ChrisHager's 04 WJ Build Thread - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > ChrisHager's 04 WJ Build Thread

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Steering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 02-20-2013, 03:33 PM   #181
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

I wonder why they did the transmission cooling through the AC condensor in the 04's? I am assuming that the engine coolant radiator is only used for coolant then? That's a good point about the AC running and efficiency of the system. Thought of it previously but didn't know how much of efficiency it'd lose. Now that I think about it, during the summer, I've got 100 degree temps and the AC blasting. I can see how I managed to marginally over heat it once before. That one time was enough for me to buy an aux cooler.

Also ran into the hose issue, tried to sell me some regular old hose. Then I asked for the hose that's transmission cooler and have the proper hose. Like you said either way, an auxiliary cooler is a good investment.

~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #182
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Received some goodies for the WJ today...

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #183
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

What did you get?!
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 02-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #184
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
What did you get?!
It's a secret... Haha.

It's a set of brakes... I'm doing oil, tire rotation, brakes, new DOT4 brake fluid, moving my steering stabilizer up higher, and tracking down that transmission leak. I just finished on the Trooper so I'm diving in on the WJ.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Quote:
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
Unread 02-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #185
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Handful of updates - quite a busy weekend!

First of all, I installed Centric Rotors and Hawk LTS pads on the front of the WJ and Centric Pads (semi-metallic) on the rear. I also bled all the brakes and swapped over to DOT4 fluid. Here's my install write up: Brake Rotor and Pad Install

And a couple pictures:

I bedded them in yesterday pretty aggressively. So far, I'm pleased with them though I haven't had much drive time on them yet. I'll be able to comment more in a week or so.

Let's see... I found my transmission leak...

I *thought* that was the problem. I cut the bad spot off and reinstalled the hose. I later noticed it was still leaking. It was obviously coming from where the hose connects to the metal line. I ran to town and grabbed a new line but thought I'd try a different type of hose clamp before I switched the line out. So far, that seems to be doing it.

I moved my steering stabilizer up higher:

Before

After

It was kind of a pain to get the clamps off and back on. We found heat and a hammer work well for removal and heat and channel lock pliers do the trick for getting them back on.

Oh, I also changed the oil and rotated the tires. I figure that's enough for the WJ for one weekend.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 03-19-2013, 07:52 AM   #186
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

A couple of small follow ups from the project a few weeks ago:

The brakes are amazing. After having them on for a while, I've found during day to day driving, the brakes perform as any other brake would during light stopping. Once you get heavy on the brake pedal, these things really start to shine. I gave them a run for their money over the weekend and found my limiting factor is easily the tires.

I believe the transmission fluid leak is taken care of. I haven't noticed any new drips!

The steering stabilizer seems to be doing its job in the new location, as expected.

Once I rotated the tires, I noticed a bit of a shimmy around 50 mph which is clearly an out of balance tire. I need to get them balanced but really don't want to take them off, drive them in to DiscountTire, then bring them back home to reinstall. Sometimes it's a pain having wheel spacers. The next set of tires I get are going to be mounted on a new set of rims! I will say though, I've either gotten used to the shimmy or it has faded a little. Maybe they'll balance themselves!

And for a new update, I've noticed lately my gas mileage has been a little lower than usual. I didn't put much thought into it until I stumbled upon a thread that made me think - along with this drop in mileage, I've noticed my coolant temperature gauge has been running quite low (just above the quarter mark). I pulled up the Torque App and this is what I found...

Steady highway driving, outside temperature at about 35F - 40F, heater running on low:

City driving, outside temperature at about 30F, heater running on low (intake temperature is a little high but I was idling through a parking lot):

I'm assuming my thermostat is stuck open. Ironically, the only codes I have are P0455 and P0456 (someday I may get those taken care of!).

Anyway, it looks like I need to pop off the thermostat housing and see what's going on!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 03-19-2013, 10:08 AM   #187
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Love that app! So if the radiator cap is stuck open, it'll run cool but the engine will use more fuel and try to warm up to operating temps?

I see 150* intake temps in the summer in traffic. O_o

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 03-19-2013, 11:00 AM   #188
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Love that app! So if the thermostat is stuck open, it'll run cool but the engine will use more fuel and try to warm up to operating temps?
Fixed it for you. I believe that is the consensus. The ECU gives the engine more fuel to warm up to operating temperature.

Another thing I've read is that if the engine is too cold, the fuel vapor could condense and not burn as well.

Per stuck open thermostats, I've read some people notice a major loss in fuel mileage and some don't comment at all on a change. In my case, I assumed my driving style + winter fuel + idling more is the cause of my mileage loss. Once I realized the thermostat is probably stuck open, I linked the two together. It could be coincidental but I'm curious now if I notice an increase in mileage when I get the time to replace it.

