disconnects (I may change my mind as I get used to it). I found that some of the best antennas for reception are the fiberglass style antennas (I'm comparing this to similar priced antennas). Since my garage door is a little lower than a 4' antenna requires, I decided to go with the Wilson Flex Silver Load 305-4FD. This antenna has good reviews and has a lot of flex - enough that I've found I can drive into the garage without a problem. I can also bend it back and tie it to the roof rails. Another feature I liked is that the antenna is 1/4" in diameter - thinner than other fiberglass antennas which provides a more factory look along side the factory radio antenna. The only downfall that I initially see is it does flex in the wind above 50 mph - not so much that it will reduce reception much (I doubt) but enough to notice visually.

After I ordered the mount/coax, I found some information while browsing the internet. This sparked my curiosity so I investigated a new mounting location. This is what I found:

This is under the hood cowl. You have to remove a few plastic screw type things and take off the windshield wiper arms. There is also a strip of trim in the front that slides right off. Once the cowl is removed, you have a ton of space to work. Initially, I was hoping to drill a hole in the flat spot in front of the bolt you see sticking up. I had to re-think this idea when I realized the hood would hit the antenna when opened.

What I decided on was to cut off the bolt, drill out a hole, and install the mounting stud in it's location. This area looks to be quite sturdy for mounting an antenna. If I find it is not, I will probably fab up a small bracket and attach it under the mount and to the bottom of the hood cowl area. An added benefit to this location is the factory hole in the cowl will line up with the new mounting stud. Also, this can be 'undone' by replacing the stud with a new bolt if the CB is ever removed:

Obviously, be very careful cutting and drilling as the windshield is right next to where you are working. A 'used' cutoff wheel was needed because it was smaller and allowed more play.

Drill the hole out in increments. Start small and move up:

Once the proper size is reached, the stud can be installed:

I ran the coax forward and under the padding. I wrapped the area of the coax that crosses the metal with some extra electrical tape in an attempt to reduce wear. This will probably need to be checked from time to time, though I imagine the wear will be minimal at best.

I ran the coax through the grommet in the firewall. I also ran a power wire for the CB from the battery, up to the hood cowl, underneath the cowl, across to the driver's side, out a little grommet, then through the grommet in the firewall (sorry I didn't get a picture of this).

Now the cowl can be installed. Here is a picture of the mounted stud looking through the factory hole in the hood cowl. Pretty close!

I drilled out the hole a little bit bigger (1/2") to give myself a little room to install the antenna. The factory sized hole is a little tight.

And here is the 4' antenna installed. Honestly, 3' would probably work but I like the added reception provided by the 4'.

I haven't finished tuning it so the extra 'just in case' ground wire is still there. If I need to use it, I'll poke it through the hole and run a self tapping screw near the stud. If it's not needed, I'll cut off the little connector at the end, slip some heat shrink wire over the antenna and wire, and shrink it down.

I installed my CB next to the driver's seat behind the seat belt connector. I like this location because it's easy to access yet still out of the way. I ran the wires from the firewall, up under the dash and across to the center console. From there, I ran them under the console to the CB. I also ran an aux cord from the CB, under the center console, and up to the CD player. If I'm in a situation where I want extra sound, I can plug the aux cord in to the back of the CB and into my CD player aux port and use my radio speakers for the incoming talk.

Like I said, I still have to tune it up. I'm having an issue with the set screw that should be remedied here shortly. I also need to connect the aux cable and see what it sounds like through the radio speakers. I'll be sure to report my findings after I attach the SWR meter this weekend.

Hers: 2000 TJ
Hers: 2010 Jetta

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2012, 03:32 PM   #47
ablaydes
2003 WJ 

Nice build man, just scanned through, I like the stance you have pretty much what I'm looking for as well
03' Jeep WJ|4x4 select-trac|Kolaks "Magic Setup"|OME HDS|Bilsteins 5100's|3/4 spacers front|Moog STB SS|Zone 3" sway links|Homebrewed quick Disco's|17" Moabs|32" BFG's KM's|Hella 500ff's|Rear Oem receiver|Front custom tow Points|Smittybilt receiver 3/4 D-ring|Limited headlights and Grille|

My Build thread
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ablaydes-wj-build-thread-1382113/[/url]

ROLL TIDE ROLL ! ! !

Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said...I'm too drunk to taste this chicken !
ablaydes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #48
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Hey thanks man!

Side note, I'm on my bachelor party!!! Out in Bloomington tonight with a bunch of good friends and family! Should get interesting...

Unread 05-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #49
TRLWGN1
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
Hey thanks man!

Side note, I'm on my bachelor party!!! Out in Bloomington tonight with a bunch of good friends and family! Should get interesting...
yet you are on the internet checking a Jeep forum?
dude, I think you could find better things to do while on your bachelor party
TRLWGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2012, 12:18 PM   #50
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Haha we were sitting in the hotel room waiting for people to get ready! Figured I had a few minutes to hop on the JeepForum app!

Unread 07-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #51
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Small updates:

Monday I changed the transmission filter and fluid again. It appeared to be in pretty good shape. I don't remember if I mentioned it before but I'm changing the fluid and filter multiple times over the next 15-20k miles in an attempt to refresh everything without blowing up the transmission. To the best of my knowledge, the PO had never changed the fluid. The first fluid change I performed was somewhere around 90k. I was afraid to do a flush or a single filter/fluid change because that carries the possibility of clogging the new filter with crud the new fluid breaks loose and eventually starves the transmission.

