ChrisHager's 04 WJ Build Thread - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > ChrisHager's 04 WJ Build Thread

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #166
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

The OEM Brush Guard is finished and mounted! Here's a write up I did for painting/mounting it: OEM Brush Guard - Painting and Mounting (Pic Heavy).

Here are a few pictures - I blacked out my grill while I was getting the brush guard ready yesterday as well. I kind of like it.

The finish after buffing:

You can see it sits off the hood a bit:

ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #167
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

That does look really fanatic after all that work! I went though and skimmed the other thread and viewed all the pictures. Really turned out well, I am sure you could sell that for a larger sum than what you paid for it if you had to or wanted to! Also, time to paint the bumpers and cladding black to match it all!
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #168
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Thanks! I thought the paint turned out pretty good as well. I do need to think about painting the cladding now!
Unread 02-11-2013, 11:28 PM   #169
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

I've been toying with painting mine for over 2 years. Always seemed like too big of a project to do.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 02-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #170
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

The Timber

I had a bunch of work to do on my Mom's Isuzu Trooper this past weekend which meant I needed to run errands Saturday morning. One of these errands took me to the parent's house to get some gear oil. Being that my younger brother was in town visiting and therefore riding along, I decided to drive into the timber just a ways for a couple minutes. I was surprised I was able make it as far in as I did considering the timber is quite thick with trees and brush.

I crawled my way through a bunch of crap and popped back out. I had an itch to go a little further before continuing our errands.

I had to back down at this point. There was a massive log blocking the way that I couldn't make it over. Mind you, I was still connected and aired up. I also found a large piece of junk concrete with my control arm bracket in the above pictures.

Well naturally, the taste of wheeling was enough to speed up the work on the Trooper. After changing a few fluids, my two brothers and I loaded up in the WJ with some chainsaws and axes and headed back to make some paths. I aired down to about 11-12 psi and we headed in. Once we fought our way through the initial thicket of brush/trees, the timber opened up quite a bit.

In the above pictures, I was leading the way with the chainsaw, my younger brother was driving the WJ, and my twin brother is seen holding one of my Fiskar axes (I love those things!).

We made pretty good progress for an initial path through. There's a nice hill climb that will get your wheels spinning if you don't have enough momentum. Here's me popping up at the top:

Here's a video with a bit of a view of the 'bottoms':

http://s1103.beta.photobucket.com/us...34f3f.mp4.html

And one of me climbing up the hill side:

http://s1103.beta.photobucket.com/us...55dc8.mp4.html

I took this when I was airing back up and thought it was kind of neat:

I didn't get any major damage - just some slight trail rash and smashed up window visor things (got a little too close to a tree ):

All in all, we had a nice afternoon. It was a little chilly but nothing we couldn't handle. The DuraTracs did quite well, though the hardness of the ground + a little moisture made it tough for them to bite in (we have clay type dirt here). I was glad to see I didn't pop a bead at 11 psi. I drove over a log towards the beginning that had the tire smashed almost all the way to the rim.

On another note, and possibly unrelated to the timber excursion, I'm leaking transmission fluid from what appears to be one of the hoses near the front end. The strange thing, though, is that it doesn't leak when idling. I only notice transmission fluid dripping after a 20 minute or more drive. I'm hoping I don't bust a hose this week as I'll have time this weekend to really look into the issue.

Lastly, I picked up one of these beasts. I needed it to finish up my project on the Trooper. I'm excited to use this on Saturday when changing my brakes/rotating tires!

1/2" Impact Wrench - 7.5 amp - 345 ft-lbs

Unread 02-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #171
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Tranny fluid won't leak when you're idling in park because the pump is not running. In gear or in neutral, the pump will run, which is why it shows the leak after a drive.
Unread 02-19-2013, 02:19 PM   #172
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Make sense. I ran through the gears and checked my level in neutral right after I noticed the leak. The level was fine and I didn't see any new dripping immediately following. Then again, I probably didn't have it in neutral long enough to allow the leak to... ehh... leak.
Unread 02-20-2013, 07:48 AM   #173
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

If you did break a hose between the engine and the radiator, could take this time to add and Aux Trans Cooler and run some new lines! I must say the 42re has really appreciated that mod!

Looks like the wheeling went really well though, always nice to put the Jeep on some dirt. Maybe I'll get a free weekend soon.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 02-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #174
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
If you did break a hose between the engine and the radiator, could take this time to add and Aux Trans Cooler and run some new lines! I must say the 42re has really appreciated that mod!
Haha dang, that's an interesting idea... I don't need any more ideas right now!

