ChrisHager's 04 WJ Build Thread - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > ChrisHager's 04 WJ Build Thread

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-09-2013, 08:11 AM   #226
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Small little project this past weekend - while it isn't WJ related, perhaps someone with a TJ browsing through my thread may appreciate this.

The problem I had is every time I remove the doors on the TJ, I end up setting them on the floor. I don't prefer this because I'm afraid they'll either get knocked over or end up in the way. If they're not on the floor, they end up on the garage futon. Clearly, that can't happen!

Solution: Hang them on the wall.

I bought some 1/4" x 3-3/4" eye bolts with a center hole large enough to accept the door stud. I then attached a couple scrap 2x4 to the wall and threaded the eye bolts into the 2x4. This is necessary because the eye bolts aren't long enough mounted only into the wall to allow the doors to swing flat against said wall. End result, no doors on the floor to knock over!

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 11:53 PM   #227
Y0ungGunZJ
1993 ZJ 

can you mount a hoop on the wall? so the doors stay against the wall. so it would act as a door latch. some sort of small u bolt should do with some 2x4
(o) )-o---(o) )---o-) ) ---------(o) )-o-(o) )--o-) )
Y0ungGunZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 07:12 AM   #228
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

That would work! The way mine worked out, they stay against the wall quite well. With that said, adding something to allow the door to latch to the wall would reduce the amount of weight on the eye bolts. Nice thinking!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Quote:
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
Unread 07-11-2013, 07:29 AM   #229
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I'll just put this here...

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-17-2013, 11:29 AM   #230
Merc1973
2002 WJ 

Any luck with fixing the wandering issue? I'm at my whit's end with mine. Hopefull IRO front adj LCA's will do it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Merc1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 07:21 AM   #231
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I haven't noticed any major wandering like I did on the way to the camping trip last summer. I think my problem back then was the fact that it was loaded down. After that trip, I put the stock length sway bar end links back in the front which I feel helped a bit.

Ultimately, if you have a wandering issue or find your jeep is dog tracking, there's a very good chance it's caused by worn out bushings, especially in the A-arm...

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-18-2013, 08:12 AM   #232
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Per tread wear on DuraTrac 245/75R16 C tires:

I mounted these tires right at about a year and a half ago and have put a little over 20,000 miles on them, rotated every 5-7k. Most has been city driving with a little highway and a little off road. They've seen all types of driving conditions and have performed wonderfully in everything.

They come with a tread depth of 18/32". After this long, mine are currently sitting at 13/32". That's 5/32" of wear in 1.5 years/20k miles. Not to bad!

Here's how they currently look:

About the picture above of my misfire codes - I haven't heard report that it has happened any more (the wife is still driving it). I bought new spark plugs I'm hoping may take care of the issue. They're cheap and about due to be changed any way. I'll be keeping a close eye on it, that's for sure!

Oh, this finally arrived as well!

If the heat doesn't run me out of the garage this weekend, I may see about installing these new parts.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #233
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

My wondering issue greatly improved with a whole new a-arm. Keeps the back end where it should be. So check out those bushings on the a-arm!

Chris, what is up with all those codes?!

Tires look good, and the trans cooler will be a fun little project!
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #234
Merc1973
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
I haven't noticed any major wandering like I did on the way to the camping trip last summer. I think my problem back then was the fact that it was loaded down. After that trip, I put the stock length sway bar end links back in the front which I feel helped a bit.

Ultimately, if you have a wandering issue or find your jeep is dog tracking, there's a very good chance it's caused by worn out bushings, especially in the A-arm...
Yeah thats what everyone says. All ball joints, a-arm ball joint, steering gear, KOR JKS TB bushings, control arms (IRO front upper and crown all other) and bushings have been replaced this year. Even the TRE's seem tight and are 3 years old. I hope its just a caster issue. Even if I hold the wheel straight it zig-zags in the lane and have to be careful not to over-correct or i might run someone off the road. The local 4x4 shop couldn't find anything wrong and i'm Seriously thinking about selling it...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Merc1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #235
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Caster plays a big part in it as well. I'm running around 6.7* of caster with my OME HD lift.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-18-2013, 10:23 AM   #236
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
Chris, what is up with all those codes?!
The EVAP codes have been there for ever - if I remember correctly, they showed up not long after I bought it. I haven't taken the time to replace what I assume to be cracked hoses. I'll probably get on it soon though...