Quote:
I see 150* intake temps in the summer in traffic. O_o
That doesn't surprise me! I forget what I see in the summer but I imagine it's up there with yours. I haven't actually used that App in the WJ for a while. I have an older 'backup' Android phone I'm considering leaving in the WJ to always monitor what's going on. I just need to find a decent place to mount it somewhat out of sight to avoid a smashed window.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 03-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #189
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post

Fixed it for you. I believe that is the consensus. The ECU gives the engine more fuel to warm up to operating temperature.

Another thing I've read is that if the engine is too cold, the fuel vapor could condense and not burn as well.

Per stuck open thermostats, I've read some people notice a major loss in fuel mileage and some don't comment at all on a change. In my case, I assumed my driving style + winter fuel + idling more is the cause of my mileage loss. Once I realized the thermostat is probably stuck open, I linked the two together. It could be coincidental but I'm curious now if I notice an increase in mileage when I get the time to replace it.

That doesn't surprise me! I forget what I see in the summer but I imagine it's up there with yours. I haven't actually used that App in the WJ for a while. I have an older 'backup' Android phone I'm considering leaving in the WJ to always monitor what's going on. I just need to find a decent place to mount it somewhat out of sight to avoid a smashed window.
Haha thank-you! I'm not sure what happened there, I had written thermostat and then had changed it for some reason. I don't know what was going through my head.

Either way it seems to be running cool and then using more fuel in that case as well. Better cool than too hot I guess haha.

Yeah the winter months suck for gas. As you said above. I do terrible around town, especially in the winter, cold engine, winter fuel, heavy acceleration, and a lot of traffic.

I've got a few extra androids too but for the same reason I don't have it mounted, I feel like that would be asking for trouble.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 03-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #190
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

This is why the code hasn't come up yet - it's still pending (key dance doesn't show pending codes).

I know I have the EVAP leak to take care of. Someday I'll replace the lines that are cracked.

The information on the App for P1281 isn't very descriptive. Here's what WJJeeps.com has to say about it:

P1281

Engine is Cold Too Long

Engine coolant temperature remains below normal operating temperatures during vehicle travel (Thermostat).

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 03-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #191
ZB_WJ
2004 WJ 

Why am I just now finding your build? Doh!

Is that an iPhone app
That monitors the wj?

This forum is a double edge blade, it's saved me thousands in repairs and cost me thousands in mods
ZB_WJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #192
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Nope, Android. It's called Torque.
Unread 03-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #193
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

The screenshots are from my Android phone but I'm 99% sure iPhone offers the same App - "Torque". I really like it in that you can monitor live data, scan and clear codes, customize the screens, etc. Updates come out as well for obvious reasons but I believe they also may contain new options/features. You can also type in your own formulas (many of which can be found on the internet) for added dials/monitors.

To set it all up, all you need is the App and an OBDII dongle. The app is free with adds or $5 (I think) for the full version. Per the dongle, I bought an expensive one because I didn't want to toy with the cheap stuff not working. I've heard the cheap ones work fine though.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 03-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #194
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I picked up a new thermostat (195F) today and plan to slap it on this evening. It was pretty chilly this morning which made me notice I'm not getting as much heat inside now that the current thermostat is stuck open. I also hope my gas mileage jumps up a tiny bit. It's not horrible (maybe around 12 - it fluctuates depending on my week) but it has definitely dropped lately.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 03-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #195
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I swapped out my thermostat Friday evening - not at all too soon before the big snow storm came through and dropped 17" of wet, heavy snow on us. Now that the thermostat is working properly, everything seems to be going well - I definitely have plenty of heat now!

While the snow fell yesterday, I worked on my work benches in the garage. While it isn't really jeep related, I've been wanting to get these finished up so I can clean up the garage and start parking in it again.

This first one will probably be my 'main' work bench. The way it's built (we lucked out a little), it can fold both up and down, depending on where I want it. I built the 'frame' on the wall to store tools in. A friend that was helping me had a great idea to put a gate latch on each side which would allow me to lock my tools up when I'm away.

This second one can only fold up due to the height and size of it. This one is a little deeper than the first bench. Because this is on the side of the garage where I park, the friend from above had another interesting idea to build a smaller table inside the bottom of the larger table. This would allow me to pick and choose which bench size I want to use.

Pardon the mess and the 15+ gallons of used oil...

In the above picture, I didn't have the smaller bench top framed up yet. I still need to buy a few more hinges, a couple 2x2's, and a handful of latches. Depending on what I do tonight, I may tinker a little more.

Per jeep stuff, the wife wanted to play in the snow a little last night. When I hopped in the WJ to get wood for the fire, we decided to go explore some. At that point, there was probably a foot or more snow on the ground. I'll tell ya, I was shocked what I could drive through without batting an eye. The DuraTracs almost made me *too* comfortable in the snow. Unbelievable.

RJ then started brushing off her TJ. She wanted to leave the flat top on it...

Lastly, I received some JeepForum decals/stickers. These are much different than the first one! I'm not sure where to even stick them. I like them but kind of hoped for the original one like what I have on the back of the WJ. Oh well.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Tags
build thread , chrishager , grand cherokee , ome hd , wj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.