With that said, I remember a discussion on the flow direction from back when. I think billzcat1 was involved in the discussion as well so maybe he will pop in here with some words of wisdom. Anyways, when you installed your trans cooler, did you use your factory cooler as well? If yes, in what order did you hook them up?:

From Transmission, to Factory Cooler, to Aux Cooler, to Transmission

OR

From Transmission, to Aux Cooler, to Factory Cooler, to Transmission

Quote:
Looks like the wheeling went really well though, always nice to put the Jeep on some dirt. Maybe I'll get a free weekend soon.
It did go well. We had a good time and since I was only a few minutes from home, convenience made it that much more enjoyable - especially if something broke!

Unread 02-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #175
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
Haha dang, that's an interesting idea... I don't need any more ideas right now!

With that said, I remember a discussion on the flow direction from back when. I think billzcat1 was involved in the discussion as well so maybe he will pop in here with some words of wisdom. Anyways, when you installed your trans cooler, did you use your factory cooler as well? If yes, in what order did you hook them up?:

From Transmission, to Factory Cooler, to Aux Cooler, to Transmission <-- This way, use the factory cooler to cool it some, then go through the second round in the aux cooler

It did go well. We had a good time and since I was only a few minutes from home, convenience made it that much more enjoyable - especially if something broke!

Hey, it's a decent idea! I have a whole write up on it below

Wheeling in the backyard, or basically backyard does have benefits!

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 02-20-2013, 01:45 PM   #176
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Yeah being close to home is great. Plus, we had an ATV (Honda Rincon 650) with us in case I needed a tug and the TJ was only about 10 minutes away if that didn't work. Fortunately, neither were needed!

I found the post I was thinking of. Billzcat1 did it a bit differently that you. For anyone reading this post, the whole thread contains good information and is worth a look over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The concept is shedding excess heat from the transmission without adding load to the radiator. Plus, I live in those "cold climates". I only need maximum cooling those 10 days a year when I'm either towing or wheeling in Eastern WA in 90° weather + high altitudes. But for 330 days a year, outdoor temp is less than 80°F.

What I'm going for: Hot fluid out of trans into aux cooler. Cooled fluid into radiator and possibly heated back up if it is cooled too far. If the aux cooler doesn't cool it enough the radiator will help. If it cools below 180, then the cold-side radiator tank will heat it back up. Remember that the OEM cooler is on the cold side of the radiator which will be below the indicated temperature of the gauge.

What I'm trying to avoid - driving in normal 40-70° weather and having 150°F fluid. But if the fluid coming out of that trans is hot and I'm not moving all that much, I want to take the load off the radiator.

As I said... looking for the ability to shed heat. Not to get the coldest fluid possible at all times.
Unread 02-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #177
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Very interesting but the key is that he lives in the cooler climate. I believe that is why he did it that way. For me, I live in the "south" where the summers are nasty. End of May through beginning of September it is HOT. June-August can hit high's of 105°+ with 150% humidity haha. Add that plus me driving fast, and towing the majority of the summer, that is why I chose, "coldest fluid at at all time". Also, our Jeeps do not have the transmission fluid cooler in the radiator, ours are located in the AC condenser.

I am not sure if he will agree with me however, factoring in "my" climate, my habits, and towing... I believe I made the right choice.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 02-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #178
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Also, our Jeeps do not have the transmission fluid cooler in the radiator, ours are located in the AC condenser.
That's a good point which I completely overlooked.

RICHARD! Thoughts?! Hahaha.

Unread 02-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #179
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

The condensor-based transmission coolers were `04 only. It's extremely efficient and actually rather large as it spans the full width of the condensor. However, when the AC is running it drops efficiency a LOT. Adding an aux cooler and replacing all of the hoses (make sure you get the RIGHT transmission cooler return line, it is pressure rated 4x higher than most high-pressure rubber hoses). Both Michael and I have done aux cooler additions. How it is plumbed (pre- or post-OE cooler) is a matter for some debate but the ultimate answer is... it doesn't really matter. Each offers certain pros and cons but the end result is more or less the same either way.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 04:22 PM   #180
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Thanks for the tips guys! Once I poke around this weekend and see what's leaking, I'll look into adding one. I'm sure my 42RE would be happy with added cooling, especially for summer towing.

I like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
How it is plumbed (pre- or post-OE cooler) is a matter for some debate but the ultimate answer is... it doesn't really matter. Each offers certain pros and cons but the end result is more or less the same either way.
Extra cooling is extra cooling. Yet again, I was making a simple idea more difficult!

Tags
build thread , chrishager , grand cherokee , ome hd , wj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.