I mentioned the fluid appeared to be in pretty good shape. By this, I mean the color and smell was typical and not burnt. However, sight and smell aren't the greatest tests to inform what's going on in there. Because of this, I've decided to join the 'nerd' side of things and just ordered my first two Blackstone Labs testing kits - one to test the transmission (single test to check it's health) and one to start engine oil analysis. I'm curious to see how everything is doing now that it's been a year and probably 4 or 5 oil changes since I replaced the lifters and camshaft and switched to Rotella engine oil.

I also changed my air filter to the WIX dry style filter. I have heard great things about this filter in that it flows well and captures dirt well. Here is a link I found on JeepForum for Air Filter Test Data (and found HERE on JeepForum). Would you say it was time to change mine out?

Not that it's much to talk about but I slapped on some new windshield wipers as well. I was recommended the Trico Flex... Seem pretty good so far, though we haven't had a real rain here in quite some time...

OK so that took care of Monday. Last night I rotated my tires. I need to get a tire tread depth gauge to see how they are wearing but visually they look pretty darn good.

Now, for the more important point of this post: I finally switched my JKS Track Bar bushings to the KOR super hard bushings.

Initially, I'm unsure how I feel about them. I am a little discouraged in that I have a lot more defined steering wheel shake. While I haven't crawled under to really look at it (hopefully I'll have time tonight), if I assume the KOR bushings fixed the movement of the track bar, I'm led to believe either:
A. My Rancho Steering Stabilizer is already bad.
B. I have something else loose or a bad control arm bushing and the Rancho SS is working hard to hold back the shimmies.

The best way to describe it is the wheel feels like it has a miniature version of DW. It feels as if DW wants to happen but can't quite get there.

Back to the KOR bushings, I feel it may have taken a little of the sway out of the Jeep as well (not that it was bad). Being that I can feel more pronounced movement, I would say the KOR bushings are a good upgrade. Since they are so hard, they aren't flexing like the JKS bushings which were probably dampening some of the wheel shimmy.

I'll post back when I find what's causing the shimmy. When I fix that, I imagine I'll be able to give a better review of the KOR bushings.

Unread 07-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #52
99WJdan
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
The best way to describe it is the wheel feels like it has a miniature version of DW. It feels as if DW wants to happen but can't quite get there.
I know what you mean. I have the same problem at like 50-60mph. Its like a weak version of death wobble. So the KOR bushings didn't fix that? I was under the impression that the JKS bushings were the culprit since its the only part that has play in it from what I can see. Maybe its the steering gear box?
Unread 07-11-2012, 02:55 PM   #53
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Crhis and 99WJdan, I have the same feeling with mine, I have little mini vibes that feel like DW but it can't (thankfully) get there. My vibes are very minute though but still there and causes me some concern. Thanks for the post man.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2012, 03:13 PM   #54
99WJdan
1999 WJ 

Im getting new tires and an alignment next week so hopefully that will fix the small DW we all have. Im guessing it has a part due to the fact that I never got it aligned after installing TRE's causing horrible tire wear, or the fact the tires have about 2/32 of tread left, or they could be unballanced.
Unread 07-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #55
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Wow that could cause some issues! Haha.

My tires are in good shape (I assume) and I have recently had it aligned. I was able to produce actual DW on my way back from lunch today but it was so small and controlled that I was able to show my brother and drive with no hands while we watched the wheel shake. Something is up. I doubt it has much to do with the KOR bushing (unless I need to tighten the Track Bar bolts down further than 75/80 ft-lbs). If we decide to hang and grill for our usual Wednesday night guy night at my house again, I'll crawl under the jeep and really have someone work the steering wheel while I look for something moving. I might also removed the steering stabilizer and see if that has anything to do with it. I'd like to get this wrapped up tonight/tomorrow as I'm leaving Friday for a camping/float trip down in Missouri and the Jeep is our ride of choice!

Unread 07-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #56
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

See you and I seem to be in the most similar boat here:
- All new heavy duty moog tie rods
- New moog tie rod sleeves
- new jks track bar and bushings (new track bar didn't seem to get rid of vibes)
- tires were balanced before the lift (no issues)
- JUST got it aligned. And nothing should have messed with toe.
- SS is still tight

What left is:
- ball joints
- drive shaft
- c.v. joint.
- ???

So what do we do? Haha
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #57
99WJdan
1999 WJ 

When I replaced my cv shafts I didn't notice a change in anything. The new double cardan driveshaft however made a big difference in vibrations.
Unread 07-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #58
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

I think Chris should have the same D.S. that I do, single u-joint at the axle and a rzeppa at the t-case. But, I don't know if that'd cause d.w. or the vibes he is feeling.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #59
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Yep that's the same DS I have. That wouldn't cause DW but it can cause vibes. I think what we are feeling is the beginning stages of DW. I'm going out to start checking things over in about 10 minutes.

Unread 07-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #60
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

That's what I did not want to hear and what I've been afraid off. Worse part is that I have no idea what else to replace to fix it.

-Michael-

For Sale:

Tags
build thread , chrishager , grand cherokee , ome hd , wj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.