As for the Cylinder 5 Misfire and Multiple Misfire codes that just popped up, I'm not sure. RJ was driving and called me telling me it was stumbling. I told her to park it, shut it off, then restart it. She did her shopping and when she went back to the WJ and started it, everything was fine.

When she got home, I hooked up the scanner and tried to clear the codes with no luck. I then revved it high in neutral to see what it would do. It ran smooth but flashed the CEL (I'm assuming it was missing just slightly enough that I couldn't feel it).

Since then, it appears to be driving fine.

Like I said above, I'm going to replace the plugs and see how that goes. Since it's not repeating the issue, I'm hoping all is well. I'm a little worried though because these are the same codes I was getting when I had to replace the cam and lifters. If it comes to that again, I have two options. The 'fun' option probably won't be what I choose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1973 View Post
Yeah thats what everyone says. All ball joints, a-arm ball joint, steering gear, KOR JKS TB bushings, control arms (IRO front upper and crown all other) and bushings have been replaced this year. Even the TRE's seem tight and are 3 years old. I hope its just a caster issue. Even if I hold the wheel straight it zig-zags in the lane and have to be careful not to over-correct or i might run someone off the road. The local 4x4 shop couldn't find anything wrong and i'm Seriously thinking about selling it...
Wow... That sounds really bad. I can't believe it's doing that with everything you've replaced.

Quote:
Caster plays a big part in it as well. I'm running around 6.7* of caster with my OME HD lift.
I'm wondering if adjusting the caster would help too...

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #237
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
As for the Cylinder 5 Misfire and Multiple Misfire codes that just popped up, I'm not sure. RJ was driving and called me telling me it was stumbling. I told her to park it, shut it off, then restart it. She did her shopping and when she went back to the WJ and started it, everything was fine.

When she got home, I hooked up the scanner and tried to clear the codes with no luck. I then revved it high in neutral to see what it would do. It ran smooth but flashed the CEL (I'm assuming it was missing just slightly enough that I couldn't feel it).

Since then, it appears to be driving fine.

Like I said above, I'm going to replace the plugs and see how that goes. Since it's not repeating the issue, I'm hoping all is well. I'm a little worried though because these are the same codes I was getting when I had to replace the cam and lifters. If it comes to that again, I have two options. The 'fun' option probably won't be what I choose.
Well that is pretty weird man. I would really doubt that the new lifts and cam are already "worn" or such. Hopefully the spark plugs are just old and need replaced. I do spark plugs ever 20-25k miles just because.

Eeeek, lets hope again that it is just something simple!

Quote:
Wow... That sounds really bad. I can't believe it's doing that with everything you've replaced.

I'm wondering if adjusting the caster would help too...
Yeah that is way out of the ordinary, something is still definitely wrong. I would start by getting the torque wrench out and also doing a "shake down". Have someone get in there and turn the wheel back and forth and see if you can feel any clunks, pops, looseness, or anything out of the ordinary. Regardless of the outcome I would still get the torque wrench out and crank that baby up and make sure everything is TIGHT! I don't know how "correct" this is but, I set my torque wrench to about 10-15% above factory torque specs.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-18-2013, 11:00 AM   #238
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
I would really doubt that the new lifts and cam are already "worn" or such.
In a good engine, they shouldn't be worn already. The thing that worries me is, while I installed everything properly, if there was something wrong with the lifter bore, it could cause the lifter to not rotate thus destroying itself and the camshaft.

I'm looking too far into this though. Spark plugs could clear it right up. My mind went to the worst case scenario because that's the same cylinder that had the problem last time.

I guess time will tell...

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #239
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

I had to return a set of Duratracs because they caused horrible wandering...It is too bad, I love the look and performance of them but they just didn't work for me. They were load range E though, that definately played a factor.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #240
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:

In a good engine, they shouldn't be worn already. The thing that worries me is, while I installed everything properly, if there was something wrong with the lifter bore, it could cause the lifter to not rotate thus destroying itself and the camshaft.

I'm looking too far into this though. Spark plugs could clear it right up. My mind went to the worst case scenario because that's the same cylinder that had the problem last time.

I guess time will tell...

I am the same way, something small out of place or incorrect can really set me off sometimes towards the worst case scenario. Need to work on that for me haha.

I'm impressed though, would have never been able to dive into the engine like that.

-Michael-

For Sale:

Tags
build thread , chrishager , grand cherokee , ome hd , wj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.